Marius Reviews

• Mar 12, 2018

We waTCHED THIS, THE FIRST INSTALLMENT OF THE faNNY TRILOGY LAST NIGHT. iT HAS A VERY NON-hOLLYWOOD ENDING THAT i WILL NOT SPOIL. tHE CHARACTERS fANNY, MARIUS, AND cESAR ARE EACH STRUGGLING WITH THEIR OWN DESIRES AND THE CONFINES OF THEIR SOCIETY. tHE FATHER-SON RELATIONSHIP OF MARIUS AND CESAR IS PARTICULARLY TOUCHING.

• Apr 23, 2016

Lately since delving into some rich & absorbing French Cinema I have stumbled across an amazing trilogy centered around a difficult relationship set on a port in Marseilles. I think it's one of the most truthful & realistic romantic relationships I have seen put to celluloid. The story is so simple Bar Keep's son (Marius) torn between life on the sea & life with his first love Fanny a local girl. The first film focuses on their love & struggles & showcases such truth & realism...you just believe in the characters. I was so surprised how quickly I was whisked away into this Marseilles world, a terrific & wonderful film.

• Jul 01, 2015

I guess you gotta be French in order to really appreciate it's charms. I found it pretty dull.

• May 10, 2014

Stunning! I can watch it over and over again, and I still cry every time.

Stunning! I can watch it over and over again, and I still cry every time.

• Dec 09, 2012

This was one of the early sound films. "Marius" us the 1st of the trilogy. I have seen the later English language version, which was in color and combined all into one fim- it's titled just "Fanny", stars Leslie Caron, Maurice Chevalier and Charles Boyer. It is entertaining but "Hollywood-ized", less realistic and lighter in tone and I think lacks the poignance and charm of this earlier version, which is seriously dramatic at times and more lighthearted at other times.

• Sep 22, 2012

I've only seen this three times. Not enough!

I've only seen this three times. Not enough!

• Jan 29, 2010

Il se peut que tu aimes la marine française, mais la marine française te dit m**de!

• Jul 07, 2009

An utterly charming tale of a young man battling between wanderlust and a love for his childhood sweetheart; said sweetheart's internal battle about how to best express her love (make him stay or let him go); and his father's struggle to see him as a grown man. The atmosphere of this film is magical and lovely and, best of all, not mawkish. Part 1 of a trilogy--bring on the next one.

• Oct 14, 2008

A pretty cliche tale, all told, but as a Francophile I couldn't help but enjoy it. Korda and Pagnol do a wonderful job conjuring up a romantic, provincial atmosphere for their Marseilles. Raimu is fantastic as well. (The leading man and lady, less so.) Looking forward to the other two in this trilogy.

• Sep 06, 2008

The story and the lover lines between this bartender and his beloved fishvendor could sound lame and tired. But there are the colorful lines, the irascible characters, the inimitable taste & ambiance of the Vieux Port, the smell of the colonial Marseilles that make it an instant, timeless and such emotional Provencal classic.