Midnight in Paris - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Midnight in Paris Reviews

½ September 3, 2017
This Woody Allen fantasy comedy contains a very unusual plot which travels through time. Superb settings and costumes but I sometimes found the acting a little staged. Wilson plays a typical Woody Allen character. AAN GGN
½ August 24, 2017
This was a cute movie with a creative twist to it. It's not my favorite movie of all time, but well worth the watch.
½ August 12, 2017
A very good film in thats it is a unique and imaginative one. As much as I think woody allen is a creep, he seriously has got talent. He always manages to throw in something about a very young love interest tho (girl at end who was notedly younger) blech. However the film itself reminded me of an actual book in the way that its told with a strong plot and I really enjoyed the message. I think ppl like to romanticize things when they arent happy with the present about how great an old time was or if they just did this different with their life or if somehow theyd been born somewhere else....etc. In reality tho reality could probably be better esp if you are in a crappy relationship or bad job...but its never going to be perfect bc its life. I also liked with this movie how you never knew where it was going and I enjoyed the dark humor. One thing i didnt care for was so much name dropping of people from long ago-eventually it got old and took away from the film. Interesting to see the usual sweet typecast Rachel adams play one of the most abhorrent criticizing heroines in this one.
July 30, 2017
(B-) Insightful film that mostly lies with the theme of the Golden Age Syndrome, where the character thinks a certain time in the past was the best era compared to the his/her present life. As a writer, Gil (Owen Wilson) sees Paris in the 1920s as the best era for him. Somehow, he travels back in that time and encounters famous poets, artist and writers that he admires and ponders about his existence with them. The best part of the movie was how he keeps traveling back and forth into the past and present and create some conflicts that occur between his present life and his past life. Woody Allen likes to create romantic bonds between characters that don't seem to fit each other externally. But usually, he points out some romantic connection with characters internally. It is the same in this movie. But instead of looking at it from an age difference or culture difference, it is seen through time difference. I like how the pace in dialogue changes when Gil is in the present time versus how he is in the past. Even in color the president puts out more of a bland light touch compared to a soft yellow in the past. The third act got bland and most of the themes become cliché and it wasn't insightful as to the first and second act. Overall good film to watch if your a fan of the surrealist era.
July 28, 2017
As an English major in college this movie spoke volumes to me. Decades of our favorite writers come together in one magical existence to give Gil his happy ever after--for a short time anyway. Wrought with amazing visual language of the 1920's, this film portrays what every dreamer loves to fantasize about; what life would be like in a different era. Owen is our stupefied, dumbstruck, hero who we get to live vicariously through. The wonderment and astounding discoveries he makes give this film a classic classy feel. Where do dreamers go when they get lost in Paris at midnight? Turns out it's even better than anyone could have imagined, and dammit I wish I could go there myself. I find myself often going there with re-watches of the film and how truly magical it is.
July 23, 2017
I saw this movie bexcuse of high reviews. Unfortunate. Shallow, characters were hard to believe, and way too cheesy. Hard to take Owen Wilson seriously in this role...When the wind was blowing through her hair at the end I was done and just for the credits to start rolling with anticipation.
½ July 22, 2017
Enjoyable but if Woody Allen was in the leading role it would be marvellous. I see that Owen is playing the Woody Allen role, but those are big shoes to fill.
July 8, 2017
Incites nostalgia and sentimentality beyond words.
June 17, 2017
The best Woody Allen movie i saw. Midnight in Paris is a loving embrace of the city, of art and of life itself
June 14, 2017
With beautiful passion and a strong devotion involving its entire context and artistic atmosphere, Woody Allen wrote and directed a strongly appealing love letter not just to the city from the title, but to the entire golden age of art and literature, not to mention the intensity of the cast, as well as the extremely faithful portrayals of the famous figures it represents.
May 16, 2017
Midnight In Paris is proof that, whether you admire his work or not, Woody Allen has an innate understanding of the powers of filmmaking and the magic it can deliver. A literal nostalgia trip, set in a city famed for its past glories, Owen Wilson finds himself slipping into the world of yesteryear, discovering what it's like to live your dreams, and how their reality can often be just as disillusioning as living in a mundane present. Allen not-so-subtly employs Wilson as a vicarious vessel, allowing him to act out all the typical Allen traits: Social awkwardness, constant worrying, inexplicably gorgeous love interest, rambling dialogue. The writing displays his usual strengths and weaknesses. It's sharp, funny and well observed, but is frequently excessive and directionless. The time-travel conceit is used brilliantly, and it's great to see icons from the past interacting with our modern-day hero. Hemingway is especially good, acting exactly how you'd imagine him: Macho, highly competitive but self-loathing and likely very insecure. I've never been a big Owen Wilson fan but he's easily likable here, at least when's he not blabbing on and on about his own shortcomings, especially when he whispers them when nobody is in a position to overhear him. The support cast are fun too, especially Marion Cottilard, who is so vibrant and graceful, illuminating the screen whenever she's on camera. It has its flaws, but it takes an interesting premise and instils it with warmth, humour and heart. As a wannabe writer myself, I understand the need to have others read your work but the reluctance to do so for fear of criticism and outright rejection. Midnight In Paris is a trip down memory lane that you'll be glad you've taken.
May 8, 2017
It is a fun Woody Allen film, not the greatest film ever, but it is fun and beautiful with a simple message. You don't need to think too hard while watching it, but at the end it can incite a discussion. It wraps up quickly and you might feel that the third act suddenly just ends but if you are enjoying the ride you wont mind.
April 29, 2017
Excessively charming, lovely characters, and a fun premise elevate this above its sorta shallow substance.
Grade: B+
April 22, 2017
Funny, sweet and sentimental, Midnight in Paris is a very charming movie.
April 16, 2017
What a movie.... I want to head to Paris right now! This movie captures the charm of the city...
April 8, 2017
Midnight in Paris is style over substance. Woody Allen gets good performances and great looking sets, but a weird story does little to add anything of meaning.
½ April 7, 2017
When we live what we see when it resonates and unearths our ambitions. When we love other things we see when it's our companion. When others like seeing other things to not be completely sold on the idea. When we like seeing other people when they like what we like and enjoy seeing us as much as others then we naturally see that some like seeing us and others are not completely sold on seeing us further. When we must see to it that we reassure those we are seeing. When what we see we must be sure when somethings are an illusion when we prefer things other then our current realities. When what see we know a lot about when we are knowledgeable or make the impression that we are. When what we see we like more and more of. When what we see we don't know if they appreciate the finer details. When we had enough seeing we wish we knew where we are headed with some ideas, when we get lost in our fantasies. When we see that we are wanted and highly praised by some people when others don't see us.

