M*A*S*H - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

M*A*S*H Reviews

October 16, 2016
Dated and just not that funny, Robert Altman's film adaptation of the satirical novel doesn't have half the cultural impact that the TV series that followed it did.
½ July 12, 2016
I must have watched this movie not too long after I returned from the Vietnam War. I simply don't remember my reaction at the time. Watching it now wasn't nearly as funny as many others seem to think it is. Making absurd jokes about the Army is one thing but treating the Christian religion with such contempt as this film does is not OK. I'm no women's libber but the excesses taken in the portrayal of military nurses seemed pretty disrespectful to me. I doubt I'll ever watch it again.
May 22, 2016
Set during the Korean War, two surgeons, Captains "Hawkeye" Pierce (played by Donald Sutherland) and "Duke" Forrest (Tom Skerritt), join the 4077th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital (MASH), located three miles from the front lines. Both are draftees and care little for military protocols and conventions. They are soon joined by surgeon even more anarchic and insubordinate in his attitude, Captain "Trapper" John McIntyre (Elliott Gould). The unit's commander is the laid back-yet-efficient Lt Colonel Henry Blake (Roger Bowen). He is assisted by Corporal "Radar" O'Reilly (Gary Burghoff). Hawkeye, Duke and Trapper soon have the camp running to their rather non-military tune but run into Major Frank Burns (Robert Duvall) and the new chief nurse Major Margaret O'Houlihan (Sally Kellerman), both of whom being by-the-book permanent military types. Hawkeye, Duke and Trapper set out to undermine the pair. High jinks ensue.

A wonderfully funny and subversive military satire, directed by Robert Altman. Some hilarious dialogue and scenes (the football scenes are side-splittingly funny), with the whole movie having a delightfully irreverent and anarchic tone. Against the general backdrop of comedy we also have some reasonably graphic operating theatre scenes. This shows the grim reality of what the characters are facing, and why they need humour to remain sane. It's not all satire...

Robert Altman directs with a loose grip (to the point that apparently many of the lines were ad-libbed) and this helps the movie. The sense of disorder is heightened.

Even more famous than this movie is the TV series that it spawned. That lasted 11 years.
½ May 4, 2016
Breezy comedy about a bunch of soldiers who certainly do not make up the image of America's fighting men. Hijinks, sex, booze, pranks, even a football game. Put Altman on the map and deservedly so.
½ April 27, 2016
The premise and characters are good, but this film hasn't aged well: what seemed bold and subversive 46 years ago comes across as childishly sexist and racist now. I guess that's the risk of a film that's so in tune with its time.
January 28, 2016
I sure wish I liked it. Despite some decent laughs in the final quarter of the movie, during a football game that acts as a clever, goofy metaphor for the war M*A*S*H depicts, most of this movie seemed to follow a series of bullying antics orchestrated by surgeons Hawkeye (Donald Sutherland), Trapper (Elliott Gould), and Duke (Tom Skerritt). Without much thought for the cruelty of their acts, broadcasting sex over the military base intercom and hosting a ritual for a man ready to commit suicide were interesting enough to warrant laughs. Beyond that, there was a very dated quality in how the soldiers humiliated anyone who dared to be an outsider. The overtly religious, poor-tempered Frank Burns (Robert Duvall) is teased to the point of a mental breakdown, the uptight Hot Lips (Sally Kellerman) is stripped of any dignity until she no longer holds any respect for her position, and one soldier, Painless (John Schuck), who questions whether or not he is attracted to women is naturally treated to a surprise sexual visit from a nurse. Look, I can understand why this was likely hilarious during its release, but these elaborate pranks do not hold up well.

The aimless form of storytelling plays everything out like a montage of the best times that our heroes had in this camp, and, looking past the cruelty of the pranks, you can see a strong sense of community in the camp. Whenever one soldier rallies up the other men and women to start singing, I long for a greater emphasis on the war aspect of the tale. Going further with the idea of M*A*S*H being a montage movie, perhaps the movie is a representation of what soldiers WANT to remember about their times at camp. Sure, everyone had to deal with death, and those were tough moments. (To clarify, there was one scene of dealing with death, which only led to greater antics.) The cruelty of the pranks must then be how everyone copes, because war blows. Justifying the actions is easy enough for both audience members and the soldiers on the screen. As a black comedy, M*A*S*H felt very hit-and-miss. If it were a war movie with a black comedic edge, I could see M*A*S*H ultimately succeeded. Close, but not quite.
January 3, 2016
+: Solid characters; made me want to give the TV series a fair shake; theme song was in my head for DAYS.

