Mission: Impossible 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mission: Impossible 2 Reviews

½ December 1, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: Mission: Impossible returns and it's just as gripping as before. This time the anti is upped thanks to the addition of some (albeit cheesy) character development and a higher-stakes story. It's big, brash and exciting stuff, and is exactly what we will come to expect from this franchise (perhaps bar the 3rd instalment).
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It's also just as confusing and ridiculous as the last movie, though it seems to take itself more seriously. That's a lot to ask when there's little to suggest it's any more sophisticated. In fact, it's probably less.
VERDICT: This kind of Mission: Impossible movie should just be a bit of fun. Sadly, this one asks us to take it a little too seriously.
November 29, 2016
Way better than the first movie. Loved the love triangle.
½ November 22, 2016
With John Woo directing Mission Impossible 2, I really expect the film to be a lot of fun, stylish, and interesting to watch. Seeing as one of the writers from the first one wrote the sequel too, I thought it was a good thing to see, but it turned out to be the weakest film of the whole franchise, even though I like it a bit. Tom Cruise is great in it, and Thandie Newton is pretty good. The plot, while clearer than the first movie, is not that interesting, and is like other spy movies that I pretty much know how it goes. It has a generic villain, and some new characters that I don't really care that much as they don't get a backstory, except for the thief who was decent. The action scenes are good, but wasn't as exciting as I thought was going to be which disappointed me a bit. The script was a bit lackluster and could've been better with a rewrite. The chemistry between Tom Cruise and Thandie Newton is decent, but nothing memorable about it. I feel like Mission Impossible 2 was trying to be one of those dumb movies that it'll be better if you turn your brain off, but I couldn't because that'll make it feel out of place. As is, Mission Impossible 2 is a decent film that has a bit of effort in it, even if it was towards style than substance.
November 4, 2016
The action event of 2000, John Woo got to direct the best Mission Impossible movie ever!
October 26, 2016
Ugh, all the stupid slow motion scenes and white birds flying through the air. Not to mention MI2 forgets it's supposed to be a spy film, and just goes the over-the-top action route. Disappointing.
October 10, 2016
Pas aussi bon que le precedent a cause de son scenar vu et revu. Cependant John Woo aux commandes donc les scenes d'action sont plutot classe.
September 18, 2016
More exciting than the first. All the masks were interesting. Enjoyed him recruiting the female thief!
September 17, 2016
I cannot understand how such a solid movie could get such a stupid idiotic sequel. Leave your brain at the door because there is no complex plot to speak of.
September 15, 2016
Highly entertaining and exsplosive spy movie. Over the top action.
August 26, 2016
Dull and without a cohesive plot, Mission: Impossible 2 fails not only as a sequel, but as an entertaining action movie, as all the pleasure and ridiculousness are simply non-existent in this follow-up. Other than an ever-reliable performance from Tom Cruise - and some sparse action sequences - this does not qualify as a recommendation.
Verdict: C-
½ August 16, 2016
The first underwhelmed me, but this one straight-up bored me. Again, of course seeing Hunt climb a mountain without a harness is impressive sure. And I even quite liked the idea behind the villain of the piece (though even that angle was woefully underdeveloped).

Even setting it in predominantly Australia was enough to grab my attention, and that's saying something cause I'm pretty biased when it comes to that. I hear tell that Mission: Impossible II is the low point in the series, and that at least is encouraging, because if anything afterwards is much worse than this one, I don't know if I'll be able to make it through to Rogue Nation.
August 14, 2016
Soundtrack gets 5 stars
½ August 3, 2016
As Action-Packed As the Original, But A Little Over-the-Top

Originally written May 29, 2000--
Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) sends Nyah Nordoff-Hall (Thandie Newton) undercover to stop an ex-IMF agent's mad scheme to steal a deadly virus and sell the antidote to the highest bidder. But when things go bad for her, Ethan must call on his good friend, Luther Stickell (Ving Rhames) to help him rescue her. The film was directed by John Woo.

As much as I enjoy action movies, I found the sequel to Mission: Impossible to be a little on the over-the-top side. John Woo is known for his visualistic style, but when you have two guys beat the living crap out of each other and neither one seems to sustain any wounds because of it, "overkill" is the word that instantly springs to mind. I didn't care for this film as much as the original, but it was action-packed.
July 21, 2016
Tom Cruise is no Chow Yin Fat but John is the Master of over the top action flick
( Let's get lost)
½ July 18, 2016
If I wanted to see flying motorcycles I'd go to the circus.
½ July 16, 2016
This is the 3rd time i have tried to like this flick but nope...i've never seen a film where a villain does jack-shit until the final overblown scene...rubbish..thank God the rest are good !!
July 12, 2016
I remembered this being a lot stronger than it is on a re-watch. The interested thing about this franchise, all of it's films are very "of their time" and haven't exactly aged incredibly well. Still, this is Cruise during his mid-career peak.
July 9, 2016
no me gusto tanto como la primera parte sin duda esta segunda parte es la peor pelicula de la franquicia de mision imposible,suerte que después la franquicia fue mejorando con la 3,la 4 y la 5,espero con ansias la 6.
½ June 23, 2016
I love love this series but this movie is awful and just tries to get as much action and romance in as possible but fails