When we can't believe whom we are seeing when it's impossible. When you need to see what some people are fantasizing in order to see why they love somethings. When you actually feel, see and embrace your fantasies as if you are there you appreciate more staying in your fantasies when the realities of this continuing sounds great. When see places that we enjoy and love we all wish they could take us to the root of our love for it. When we see all people we admire, that inspire us we get the honest opinions if what great works think about our work that make us more confident and open about our work. When we see that great advise comes from a library of all people whom amounted to so much that we can't compare, that naturally we know what we are lacking. When it's everything we would expect and see in our idols. When we don't see what others see when our tastes are different and prefer a more fancier & fun lifestyle. When what we see trensends through space and time that makes us think when and see in an instant or for along while. When what others see they like, when they see eye to eye with us. When somethings we see we don't comment when it's uncomfortable. When we see that some people are more dedicated in their work to notice us. When we dont see what others are up to care. When we see that we both have different views that we rather see different things. When we see that our views and what we see font matter when there is no point talking. When somethings we see don't change when Stars and the greats only go for other stars and greats to ever notice the small people. When we see that we have high expectations when we think that the greats would have the time of day for us. When what we see we are interested in when other aspects disinterest us. When what we see we can't live without when our views are so deep it hurts.

When we need others to see for us when we don't know where we venture. When we don't see somethings that are staring right in front of our eyes when we rather see other people in high places. When we see that we are rewriting history when our name is in the books for an entirely different reason. When we are all note worthy to see why the greats want to see us. When we can't wait to see those whom we see our equal when we eye to eye with some people. When we can't see we assume when we come to logical conclusion. When some things we see we don't see eye to eye with when they don't see our perspective when it's overlooked, underlooked, misinterpreted, does resonate and just didn't meet up to our expectations in what we thought we would see. When some people we see, we are a perfect fit, when some people resonate to those whom resonated to them and passed down to us that shape what we see in how they see that we are able to see the world and feel the world the way we like it with someone. When we see the imperfections of what we see that we never take that final hurdle we are eye to eye with our doubts and in calculated moves when our emotions seems to point out the ridiculousness in our reasoning and logic that halts us. When we see our place is here when we don't see eye to eye on everything when we are unhappy. When we see some places we dulge our fantasies want us to stay when it keeps us alive and vibrant, immortal throughout the ages, when we only want to see is someone appreciate and value us as much as we see it. When we see someone like us for who we are that they like what they see.

When we don't see or know how the human brain can manifest such genius in people's works that we continue to see on far. When we see how every artist created such great works their own way when their views didn't only consist seeing with their eyes but embracing the world with all senses of their body. When we just needed to see parts of us in greats to know we have in us to see ourself great amongst them.

***************************************************************************
canvas and reality inside a frame in a world of self expression. what age of art period do we live in? is it really a golden age or the best we have of a present. how does the artist want it's art remembered or even themselves. sometimes works of art is unpredictable has no sure outcome like it's artist and it's time.
½ April 5, 2017
Something about time travel just makes me happy.
½ April 3, 2017
it was ok if you like Owen Wilson. I can only take him in small doses.