McLintock! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

McLintock! Reviews

June 17, 2016
John Wayne in a comedy. At first you wouldn't think this would work at all, but it actually did work well.
½ March 29, 2016
"McLintock" es la historia de un potentado ganadero, su indomable esposa y su joven hija que, gracias a la potente química entre John Wayne y Maureen O'Hara (su cuarta colaboración juntos) y a la relajada dirección de Andrew V. McLaglen, logra ofrecer todo lo que un Western debe ofrecer: puñetazos, balaceras, cabalgatas, indios con carácter, mujeres fuertes, borracheras y mucho humor. Si usted es amante de las películas del Oeste, "McLintock!" es una joya que no puede perderse y si usted es nuevo en el género, bien puede comenzar con esta maravillosa cinta. Quedará encantado, enganchado y domado.
December 27, 2015
My favorite John Wayne movie! Great story line ... western humor; recognition/respect for the plight of the American Indian Comanche nation; emerging stars (Stephanie Powers, Patrick Wayne, Jerry Van Dyke). Definitely a movie that you can watch multiple times. John Wayne was great!
November 19, 2015
If Nancy Meyers directed a sexist / racist western, this would be it. It's pure and utter rom-com fluff with little-to-no narrative or character heft, not to mention some awful patronizing of Native Americans and gaspingly poor treatment of women. Clearly its only goal was to be entertaining, but even there it fails. Loud, boring, and unbearable.
½ September 13, 2015
Cheesy and childish, but it had some cute moments.
March 29, 2015
Dull and irritating.

Really just a platform for John Wayne (as GW McLintock) to strut
around, showing that he's the boss. The plot and dialogue could not
have been tailored more to Wayne's ego than if he had written it
himself.

Everything else seems secondary, and hammy. There is a sub-plot about
the rights and heritage of Native Americans, but it is superficial and
patronizing.

There is also an initial attempt at, at last, having a strong female
character, the equal of John Wayne. This theme, with Maureen O'Hara as
Mclinkock's wife, seemed like it had potential but the whole
interaction between McLintock and his wife seemed contrived, hammy and
implausible. Ultimately, any thoughts that we might see a movie where a
woman has equal standing to a John Wayne character is destroyed in the
final few scenes.

So nothing going for this movie. Even the beautiful and vivacious
Maureen O'Hara can't save it.
½ January 27, 2015
So watchable. Stephanie Powers and Jerry Van Dyke are a hoot to watch as teenagers.
July 14, 2014
I've finally found a John Wayne movie that's characters could hold up how plotless it is.
May 31, 2014
You spanked me!

George Washington McLintock (GW) is a wealthy land owner that is a respectable man and a traditionalist. His wife left him some years ago and took their daughter with her. Her daughter returns home during a turbulent time in the village; and surprisingly, she returns with his wife. Unfortunately, the town is divided by a real estate agent that wishes to throw the Indians off their land. GW tries to keep the peace while building a relationship again with his family.

"I've been punched a many of times in my life but never for hiring anybody."

Andrew V. McLaglen, director of Shenandoah, Chisum, One More Train to Rob, Gun the Man Down, Man in the Vault, Sahara (1983), and The Sea Wolves, delivers McLintock. The storyline for this picture is actually fairly entertaining and a unique addition to the western genre. The characters are very likable and I enjoyed the script. The acting was solid and the cast includes John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, Patrick Wayne, Stefanie Powers, and Bruce Cabot.

"I said what I said and I'll stand by it till death."

This is a movie I grabbed off Netflix since it was a western I had never seen and a highly regarded Wayne picture. I did find this a worthwhile addition to the genre and borderline worth adding to your DVD collection if you're a Wayne or western fan. Overall, this film isn't perfect and is definitely cheesy in spots, but is definitely worth a viewing.

"Don't say it's a fine morning or I'll shoot you."

