The Mechanic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mechanic Reviews

November 14, 2017
A solid enough action film that inevitably got sillier and sillier as the acts went on. Nowt wrong with Statham doing his stuff, but shame the ending was telegraphed from about 45 minutes out...
½ November 4, 2017
I liked it. Good action, good little twist, not a bad movie.
October 9, 2017
unrealistic but fun in an action type of way
October 1, 2017
ok film. A lot of action but plot isn't that great.
May 8, 2017
I couldn't really get anything out of this movie, as I felt as though it was just a bunch of different plots and movies jammed into one. The plot of this movie wasn't too complex or anything, just a standard hitman action movie. But that's literally all it was, no other twists or turns, literally just a bland action hitman movie. If that's what you're looking for, than this movie will deliver, the action scenes are watchable and Jason Statham (Arthur Bishop) is a great action movie actor, so he'll hold you into the movie. Other than that, this movie offered the minimum that it needed to, the characters were abundant in this movie, but it only cared about two, the other being Ben Foster's character (Steve McKenna). Everyone else had no purpose other than to have at least some plot in this movie, and that is where this movie crashes and falls. It wasn't very exciting, it never captivated my attention, and if you've seen at least one other action movie in your life, this movie was nothing that special. Mediocre action scenes and decent acting by Statham and Foster are enough to keep this movie from being an absolute disaster, but "The Mechanic" is still definitely not worth watching.
April 29, 2017
This is quite a surprisingly good hitman action thriller. Unlike other films like Hitman and Bangkok Dangerous which have weak story plots, The Mechanic triumphs dealing with friendship,betrayal,vengeance,sympathy and regret. The onscreen chemistry between Jason Statham and Ben Foster is good and the same goes the for the action scenes too. The Mechanic I must say is the first great action of 2011.
April 12, 2017
4/11/2017 (2): Good action and good acting. Could have been better, but I still liked it. This is what I expect from a Statham movie, which is a good thing.
April 10, 2017
When Jason Statham is good he is very good. In this movie I think he is very good as the silent, deadly killer for hire. It is a straightforward killer/action/thriller. The story is nothing new but it is a well working story which is nicely executed.

The story is, as I wrote above, not very original. Killer for hire finds out that his next target is his mentor and friend. As the professional he is he executes the job anyway but later discoverers that not all is as is should be. Time for revenge. A simple, straightforward and well working story.

Things are complicated a bit by Bishop taking his friend's son under his wings. Of course he wants to walk in his fathers footsteps. He is inexperienced but also undisciplined. Something that, not surprisingly, is causing problems.

I do like that Bishop stays a no bullshit hardass killer throughout the entire movie. No whining or silly emotional outbreaks or breakdowns. I also like the unemotional, silent and deadly impression of a professional assassin the he radiates.

There are quite a few fairly well done action scenes in the movie ranging from silent assassinations to the obligatory blow things up scenes. The parts where Bishop and Steves goes after the big bad guy is quite well done with some quite cool stunts without being over the top.

The ending was probably the only thing in the movie that was a bit unexpected. Unexpected in a good way that is. I quite liked the little surprise there.

Overall I as well as my son liked this movie quite a lot. I hope that Mechanic: Resurrection is as good as this one.
½ April 1, 2017
Another action adventure from Statham. The movie itself wasn't bad, but the plot was simple and predictable.
March 11, 2017
(Apparently a) Remake of a 1972 film of the same name, starring 'The Stathamator' in what I am coming to view as his signature mode: that of an elite assassin, or hit-man, or some other such-like character.

In this, he's an assassin who ends up taking on, and training, the son of his latest hit: the man who trained him. I found this to be pretty slow-burning, taking a while to get to the action scenes after the opening set-up (Statham on a hit). While some of those scenes were impressive enough, as a whole, I found myself slightly disappointed by this film: IMHO, not as good as 'The Transporter'.
½ February 1, 2017
No, this movie isn't good, but it's awesome and that's all action movies like this are supposed to be! The Mechanic surprised me a lot and was a very fun watch even if it did take itself to sereiously.
January 24, 2017
overly violent to makeup for a poor script and story going nowhere. A failure to understand and capture the tension that should have existed between old and young led to overly violent scenes that existed as lame compensation. Really ordinary film
½ January 22, 2017
Jason Statham like always does a great job in his movies
January 16, 2017
Good Statham action movie. Bit better than Hitman. No silent assassin rating though!
January 11, 2017
a hitman is ordered to kill his mentor but then takes on the dead man's son
January 9, 2017
I may have been a little too harsh on this before because of my love for the original. It's actually a pretty decent remake. Doesn't reinvent the wheel or anything, but for a time waster, it's an okay actioner.
½ January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ December 29, 2016
This is the perfect average film. With Statham you know what you're in for and it's exactly what this film delivers. Entertaining enough if you like action films.
December 17, 2016
An alright action movie. Not my favorite.
October 8, 2016
Here is an example of a brainless B-movie fare with frigid, brooding killers, high body pile ups, blazing guns with over the top action scenes. Those who are into the nasty R-violence, well this just might be your thing. As for me, the highlight was Ben Foster and Donald Sutherland.