Menace II Society - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Menace II Society Reviews

October 17, 2017
Brutal, unflinching, incredibly difficult to watch but straight up impeccably crafted in every respect.
September 26, 2017
Still talked about 25 years later, Menace II Society offers a look at fictional characters set in moral dilemmas of gangs, drugs, and murder that sets Caine on his path to escaping inner-city 1990s Los Angeles. Be set for an emotional and shocking conclusion that unfortunately parallels our society today.
July 22, 2017
An even darker look into the hood than Boyz N The Hood. It follows gangbangers Kaine and O-Dogg as they navigate the rough neighborhood they grew up in. As O-Dogg, Larenz Tate graduates from being Steve Urkel's bully to being as the movie describes the most dangerous person in America "young, black and just don't give a fuck." He is scary bad. Yet so charming and funny. Menace contains some of the darkest most uncomfortable laughs I've ever had in a movie. Jada Pinkett Smith also stands out as a young mother whose baby daddy is in jail for life. He also happens to be her love interest Kaine's mentor. Boyz was the story of someone who made it out. Menace is the story of the one that didn't.
April 17, 2017
This film is impressive to say the least. Through the use of violence, crime, and several other aspects in this movie, the Hughes brothers were able to create a powerful message. This movie clearly portrays a message that each choice an individual makes can have an impact on his life, specifically about whether he is going to live or die.
April 9, 2017
Hard core gangster movie. One of the best of the 90's black gangster movies. Tells the story about a black kid who is obviously a dangerous thug, but is trying to change his ways. It can be a bit preachy at times, but its still one of my favorite movies. The first scene in the movie scared the hell out of me.
½ March 8, 2017
Menace II Society is a movie about the dangerous cycle of violence among black men in the ghettos of Los Angeles. It's one of those movies that might cover the subject well, but I felt like I had seen it a dozen times before. It's definitely hard to watch, but not in a thought-provoking or deep way. It almost feels like the movie is telling us "Look how broken their world is, and there is nothing you can do about it." The portrayals feel authentic, and the story seems like something that could actually happen. I didn't enjoy the voice-over because it was needless almost every time it came in. In fact, there were a few moments where the voice-over literally told us what Caine was feeling, and I would think that's the job of the actor to make us see that. The best part of the film was the way they showed some flashbacks of Caine's life growing up, and then had scenes later that echoed back to that past. It worked to connect the dots between the environment he was raised in and who he grew up to become. I think movies like this are necessary, but that doesn't make them enjoyable. I struggled with watching Menace II Society and left it feeling depressed and distraught. Some would applaud the film for impacting the viewer in that way, but I usually seek something more enjoyable in film.
February 16, 2017
I never understood the hype with this.

Although a lot nastier a poor Boyz N the Hood from The Hughes Brothers.
February 12, 2017
Gut wrenching urban drama about the choices in adversity.
February 2, 2017
Blah. I finally decided to watch this movie because...well why not. I didn't enjoy it, nobody to root for and everyone was just damn ignorant, disrespectful and dumb. I can't relate to that life so there's nothing in it for me to give props to. Just damn sad....
½ January 14, 2017
Thought-provoking, inspired, and unflinchingly honest, "Menace II Society" resembles "Mean Streets" crossed with "Boyz n the Hood."
½ January 10, 2017
A powerful and gritty drama that while not as polished as Boys in da Hood is just as effective.
December 21, 2016
If Boyz N the Hood was about hope being obtainable by youths born and raised in the ghetto, then Menace to Society is the far more violent equivalent, about the grim reality of ghetto youths who don't have that hope. There's no sugarcoating here.
November 29, 2016
What the Hughes brothers manage to do with their film is paint a deadly accurate and empathetic picture that does not follow cliches and stays true to its history and environment.
Its message and amount of detail is more than enough to warrant repeated viewings. It is, to put it bluntly, an important film.
It stands right on par with the equally masterful "Boyz N The Hood" as a film addressing this subject matter, but as a whole, it goes for a much darker direction.
October 24, 2016
Better than Boyz n the hood
July 5, 2016
My favorite movie ever!!
June 13, 2016
My all time favorite movie no movie is better to me
June 10, 2016
Classic Movie, with intense drama
June 1, 2016
Menace II society... that should be Menace's (The guy who made Panda)
real name! Greatest quote of movie: Nobody want your CLUCKHEAD
burger.
½ April 28, 2016
An eye opening portrayal of life in the hood.
April 7, 2016
I think its amazing that this movie hold up really good. I love the story communicated from Caine's perspective with his inner thoughts. And big up to the two young brothers Hughes - Impressive!!!