Memento - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Memento Reviews

August 22, 2017
Memento is hands down Nolan's best film. The best way to describe it is if Nolan emptied a puzzle box onto the floor, but let each piece fall in such a way that most of the puzzle falls into place. Most of it. He let's you put the remaining pieces into place.
August 20, 2017
The narrative gimmick is a bit under cooked, but Nolan redeems it with one hell of a cynical ending.
August 18, 2017
Early Nolan. Genius.
August 15, 2017
Holy shit. This movie had me dead ass tripping. Will he ever solve this case with short term memory. Really really bad short term or is he just gonna keep going back to where he was? Unique, and original this film is gripping and very entertaining.
August 14, 2017
Great fantastic phenomenal with a great twist starring who knows but I do care and directed by one of the greatest directors of all time, Christopher Nolan. I really enjoyed this movie and the twist at the end was awesome, I won't spoil anything but I will tell you how good it is and I will definitely watch this movie again but next time with some friend that I can show the twist, that twist is on usual suspects level.
August 3, 2017
One of Christopher Nolan's first films and definitely one of his best, the movie manages to make a movie go in reverse and still end with a plot twist, the acting is great along with a characters being portrayed, definitely one of my favorites
August 2, 2017
With a plot story that is very simple yet very complex at the same time, Christopher Nolan succeeds in keeping the audience interested through his expert story structure, Jonathan Nolan's concept, and two great performances by Guy Pearce and Joe Pantoliano.
July 26, 2017
The best nonlinear movie ever made
July 26, 2017
A pure masterpiece of storytelling and mystery that always keeps you guessing
July 21, 2017
Incredibly interesting never seen a movie like it before. Starts very strong, unfortunately the way the movie is set up you have to work to keep up with the movie and that can be frustrating at points. Luckily the pay off is well worth the wait.
½ July 20, 2017
Memento is just so, so clever. A coherent storyline in a backwards structure makes the audience feel fulfilled & muddled in equal measure. Memento deceives its audience at every turn. It walks you to a point where you think you have it sussed, and it throws you for another loop. The concept of a crime-buster with short-term memory loss is genius, and it takes genuine cinematic vision to execute. Take a bow Mr Nolan. Memento's structure isn't as unique as most believe it to be (see Kurosawa's Rashomon), though it's certainly an cinematic experience. Memento's order and disorder immerses the audience into the damaged mind of central protagonist Leonard, which increases empathy for him. The performances in Memento are first class. Guy Pearce as brain-damaged Leonard is disturbingly on-point. Moss & Pantoliano are excellent. Memento is perplexing and thrills audiences while keeping them in the dark. Lack of stable continuity will inevitably alienate some viewers. Memento is a must see for film fans. A twisting, perplexing feat of filmmaking. Christopher Nolan at his best.
½ July 20, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: Where to start with 'Memento'? Well when Christopher Nolan sat down to write and direct his first big hit, if he was ever in any doubt about where to start, it certainly doesn't show in the final product. Yes this brilliant early feature from who is now arguably the greatest director working today broadcasts his confident ability and bold brilliance in all its shining glory, and in a way there it hints at much of what we might see from his future filmography whilst it also stands out as something radically different and more playful or experimental than much of his later work.
That's no mean feat, but thanks to the way Nolan establishes such a snappy and gritty tone whilst developing a wildly ambitious and occasionally thematic narrative means it is most definitely the case. But what's even more impressive than Memento's long reach is it's impressive grasp, and that largely lies in the hands of the film's human characterisation and tense energy that capture and engage to deliver a truly immersive experience that somehow keeps you right in the thick of things despite the wild ambition.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: That crazy narrative structure can get confusing at times...
VERDICT: Such a madly ambitious and madly successful film so early in a director's career is rare, but 'Memento' shows Christopher Nolan taking huge risks and delivering brilliance like very few ever manage.
July 18, 2017
It is a journey like no other that not only explores the mysterious and engaging characters in a very unique and impressive way, with great direction and writing, but also, at times, causes you to reflect upon yourself for reasons that aren't so obvious.
July 17, 2017

- Fantastic Editing

- Tremendous Cinematography

- Very Complex Themes

- Interesting Characters

Cons:
- None

Overall Grade: A+ (10/10)
July 14, 2017
Hot dang was this film a thrill ride! I enjoyed it from start to finish.
July 14, 2017
Nolan's thrillers triumph at the same thing Hitchcock's are well known for; getting the audience to feel as the main character does. His first studio film takes this to another level, twisting you around until, like the protagonist, you're not sure you remember what happened two minutes ago. Through Pearce's remarkably convincing portrayal of a tortured amnesiac the director keeps you totally entranced by his inner world and unique narrative and crafts a truly unforgettable experience.
July 11, 2017
Momento is a American neo-noir psychological thriller film directed and written by Christopher Nolan, and produced by Suzanne and Jennifer Todd. The film's script was based on a pitch by Jonathan Nolan, who later wrote the story "Memento Mori" from the concept. It stars Guy Pearce, Carrie-Anne Moss, and Joe Pantoliano.

For the Following, which was Christopher Nolan's first feature film that had a great storytelling and great characters, Momento is the moment of a shining experience for viewing audience.

Momento was and is still today one of the greatest films of the 21st century. Why?, because it broke all of the rules of film making, two, the story is very original that no other director will ever dream of, three this is one of the first movies for the audience to think through out of film to use their brain. Make it this one of the first smartest movies ever put to film.

Momento starts out at the end, the end of the film is the start of the story. For Christopher Nolan using the style it's not cheesy or in anyway use in any power of cinemas history. I have no affair of liking any flashback movies, well except this one because with you very strongly and very wise telling. That's how much I love this film.

I don't want to spoil any moment of this film whatsoever, it is so sad to me that any of my friends or any film fanatics don't even know this very where and very well experience of film that Christopher Nolan brought to the big screens in the year 2000. I just wish everybody can view this in their own experience watch it several hundred times. I like to watch it like almost every other month because it is so eye-popping I need to find something new every time you view it.

I highly tell you to go see this film because it is a thinkable masterpiece!!

Grade: A Perfect 10
July 8, 2017
Memento is admittedly compelling, with a script that is structured with undeniable skill, but by the conclusion I felt somewhat uneasy, because if you actually listened at the beginning of the film and analyzed the characters it was pretty easy to connect the dots. Yet I feel the movie survives on a entertainment level and construction level, because both are equally satisfying.
July 3, 2017
Hand's down Noalan's Best, too bad he doesn't make movies like this anymore.
July 2, 2017
Memento, the classic Nolan film from 2000, was definitely a fun one to watch. It's greatest strength is the creative editing and sequencing of the film; the majority of the story is told in reverse order in short scenes, putting us in the confused mindset of Leonard. Each scene, we are unaware of what happened before, just like Leonard. It's a brilliant idea and makes this one thrilling to watch. The editing does compensate for a somewhat lackluster feeling plot once you unravel it all. Several questions are left unanswered that would help fill a lot of the plot gaps. Despite the plot issues, Memento is definitely worth a watch.