Midnight in Paris - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Midnight in Paris Reviews

½ July 25, 2016
A few days ago I had a mid-day sugar craving, as I often do. Sometimes its bad and I buy a bag of skittles, but I didn't want to do that this time, so I took a walk to the library; I knew that the 6th floor digital media center always had a jar of delicious gummy bears out. Free candy! I grabbed a handful and looked through the computer to see if there were any movies I wanted to rent (also to validate my coming up there and taking candy). I had nothing in mind, but the librarian was right there and very friendly as always. I had been feeling pretty down in the dumps, and so I asked for an uplifting, feel-good movie, and this is the one he brought out. It did not disappoint, Midnight In Paris was wonderful, thoughtful, funny; a feel-good movie for sure!
July 21, 2016
Le tengo que poner 5 estrellas por algún motivo inconsciente. Justamente esta película empezó a construir mi amor por París, la fotografía y el soundtrack son uno solo, estéticamente perfecta, el diseño de producción y la fotografía se roban gran parte de la película.
Con respecto a los personajes creo que Owen Wilson da una actuación muy graciosa y honesta, le sienta natural esa actitud de escritor para nada conforme con su actual vida, aunque le cuesta admitirlo, desde las palabras del personaje, " negación". Rachel hace un papel raro en ella pero consigue que le tenga rechazo, al admirar al novio de su amiga que tiene una actitud obviamente soberbia, esto lógicamente es merito del director, que en la misma escena expresa, como Inez se fija en Paul, la ignorancia de su mujer, y el desprecio de Gil, todo esto con una comedia agradable y para nada exagerada.
Una comedia excelente que se va creciendo gracias a su originalidad y excelente dirección, actuaciones divertidas, pero por sobre todo, las sensaciones que me transmite ver a París a través de los ojos de Woody Allen.
Por cierto los últimos 10 minutos de esta película son oro.
Gracias Paris.
22/07/16 - 01:28 a.m
July 17, 2016
Proof that if you throw enough at the wall (Woody Allen has released a movie nearly every year since 1965), something is bound to stick. Probably the best thing he ever has, and ever will make.
½ July 16, 2016
I would consider this quirky Woody Allen film as a fantasy film of sort, as well as a tribute and appreciation to the authors and artists of the old 1920s. Actually I fact that I don't know much about those authors and artists makes it a little difficult for me to catch every reference of the humour here. Perhaps if I was a little more well-verse in the classic works, I might have been able to laugh a little more. Still I find Owen Wilson's usual awestruck bumbling performance to be a well fit of his character here. And a brief moment of Adrien Brody has the funniest impression on me.
½ July 9, 2016
Such a wonderful movie. Being to Paris myself made it that much more enjoyable! Amazing cast matches a great storyline.
July 6, 2016
I throughly enjoy this movie every time I see it
July 2, 2016
Every great director reaches a point in their career when they begin to lose what it was that made them great to begin with. Allen might be getting there, but it isn't with this film of his. What makes this film great is the subject it deals with: literature, art, romance, relationships, and life. What also makes this film great is the cast. Wilson is Allen in this film. The wit, charm, and neurosis of Allen in Annie Hall is re-embodied in Wilson during this film. While the film could have easily been transformed into a drama, which is probably what most directors would do with this film, it isn't. Allen turns it into a thoughtful and sentimental comedy, which is why this film is great.
½ June 21, 2016
Loved the dual worlds but a bit too antiquated for a best movie nomination.
June 18, 2016
Have you ever fallen in love with a film? this is it. I fell min love with it just like Gil fell in love with the 1920s (or did I fall in love with the 1920s too...? maybe.)
½ June 5, 2016
It's a creative, entertaining and witty film, with the style of filmmaking that makes us love Woody Allen's best films. However, instead of making us love Paris with cinematography, he tries to do it throught the dialogue in a kind of forced way, this being to me it's main weak point. Enjoyable film easy to love.
May 26, 2016
Didn't enjoy it as I don't know much about the history side.
April 28, 2016
I love movies for a handful of different reasons. A film like ''Midnight in Paris'' could be one.

I might have given this a high score, but ''Midnight in Paris'' truly is Allen's best film in ages. I love everything about the movie, there would not be a single thing that i would change. The dialogue is excellent, as always with Allen films (He rightfully won his 4th Oscar for Best Original Screenplay), story is brilliant both in ideas and execution, the acting is top notch, Owen Wilson is excellent and perfect for the role, Rachel McAdams also shines, Martin Sheen's tiny role is absolutely hilarious. Then stars like Kathy Bates, Marion Cottilard, Adrien Brody, Tom Hiddleston, steal the show when they showup as classic legend painters, writers, etc. And like most Allen films, ''Midnight in Paris'' is yet again clearly inspired by Allen himself and his beliefs, dreams and hopes.

''Midnight in Paris'' is a movie i could rewatch a hundred times and still feel delighted with a big smile on my face after seeing it.
½ April 28, 2016
Just a taste of Allen's fantasy. The movie has the power to involve the viewer and make him dream . It ends up with a wise moral, just watch it and draw conclusions.
April 27, 2016
If you've been to Paris you'll love this. If you haven't been you'll love it after watching this. Brilliant characters; a fantastic soundtrack; great scenery. Having always loved Wilson as a comedic actor and recently watched some other Allen works, it is belatedly clear to me how Wilson is an embodiment of Allen. A wonderfully nostalgic look at the Paris of the 'Lost Generation' and the classical European artists of the the early-to-mid 20th century. One of my favourite films, due to its subject matter and originality. As a Francophile and big lover of Paris I am somewhat gripped by the scenery. It is easy to see why Allen won the Academy Award for best Original Screenplay. Just a fantastically fresh, light-hearted film.
April 19, 2016
Bittersweet canned movie for people who like Paris.
½ April 13, 2016
The more I watch this one the more I fall in love with it everytime. It beautifully connects two different worlds, which in the end lead the character to making an important life decision. Woody Allen is a genius in the way he included the big artists of the Golden Age in this film and the naive and child-like behavior of Owen in this past era simply captures the heart.
½ April 4, 2016
The use of the soundtrack struck me as masterfully done. It really captures nostalgia and matches Paris for it is most beautiful under the rain.
½ March 27, 2016
Woody Allen at his finest, Midnight in Paris is both funny and sweet, while also dishing out some delightful performances from the entire ensemble cast thanks to an ingenius premise and realistic characters.