Mid90s - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mid90s Reviews

March 17, 2019
This is a blatant copy of kids the story is trite, and the direction in my opinion is hokey.
½ March 15, 2019
While I am not usually a big fan of stream-of-conscience movies, this one was very well made and enjoyable.
March 14, 2019
Not what I expected.. I loved this movie and fell in love with the characters!
½ March 10, 2019
The movie seemed to have ended prematurely. There was no conclusion, and a complete lack of plot.
½ March 6, 2019
Impressive debut behind camera from Jonah Hill, a man I never been a huge fan of to be honest.

Some young kid is hanging out with a bit older kids. They skate and slack around. They really are some nice dudes, but like most boys they are also up to some trouble.

The youngest is going trough a change in his life. Turning cool, trying hard to fit in. I won't say it doesn't suit him - he is a cool kid, but he get's a bit too cool for his own good at times. Rather typical in this lifestyle. It really took me back, the skating and the music - this was me, yo.

The 16:9 works out just fine and the music is superb for my taste. Not the deepest of stories but if you are in the target group - in your late twenties too thirty something, mainly a man - this is the stuff for you. It helps if you have a heart for rap or skateboarding.

Cool to see Del here, I spotted him trough his voice - I guess it's a cameo type of casting work as he also does a fair bit of the soundtrack. A nostalgia bomb, with the music, the skatebrands and the long days outside.

7 out of 10 decks.
½ March 6, 2019
A decent directorial debut by Jonah Hill...
½ March 5, 2019
Poor man's version of Kids. Has some interesting scenes but does not live up the 90s' I lived in.
½ March 5, 2019
an unpleasant waste of time. there are many very slow scenes and the "music" is (rap. weak story, inept direction and script from hill don't bode well for future projects.
½ March 3, 2019
Gritty, but of a bummer, not as *sunny* as Id hoped for, but I still liked it. So true to what I remember (why do teenage boys always have to be dicks to each other?) I wish there had been a bit more of a resolution. Sunburn was so sweet and Ray was too.
March 3, 2019
Such an amazing movie, a tribute to kids from Larry Clark but way less dark. Actors are fabulous, filming is perfect.
½ March 2, 2019
The movie which is made when Jonah Hill matures beyond the trope of crude humour. Simple yet effective coming-of-age story with a cinematographic style sure to inspire any teenaged film maker to run out and buy a 16mm camera.
March 1, 2019
The soundtrack is amazing, the acting is superb and this movie captures the mid90's beautifully!
½ February 27, 2019
A nice skateboarder flick with some thoughtful things to say about family dynamics.
February 24, 2019
Having grown up as a skateboarder in the 90s, this felt more like a documentary than a work of fiction. I too bought my first real board from a friend, learned way too much from Big Brother, got chased by the cops, skated long into the night, and started smoking way too young. The dialogue was about as authentic as one could hope for, and the personalities felt very familiar. The settings were like being transported back in time, so much so that I remember having the specific pictures hanging on the walls of the skate shop.

All that being said, the story is raw and emotional, without ever feeling complete. It´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)s certainly gritty, but the payoff never really happens. Despite these shortcomings, Jonah Hill has definitely captured the essence of mid 90´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)s skate culture.
½ February 23, 2019
This film is so special. As a comedian, Jonah Hill managed to handle his directorial debut. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross as the music, Martin Scorsese and Ethan Coen were a little helpful, Christopher Blauvelt with his 16mm as the cinematography, and great editing from Nick Houy. The soundtrack slipped a bit because the majority of the music was mostly from existing songs. But, what do you feel about growing up in your neighborhood? Is it bad or the same as Stevie?
February 23, 2019
Why did Johah Hill waste 4 years of his life making this???
February 22, 2019
Reminded me of my youth, for better or worse. Great performances by all, but a very niche movie that only a certain demographic will 'get'.
February 21, 2019
Interesting flick, tough to follow.
February 21, 2019
A look into simpler times before smart phones, albeit heavy family topics
February 20, 2019
Maybe I wasn't the audience this was targeted towards but I found this film to be unsettling and not in the way that would be enjoyable to me