Misery - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Misery Reviews

½ September 28, 2016
Misery is directed by Rob Reiner, and it stars James Caan and Kathy Bates in a Stephen King adaptation about an author who accidentally got himself in a car crash, but got rescued by his number 1 fan Anne Wilkes (Kathy Bates) and wanted to see his next book that he's writing. When she didn't like what happened, she goes on psycho on Paul Sheldon (James Caan) and keeps him inside her house. In his young years, Rob Reiner used to be a big deal in terms of the films that he has made, but then he starts to slips away in his films that people wonder ask, what happened to Rob Reiner? When I watch his past films to see how it came to be, even though I didn't like This Is Spinal Tap, I come to a realization that he just surrounded himself with talented writers that know how to write a film, whether it be from Aaron Sorkin for A Few Good Men and The American President, Nora Ephron for When Harry Met Sally..., and William Goldman for The Princess Bride, and this movie. James Caan did a great job acting like a calm person trying to go through with the situation that he's in, while dealing with the pain of his legs. Kathy Bates did a fantastic job of her performance as a big fan of the author that is nice in one hand, but the other way she goes complete crazy, and also get depressed too in one scene, which I'm glad she got the Academy Award for it. The writing by William Goldman is really good that understands how scary people can be when they are a bit too obsessed with who they enjoy reading their books. It gets pretty tense at times as you really want the author to get out of her house despite his legs being in pain, and it can be hard to watch at times, but in a good way that makes you more invested in this. There were some moments that I was disinterested, but I still had a great time watching this film that it's one of the creepiest Stephen King adaptations that I've seen.
September 24, 2016
Tense, adrenaline pumping moments, with nothing but pity for one and fear of the other. The sugary sweet turns very sour. Misery indeed loves company.
September 13, 2016
Kathy Bates plays a crazed fan of an author played by James Caan, who has a terrible car accident. After the crazed fan stalking him, she ends up saving him and appears to be nurturing him back to health until she can't bear to have him leave. Or was that her plan all along? The crazed fan reads the unpublished final book of the popular series he writes, in which the main character dies. She then forces him to write another version of the book and forces him to burn his own version. Kathy Bates' performance is to die for in this film as she plays the quirky crazed fan to a T. It's amusing yet terrifying at some points, and it's a film that I often enjoy watching because of all the crazy things she says in the film and the portrayal of the character leaves the viewer quoting lines from the movie when ever coming across those crazy bitches who remind us all of this performance. Spectacular!
September 9, 2016
Forget the fact that it's not as dark or gruesome as the book. This film is a testament to the genre. Kathy in particular captures the insanity of a super fan. Probably her finest performance. James also puts in a most terrific performance too as the helpless victim.
September 7, 2016
Que actuaccion tan sufrida de Caan y Bates estupenda. Una historia de panico, contada de una buena forma
September 5, 2016
Caan's relentless snark matches perfectly with Bates' lunacy and their performances are what elevate this to a great film.
September 4, 2016
/A/ I finally watched this for the first time last night. I absolutely loved the movie. Kathy Bates was awesome.
September 4, 2016
Not seen it for years but still immensely enjoyable and probably the best movie adaptation of a Stephen King novel.
August 29, 2016
'Misery' is very suspenseful, and the acting just makes the movie even better.
August 17, 2016
A romance novelist wrecks into a snow bank and is rescued by his number one fan in this riveting and chilling thriller. Kathy Bates is terrifying as the woman obsessed with the writer and the characters he writes about.
July 12, 2016
James Caan and Kathy Bates bring this brilliant horror film with life and realism.
½ July 6, 2016
Misery is na well-directed movie that counts with outstanding performances by Kathy Bates and James Caan. The narrative was well-written, the plot is thrilling and contains some clever jumpscares and the story keeps the interest by the entire movie.
½ July 5, 2016
This movie is a slow burn with some very intense and gruesome scenes. Kathy Bates is absolutely fantastic in her role; James Caan is also very good. The movie is surprisingly funny at times, which shouldn't be a surprise since Rob Reiner is behind the camera.
June 24, 2016
Kathy Bates is the perfect psychopathic nurse.
June 15, 2016
Stephen King adaptation about a romance writer who gets into an auto accident and is rescued and nursed to health by his psychotic number one fan. Kathy Bates gives a fantastic performance to an otherwise stale film.
½ June 11, 2016
Astonishing movie with an amazing actors
½ June 3, 2016
One of the better Stephen King horror adaptations. Kathy Bates as Annie Wilkes is one of the best (and arguably *the* best) on screen female villain in a horror movie, of all time. Perhaps not one you need to sit down and re-watch every few months or whathaveyou, but totally gripping, even after multiple (spaced out) viewings.
May 28, 2016
This was such a great horror movie that will put you to the edge of your seat.
May 18, 2016
James Caan plays a protagonist who is easy to root for and also has his flaws of selfishness. Kathy Bates plays one of the scariest renditions of that one in-law in recent history. It lacks the depth of the original book, which is mostly unavoidable with the transfer from book to movie, but it also lacks the build of the book, meaning that the climax is unfortunately truncated and we don't get to establish a relatively normal relationship between our protagonist and antagonist before things get tense. But it is still TENSE. Even when factoring a lackluster score, stale visual scale, and datedness, the movie version of Misery remains a satisfying thriller that will get some to jolt out of their seats...even if their legs are broken.