The Man Who Cried - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Man Who Cried Reviews

½ October 2, 2017
It's not bad but it is merely a collection of clichés with no personality: girl is separated from her family, gets bullied, remains working-class despite the temptations, hooks up with the laconic, 'cool' outsider, reunites with her dying father to sing him 'their song'. In the meantime the WWII manhunt takes place but who cares as long as a) gypsy Depp looks good, b) Blanchett and Turturro say things in stupid accents and c) someone sings that ditty every time an 'important' scene comes round.
November 14, 2016
Very linear and forgettable, but also quite harmless and watchable.
March 26, 2015
It was an alright movie slow in some places a lot of singing acting was not to bad Christina Ricci played a good roll so did Cate Blanchett as well
½ November 16, 2014
I may be growing as a movie enthusiast. This is another period piece, 1920s and 30s, and I must admit I enjoyed it. Ricci is wonderful as Suzie, the misplaced Russian Jew in search of her father. Johnny Depp, as always, takes a role and gives it a little extra flair and oddity. Excellent acting and a decent story, though knowing history makes it predictable. A nice movie about a tough subject.
July 17, 2014
I watched this movie 7 years ago. Now, I don't remember one single shot of it. So, it doesn't worth it :/ I give 2 stars anyway :))
July 7, 2014
its a pretty dull story.
February 5, 2014
One line summary: Russian Jewish singer makes her way to America during the Nazi period in Europe.

------------------------------------------

Fegele (later Suzi) grows up in Russia in a small Jewish settlement. Her father leaves the family to seek his fortune in America. After he has left, the settlement is burnt to the ground, and many die. After reports of this, the father does not look for his daughter.

Suzi gets evacuated to England, and learns other languages there. When she is a bit older, she expresses an interest in singing and show business, and gets a berth in Paris. There she meets Lola, another expat Russian; Cesar, a gypsy; Dante, an Italian opera singer; Felix, who runs the musicals that Dante stars in.

Paris is OK for Suzi for a while, but eventually the Nazis get closer, and closer, then take Paris. After a period of occupation, it becomes clear that she should leave. She would like to stay with Cesar, but he advises her to go. Lola gets tickets for Lola and Suzi, and they get on a ship headed for America.

Do they make the crossing safely? Does Suzi find her father in America?

--------Scores-------

Cinematography: 9/10 Fine looking picture for the most part.

Sound: 8/10 OK.

Acting: 5/10 Kudos to Johnny Depp, Christina Ricci, Harry Dean Stanton, and Cate Blanchette for individual performances. The chemistry between characters seemed a bit lacking, though. John Turturro was a major detriment, especially the dreadfully fake lip-synching. His portrayal of a racist bully was fairly good, but did not make up for the rotten performance as a singer.

Screenplay: 5/10 This was a nice 15 minute story stretched over 99 minutes.
½ October 17, 2013
I remember it was not a really interesting one.
½ September 27, 2013
it was just ok for me
September 19, 2013
muy buena pelicula ojala la dieran por cable.
July 6, 2013
An inconsequential and dull movie, the main characters were hardly characters at all, with minimal dialogue and an excess of blank or tritely "sexy" stares. Events bore no relation to each other, our heroine seeming to be unaware of and unaffected by all. At the finish, I was left with the questions, "That's it? And so what?" and felt as if I had cheaply wasted my time.
April 24, 2013
serious but very touching movie.. and its not understandable how after going through such things in past, now jews are killing other innocent people just to take their land... :s
February 21, 2013
u prijevodu "cmizdravi cigo"
½ February 6, 2013
Tengo opinion dividida en esta pelicula. Por un lado, el guión me pareció débil, la trama no me enganchó realmente en ningún momento y el cast, principalmente Johnny Depp y Harry Dean Stanton (con un papel muy pequeño) no se aprovecharon al máximo, siendo Cate Blanchet quien resalta. La pelicula esta ambientada primero en Rusia, Inglaterra y luego en Francia, justo antes de ser ocupada, pero como pelicula sobre la ocupación nazi de Europa no funciona. Sin embargo, es un verdadero deleite visual, bellamente fotografiada por Sacha Vierny (leyenda que trabajó repetidamente con Peter Greenaway, en Hiroshima mon amour y en Belle de Jour de Luis Buñuel), siendo esta su principal cualidad (Christina Ricci esta hermosa...). Suzie (Christina Ricci), es una chica judía extremadamente introvertida, otro de los riesgos que la pelicula se toma para su personaje principal es que su dialogo es muy escaso, pero que por la expresiva mirada de Christina Ricci, logra transmitir lo deseado. Me gusto el detalle de la relación que Suzie llevaba con su padre, pues para comunicarse y establecer vinculo, utilizan el canto en vez de palabras. Sally Potter hace un trabajo regular dirigiendo, con algunos encuadres algo arriesgados, aunque hay que saber que no es directora de cine de tiempo completo, pues también se dedica a la danza, a la música y al teatro. Esta versatilidad de la directora es otro de los aciertos de la pelicula, pues las puestas en escena y los bailes gitanos, asi como el playback de los cantos estan muy bien realizados. Vale la pena darle una oportunidad, pero algo floja a fin de cuentas.
January 5, 2013
The characters didn't really develop and the story line fell short. I didn't understand Half the movie because there was no direction
December 29, 2012
This is a really great movie and it has a great story to it too. :D Every movie that Johnny Depp has played in and is going to play in, I will absolutely love!<3 :D
½ December 21, 2012
"It's better to run and live than to stay and die."
--- Cesar (Johnny Depp).

I didn't know what to expect from this film: for one thing, it stars the ubber funny and talented, John Turturro (Jesus Quintana from The Big Lebowski), and for another the title was a little odd, like a fable; so, I wasn't sure if I was to expect a comedy or a fairy tale. But after reading the synopsis, I see it's not as light as I first believe; in fact, it's exactly the opposite. Everyone did a really awesome job, Ricci was an odd casting choice since I'm sure there's a bevy of capable Bristish actresses who could've filled the role, but Ricci is an indie sweetheart, so I guess it's not really surprising. Cate Blanchett (Lola) is as usual superb and Johnny Depp was so cute (but a hint creepy), but John Torturro takes the cake, he was simply awesome as the devilish Dante. Overall the subject matter was really interesting, the acting was good and the conclusion was satisfying, plus seeing a young Johnny Depp is always a visual treat!
December 19, 2012
Deffinatly if you like gypsy movies!
December 7, 2012
Havent seen yet. Looks like it could be watchable.
November 30, 2012
How hot is Johnny Depp in this movie? But this is probably the worst movie he made with Christina Ricci...