Mesmer Reviews

• Aj V Super Reviewer
    Aug 30, 2013

The only reason to watch this is to listen to the sound of Rickman's voice, and watch him be sensual. The rest of it is boring and stupid. Also if you're going to watch it, turn the volume up a lot, because otherwise you wont hear a thing. Everyone is so annoying in this movie you just want to get a time machine and smack whoever was a real person. (Not sure if these were all real people in Mesmer's life or if they were created for the film.) Overall, this isn't a good movie although it is made well and based on a true story.

• Apr 05, 2012

Talk about strange! It's listed unrated. I had to smile.

Talk about strange! It's listed unrated. I had to smile.

• Apr 05, 2012

Alan Rickman's outstanding performance makes this movie a fascinating if not mesmerizing biopic.

• Jun 19, 2011

I'm totally fascinated by Medical History & Alan Rickman, so I enjoyed this

I'm totally fascinated by Medical History & Alan Rickman, so I enjoyed this

• Jun 08, 2011

An excellent one for Alan Rickman fans.

An excellent one for Alan Rickman fans.

• Dec 29, 2010

Mesmer (the real one) was an incredibly odd guy. He was indeed forced out of Vienna and did indeed move to Paris. Paris was separated into a group who "fell for his trickery" and the others who believed he was nothing more than a charlatan. He would run his hands from the shoulders to below the diaphragms of his patients several times (occasionally for hours). Then he would play the glass harmonica (the bunches of bowls he had laid out) to calm the patient and conclude their treatment. I'm not sure how much of the following is true of the real Mesmer, but the scandal from this movie is that his healing techniques primarily work on young women. This can be difficult to see unless you're watching out for it at the beginning, but later on there is a scene that solidifies this as one of the main reasons people object to him so much. The movie itself seemed quite boring unless you A) really like learning about Mesmer, B) like Alan Rickman (as so many people do; the comments on the YouTube version of the movie I watched, however, were dripping with what could be labeled as nothing but Obsession Syndrome), or C) are interested in films where you must determine for yourself what is actually happening. I was in the B and C categories, but only slightly in A, and thus I enjoyed it, though not to the extent I wanted to. It just seemed awfully dry, and I don't like the whole wig thing. I did quite like the final scene with Rickman's closing, deep words. Watch this for Alan Rickman scenes, of which there are plenty. Don't watch this if you cannot or do not wish to appreciate the subtle intricacies with which he plays Mesmer. If you can't, it will likely seem rather deadpan. 6.8/10.

• Aug 03, 2010

Rickman is awesome in this role, but the plot isn't very engaging and it fails to meet expectations.

• Jul 11, 2010

Strange movie, poor sound quality, don't think I'd bother watching it again.

Strange movie, poor sound quality, don't think I'd bother watching it again.

• May 10, 2010

Alan Rickman, comme d'habitude, m'a époustouflée par son excellent jeu d'acteur. Que dire à part, he's totally mesmerizing ^^

• Jan 26, 2010

A really good so far but really really confusing. has to look up information on his character :D