Midnight in Paris - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

8.7

[Woody Allen]
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Woody Allen nos ofrece una magnífica obra de arte, que aprovecha perfectamente para criticar la insatisfacción creativa actual de la sociedad.
October 18, 2017
A good message and some charming shots of Paris, but Owen Wilson is such an awfully awkward character that it is hard to appreciate. The plot also falls a bit flat and is both predictable and uninspiring. Thankfully the depictions of some of the period characters were done quite well.
October 17, 2017
Esse filme é simplesmente sensacional consegue por alívio cômico na medida certa além de ter personagens bastante carismáticos
½ September 21, 2017
A daydream for creatives.
½ September 3, 2017
This Woody Allen fantasy comedy contains a very unusual plot which travels through time. Superb settings and costumes but I sometimes found the acting a little staged. Wilson plays a typical Woody Allen character. AAN GGN
½ August 24, 2017
This was a cute movie with a creative twist to it. It's not my favorite movie of all time, but well worth the watch.
½ August 12, 2017
A very good film in thats it is a unique and imaginative one. As much as I think woody allen is a creep, he seriously has got talent. He always manages to throw in something about a very young love interest tho (girl at end who was notedly younger) blech. However the film itself reminded me of an actual book in the way that its told with a strong plot and I really enjoyed the message. I think ppl like to romanticize things when they arent happy with the present about how great an old time was or if they just did this different with their life or if somehow theyd been born somewhere else....etc. In reality tho reality could probably be better esp if you are in a crappy relationship or bad job...but its never going to be perfect bc its life. I also liked with this movie how you never knew where it was going and I enjoyed the dark humor. One thing i didnt care for was so much name dropping of people from long ago-eventually it got old and took away from the film. Interesting to see the usual sweet typecast Rachel adams play one of the most abhorrent criticizing heroines in this one.
July 30, 2017
(B-) Insightful film that mostly lies with the theme of the Golden Age Syndrome, where the character thinks a certain time in the past was the best era compared to the his/her present life. As a writer, Gil (Owen Wilson) sees Paris in the 1920s as the best era for him. Somehow, he travels back in that time and encounters famous poets, artist and writers that he admires and ponders about his existence with them. The best part of the movie was how he keeps traveling back and forth into the past and present and create some conflicts that occur between his present life and his past life. Woody Allen likes to create romantic bonds between characters that don't seem to fit each other externally. But usually, he points out some romantic connection with characters internally. It is the same in this movie. But instead of looking at it from an age difference or culture difference, it is seen through time difference. I like how the pace in dialogue changes when Gil is in the present time versus how he is in the past. Even in color the president puts out more of a bland light touch compared to a soft yellow in the past. The third act got bland and most of the themes become cliché and it wasn't insightful as to the first and second act. Overall good film to watch if your a fan of the surrealist era.
July 28, 2017
As an English major in college this movie spoke volumes to me. Decades of our favorite writers come together in one magical existence to give Gil his happy ever after--for a short time anyway. Wrought with amazing visual language of the 1920's, this film portrays what every dreamer loves to fantasize about; what life would be like in a different era. Owen is our stupefied, dumbstruck, hero who we get to live vicariously through. The wonderment and astounding discoveries he makes give this film a classic classy feel. Where do dreamers go when they get lost in Paris at midnight? Turns out it's even better than anyone could have imagined, and dammit I wish I could go there myself. I find myself often going there with re-watches of the film and how truly magical it is.
July 23, 2017
I saw this movie bexcuse of high reviews. Unfortunate. Shallow, characters were hard to believe, and way too cheesy. Hard to take Owen Wilson seriously in this role...When the wind was blowing through her hair at the end I was done and just for the credits to start rolling with anticipation.
½ July 22, 2017
Enjoyable but if Woody Allen was in the leading role it would be marvellous. I see that Owen is playing the Woody Allen role, but those are big shoes to fill.
July 8, 2017
Incites nostalgia and sentimentality beyond words.
June 17, 2017
The best Woody Allen movie i saw. Midnight in Paris is a loving embrace of the city, of art and of life itself
June 14, 2017
With beautiful passion and a strong devotion involving its entire context and artistic atmosphere, Woody Allen wrote and directed a strongly appealing love letter not just to the city from the title, but to the entire golden age of art and literature, not to mention the intensity of the cast, as well as the extremely faithful portrayals of the famous figures it represents.
May 16, 2017
Midnight In Paris is proof that, whether you admire his work or not, Woody Allen has an innate understanding of the powers of filmmaking and the magic it can deliver. A literal nostalgia trip, set in a city famed for its past glories, Owen Wilson finds himself slipping into the world of yesteryear, discovering what it's like to live your dreams, and how their reality can often be just as disillusioning as living in a mundane present. Allen not-so-subtly employs Wilson as a vicarious vessel, allowing him to act out all the typical Allen traits: Social awkwardness, constant worrying, inexplicably gorgeous love interest, rambling dialogue. The writing displays his usual strengths and weaknesses. It's sharp, funny and well observed, but is frequently excessive and directionless. The time-travel conceit is used brilliantly, and it's great to see icons from the past interacting with our modern-day hero. Hemingway is especially good, acting exactly how you'd imagine him: Macho, highly competitive but self-loathing and likely very insecure. I've never been a big Owen Wilson fan but he's easily likable here, at least when's he not blabbing on and on about his own shortcomings, especially when he whispers them when nobody is in a position to overhear him. The support cast are fun too, especially Marion Cottilard, who is so vibrant and graceful, illuminating the screen whenever she's on camera. It has its flaws, but it takes an interesting premise and instils it with warmth, humour and heart. As a wannabe writer myself, I understand the need to have others read your work but the reluctance to do so for fear of criticism and outright rejection. Midnight In Paris is a trip down memory lane that you'll be glad you've taken.
May 8, 2017
It is a fun Woody Allen film, not the greatest film ever, but it is fun and beautiful with a simple message. You don't need to think too hard while watching it, but at the end it can incite a discussion. It wraps up quickly and you might feel that the third act suddenly just ends but if you are enjoying the ride you wont mind.
April 29, 2017
Excessively charming, lovely characters, and a fun premise elevate this above its sorta shallow substance.
Grade: B+
April 22, 2017
Funny, sweet and sentimental, Midnight in Paris is a very charming movie.