-: Not so much a plot as it was a collection of sketches; female character development was nonexistent and the sexism didn't sit too well with me.
December 7, 2015
I've liked some of Robert Altman's movies, more in the later years like Short Cuts, but this is definitely his funniest endeavor. Altman knows how to balance humor and drama well without making it like a spoof yet still holding on to wacky scenes. Great screenplay and great ensemble most notably Donald Sutherland, Robert Duvall, Elliott Gould, and Sally Kellerman
½ November 14, 2015
Speaking of depicting war's absurdity of and distortion to mankind, M*A*S*H clearly surpasses other films with the same theme with its ultra humour. Almost every dialogue and scene can laugh your head off. And for funny, I mean it is really funny, not those stupid jokes and idiotic characters amusing nobody. Probably Robert Altman's best, at least for the comedy genre.
½ October 28, 2015
War is absurd, as absurd as it is to have representatives of religions in the battle field. Altman made a great comedy film about this absurdity and a satyrical black humour that sometimes is really cruel and irreverent.
Robert B.
October 3, 2015
The MASH movie was different, as one would expect from an Altman film. The acting was fine. The content was not much more than a string of jokes and pranks, some were amusing and some were a bit evil. I can't compare it to the series since that was before my time. I didn't dislike it but I would not recommend it either.
½ September 29, 2015
Pessoalmente, aprecio muito a criação de universos paralelos fílmicos nas quais os movimentos de expansão/contração requerem a compreensão da lógica interna de seus componentes, não possuem aplicabilidade real imediata.

Embora os filmes almejem em geral algum flerte com a realidade com uma mensagem elaborada a partir do espaço racional de seus conceptores, às vezes a distância entre o discurso e a aplicação de suas bases exige retorcer ou distorcer os elementos básicos que o fundamentam para compreender a relação.

A chance de transmitir a mensagem é cada vez mais opaca na medida em que esses mundos necessitam de tratamento mais sofisticado para a percepção dos pontos em comum.

MASH utiliza de um elaborado trabalho de construção de um microuniverso para denunciar e por vezes evidenciar através do exagero e do absurdo os problemas morais e consequentes de um grupo preso a normas específicas e condutas definidas (muitas levando a uma distorção completa do ideal, moral e justo).

Daí desfila em meio a uma guerra onde mortos, feridos e sangue clamam por auxílio, um local onde o sexismo, a trapaça, o humor e a crítica à religião reinam absolutos sem fronteiras através da supremacia do poder hierárquico e dos mandos e desmandos das autoridades que dominam o pensamento.

Aqui é o som que emerge como soberano ao invés do tempo ou espaço, invadindo, perturbando e percorrendo os arredores do hospital. Ele está presente em tudo e jamais se cala, seja expondo personagens controversos através de um microfone escondido, seja num ritual de morte sem sentido, seja estrangulando a voz de personagens sem força quando outros sons se destacam mais quando falam e o público sequer consegue compreender o que dizem e muito mais.

Bom filme, que infelizmente ainda hoje vejo críticas pesadas ao que parecem não ter percebido o tom irônico e irreverente. A estes sugiro rever porque por detrás da capa de comédia irresponsável há, em uma camada mais profunda, um roteiro inteligente e ácido pronto para ser dissecado. MASH jamais seria um de meus filmes preferidos simplesmente por preferir a comédia de outros subgêneros, mas é muito agradável de se ver e bem melhor que eu pensava (não gosto de humor com guerra nem terror).
September 15, 2015
One of my favorite comedies, and a lasting tribute to the talent of Robert Altman.
½ September 5, 2015
As fine and well made a film Altman has crafted....just tone perfect.
August 17, 2015
As great as this film is, it's one of those movies where it's hard to watch again after the first time.
July 28, 2015
M*A*S*H is funny and amusing, but with a dated and irrelevant story
June 28, 2015
Very outdated to the point that I could hardly sit through it. I am not sure where its classic reputation comes from. It's truly horrible. (First and only viewing - 5/17/2015)
½ June 5, 2015
Robert Altman's film about wartime Korea actually has very little to do with Korea and everything to do with the counterculture revolution, circa 1968 or so, going on in the good old U.S. of A. So its the squares against the hippies more or less, with the backdrop being the blood and guts of that nigh forgotten "police action" (that mainly presaged our other police actions all across the globe). Practically the best thing about this film is how, while capturing the zeitgeist of the times, the swing of the societal pendulum towards liberalism, it also predicted the fall of that same as well because none of the "cool" and "smart" guys actually have anything better to offer in terms of an answer to societal woes.
½ May 31, 2015
Extremely hilarious, though the plot was nonsensical
½ March 14, 2015
I will be writing something here. Pleasant.