Mid90s - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mid90s Reviews

January 18, 2019
I had recently seen the film "Skate Kitchen" centering on a female band of skateboarders, and now Jonah Hill's directorial debut focuses on a group of male skateboarders. I thought the characters here came across as authentic and real, as 13-year-old Stevie (Sunny Suljic), being bullied and abused by his older brother (Lucas Hedges) at home, desperately seeks to be accepted by the other boarders. I thought Na-kel Smith's performance stood out, as Ray the leader of the group.
½ January 17, 2019
Jonah Hill's directorial debut with this 90s set coming of age film.. Has some good performances from the kid actors and seems to fit it's time and place... I thought they overdid the foul language a bit.. yea kids in the 90s might talk like that but it seemed excessive to me.. and the storyline seemed to meander a bit. Not what i would have expected from Hill but it does show some promise.
January 16, 2019
ItÔ(TM)s a little aimless and has only one sympathetic character, but there are a few scenes that make me excited for Jonah HillÔ(TM)s future as a director. I'd recommend to check it out with boxxy software app.
½ January 16, 2019
Rewind. So this is about a thirteen-year-old boy named Stevie (Sunny Suljic). He doesn't have a ton going on in his personal life, so one summer he assimilates himself into a group of skater kids. Now I don't think that I even saw a trailer for this, but the reason why this got my attention was the same reason it got everybody else's: this is Jonah Hill's directorial debut. He has said that this is not autobiographical, but it is still the type of story that feels extremely personal. I think he does have some growing to do in the director's chair, but as a first time effort, I think he shows a lot of promise and he has put together a very human and earnest film. Now this is very much a slice of life movie, which isn't a movie type that I typically go for. It just gives you a look into how life operates for this boy, there are not any major conflicts, and when it wraps up, nothing is really resolved. I think why I did end up liking this movie was because I could relate to this because I grew up through this while in the same age bracket. I did not connect to the skating, mind you, as I never, ever, ever had the balance to pull that off, but I did experience this camaraderie shared by friends, listening to rap music and calling things "gay". It is not something I partake in anymore because I have grown with the times, but if they wanted to stay true to the time period, it would be out of place for them not to do that. At barely 80 minutes long after you subtract end credits, Mid90s does not overstay its welcome. I was concerned when this started in that it would be too in-your-face with 90-isms. That is here to be sure, but it does pull back once you get the past the opening 15 minutes or so. As a directorial debut, this is a mostly solid effort, and I appreciated the 4:3 aspect ratio and the guerrilla style of filmmaking. I would love to see more movies directed by Jonah Hill, and I am sure we will in the future. If you were interested in this, I think you should check it out when you have the opportunity.
January 16, 2019
An authentic, observational, and surprisingly endearing coming-of-age flick set during a time period when movies like it were quite the rage.
January 14, 2019
fantastic movie what a great directorial debute from jonah hill
January 13, 2019
uneven, inconsistent. no point of view. Very disappointing!
½ January 13, 2019
Pustiul e foarte misto si mai sunt ceva momente dragute cu alte personaje
January 13, 2019
Don't watch the trailer. But movie it's great... Now gonna watching it on boxxy software. free app on my iOS>
January 13, 2019
This film took me on a journey of nostalgia. It's beautifully filmed and is not too much, it just feels real. I loved it.
January 12, 2019
More like a really well made student film than anything else, Mid90s is a strong showing for Jonah Hill, but it doesn't seem to really have much to say. I like the naturalism in the performances and visuals, though I think shooting in 4:3 was a gimmick. A good, not great, hangout film; think lesser Linklater.
½ January 12, 2019
wanna be "Kids" movie
January 12, 2019
Slow. Superficial. I don't really get to the heart of any of their characters. Do not recommend
½ January 11, 2019
I had a writing teacher who'd always say "You've shown me the lake; now show me how deep it is." I admire the risks this film does take at times, but this script was nowhere near ready for the world.
January 10, 2019
Great story, beautifully told!
January 10, 2019
Though I like Jonah Hill...I hate every good review of this movie. To all who gave this a good score ... you made me watch a terrible movie. 1 star just because Jonah Hill is cool.
½ January 9, 2019
Doesn't deserve a half star but getting it because it's highly overrated!!
January 9, 2019
It was nice to remember some cool things from the 90s. Gy├Ângyhaj├║ l├íny rulez.
January 9, 2019
As someone who was this age in the 90s, I saw almost no accurate representation of the time period. The urban slang in the movie was nearly all 2017 slang that nobody said in the 90s. I don´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)t know why that bothered me so much, but there seem to be almost no obvious 90s theme, aside from a vague background Nirvana song at one point.

As for the acting, energy, and ´┐ 1/2 1/2interestingness´┐ 1/2 1/2´┐ 1/2┬? of the movie itself, I´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)m afraid it was drab, slow, and boring. I appreciated the obvious attempt to nail down characters and acting similar to Napoleon Dynamite. Eccentric examples of people you may have remembered from your childhood. But it just missed the mark.
January 7, 2019
If you grew up in the 90´┐ 1/2(TM)s you´┐ 1/2(TM)ll love it.