Grade: B
May 10, 2014
This was just an ok comedy western featuring John Wayne as a town bigshot very comfortable with ordering the town around, but less so when it comes to his own family. This film sort of slid off on me, but the Duke seems to be having a good time.
April 28, 2014
possibly john Wayne's best movie in my opinion.. good laughs and enough action to keep you watching
½ December 2, 2013
A comedy western using 'The Taming Of The Shrew' as its basis, though any major resemblance to The Bards work is minimal at most. Wayne and O'Hara spar well on screen but ultimately this doesn't really go anywhere especially with the comedy sitting a little uneasy next to Wayne's politics.
½ October 7, 2013
It's not one of the Dukes best, but it not bad. It kinda feels like it should have been a sequel to one of his other movies, so the characters could have had more of a history. Younger viewers will not enjoy, but it is a good look at the old way of making films.
July 20, 2013
When you think of Westerns, you think of John Wayne. John Wayne starred in many hit Western from the 1930's to 1970's, with films like The Searchers, Rio Bravo, True Grit, and Stagecoach. His 1963 film McLintock is another one of The Duke's biggest hits, and is a memorable western.

Meet George Washington McLintock (John Wayne), a cattle baron who owns most of the town of McLintock, but still feels unhappy. He intends to sell off the land to the government when he dies so they can build a national park, but is pestered a lot by old Indian friends, led by Strother Martin, a corrupt land agent named Douglas (Gordon Jones), and the territory governor, Cuthbert H. Humphrey (Robert Lowery).

But his biggest problem comes when his separated wife, Katherine (Maureen O'Hara), returns to town to get a divorce and also await the arrival of their daughter, Rebecca (Stefanie Powers), in order to decide who's keeping custody of her. The rest of the film focuses on Rebecca's struggle with love and McLintock's issues with his wife and the Indians.

Other stars appearing in McLintock include John Wayne's son Patrick as hired hand Devlin Warren, who falls for Rebecca, Jerry Van Dyke (yes, Dick Van Dyke's brother) plays Matt Douglas Jr., the son of the corrupt land agent and also has a crush on Rebecca, and Yvonne de Carlo as Louise Warren, Devlin's mom who works as McLintock's housekeeper and cook and has problems with Katherine.

Now as you probably know, I'm not a huge fan of westerns, but I can still watch them for reviewing purposes. I have no problem with John Wayne. I think he is a talented actor with a sense of toughness and personality to get through an entire picture. While this is not Wayne's superior work, McLintock is an entertaining film nonetheless.

Wayne had no real reason to make this film, it was only because his previous film, The Alamo, was a notorious flop and it cost him lots of money. In order to recoup his losses from that film, Wayne made a simple, easy Western that he knew his fans would enjoy. While I'm not a huge western nut. I must say that I was entertained by it.

First off, this film is funny. And I mean funny. Generally when you think of John Wayne, you think of him as a tough actor with a serious look, Here, he keeps his toughness, but also shows his comedic side as well, and it really surprised me. A serious scene involving a near-killing of an Indian turns into a hilarious brawl down a mud pit, caused by The Duke himself. Another funny sequence involves Wayne smacking Maureen O'Hara with a coal shovel (It sounds abusive, but trust me, it's actually pretty funny). And the funniest scene of all? A drunken Wayne attempting to climb up the stairs of his own house. It's hysterical.

What about the cast? John Wayne, of coarse, is funny tough, and cool. Maureen O'Hara, a longtime collaborator with Wayne, is entertaining and funny. Stefanie Powers is attractive and sassy as the daughter. And the rest of the supporting cast is excellent as well, even Wayne's son. I wasn't particularly fond of Jerry Van Dyke in the film, cause he looked like a cheap imitator of his brother, and his scenes could have been cut, but his scenes doesn't ruin what is otherwise a good film.

And last but not least, there's the score by DeVol, probably best known for his work on The Brady Bunch. DeVol is not one of my favorite composers, mostly due to The Brady Bunch, but his score is surprisingly done well here. His score didn't feel kiddy-kiddy here, like on, you guessed it, The Brady Bunch.

While not perfect, especially with Dick Van Dyke's not-talented brother in the picture and some political scenes that dulled the film a bit, McLintock is an entertaining western, with a good and surprisingly funny performance from John Wayne and some crazy comedic sequences. I only recommend this to diehard John Wayne fans, but I still enjoyed it nonetheless.

"Somebody oughta belt you in the mouth!"
May 23, 2013
Teaches an important part of U.S. history in the way only John Wayne can.
May 19, 2013
see it every time it is on and that is a few times!! love it
½ May 13, 2013
John and Maureen at it again, one of my fav's.
½ May 13, 2013
A western film that combines great humor, some action, and the eternal battle of the sexes out west--A Merry Mudbath!!
April 30, 2013