Mission: Impossible 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mission: Impossible 2 Reviews

April 25, 2017
It has the same intense action as the original, but lacks original dialogue and a strong supporting cast.
½ April 19, 2017
The worst Mission Impossible thus far. The problem is, there wasn't the factor of suspense that the previous film had. Tom Cruise still tried his best to keep the character of Ethan Hunt interesting. His foe, played by Dougray Scott, however, just wasn't interesting and seemed like a teenager who isn't getting his way. A villain should be imposing either physically, mentally, or both. This one just felt like he was out matched by Hunt in every sense. Giving the film no real threat just made it boring. John Woo does his best to make the film a spectacle, but just falls short and streams too close to campy.
April 13, 2017
170413: I can't take it. Impossible 2 is overly dramatic to the point of being silly. I have never been able to suspend my belief enough to think of Cruise as a tough guy; nor enough to enjoy the majority of the stunts in this film. Much like the original, suffers from dated technology. Two stars is kind.
April 10, 2017
Zachary Tobeck Enjoyed This Movie On DVD Once When I Brought In One Time.
½ March 28, 2017
started off promisingly but Dougray Scott doesn't make a very good villain. the action at the end of the film was way too over the top and over long. overall the film is pretty funny and I don't think it is meant to be.
March 22, 2017
By far the worst of the franchise.
March 10, 2017
Decent action sequences, but the first half hour was kind of stupid and some of it was very predictable. And what was up with Tom Cruise's stupid haircut in this one?
March 5, 2017
After the success of the first film, this second film was inevitable. With director John Woo directing you would expect a film that is entirely thrilling, entertaining and fun but unfortunately it is only partially that since outside of the action scenes the plot, the script and even some of the acting is seriously lacking which the first film had no where near the same amount of issues. The majority of people involved in this film have done better be it Tom Cruise, John Woo or even Hans Zimmer whose score though decent just comes off as rejected parts from Gladiator. One area that is entirely representative of the lacking plot and script is the use of the masks used to deceive and conceal the real identity of certain people which was used once in a major plot point in the first film but is used five times in this film which just becomes repetitive and boring. So apart from Cruise, some of the supporting cast, solid action and typical style from Woo this is utterly average and the low point for the series.
½ February 25, 2017
Action hurt the story. Watched it again recently, it's sloppy, and comical.
½ January 25, 2017
Mission Impossible 2 features action packed scenes placed randomly throughout the movie, which makes it only a slight improvement from the original.
½ January 23, 2017
To be fair, it lacks substance and I found it to be a bit slow during the first act. Fortunately, Tom Cruise is once again game in the role of Ethan Hunt, the action sequences are spectacular and the music conducted by Hans Zimmer is amazing. Man, this movie's update on the original TV series' theme song is the bomb. While I can understand why some perceive this as the weakest out of all the Mission Impossible movies - heck, it probably could've easily been passed off as a film not based off of anything at all except an original screenplay -, John Woo still does a decent job of giving this movie cinematic value. Well, it must've done something right if more people went to see this movie in 2000 rather than Gladiator.
½ January 19, 2017
Given the Woo treatment, this is markedly different from the first movie but still a lot of fun. Its repeated use of the mask gimmick and arty, balletic, comic book action may bother some but for me it still delivers excitement, spectacle and good entertainment.
January 8, 2017
Good actions and acting from Tom Cruise. The ending was very suspenseful as well as the break-in into the facility. Ving Rhames was good once again.
January 3, 2017
The problem with this movie is that in Woo's need to maintain his Hong Kong ethos, Ethan Hunt changes character drastically from the first movie - but changes back for Part III.
½ December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ December 26, 2016
I have a love/hate relationship with this movie. It has some beautiful cinematography, some amazing action sequences, and a metal soundtrack. However, not all of the action sequences are amazing. For every decent one there is also a laughable and cringe worthy one as well. This movie has too many haters and as corny as it is, I still think it is better than the first one.
December 20, 2016
True Woo - artfully violent. Not much in the way of compelling performances (apart from Newton) but the slow-mo gun fu and balletic hand-to-hand and amazing chase sequences are fantastic to watch. Also excellent to have Sydney as the backdrop for most of it, even though it at times involves some almost ridiculously fast travel - how exactly does one get from the outer western suburbs to Manly in a few minutes without having to battle the terrible traffic?
½ December 1, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: Mission: Impossible returns and it's just as gripping as before. This time the anti is upped thanks to the addition of some (albeit cheesy) character development and a higher-stakes story. It's big, brash and exciting stuff, and is exactly what we will come to expect from this franchise (perhaps bar the 3rd instalment).
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It's also just as confusing and ridiculous as the last movie, though it seems to take itself more seriously. That's a lot to ask when there's little to suggest it's any more sophisticated. In fact, it's probably less.
VERDICT: This kind of Mission: Impossible movie should just be a bit of fun. Sadly, this one asks us to take it a little too seriously.
November 29, 2016
Way better than the first movie. Loved the love triangle.
½ November 22, 2016
With John Woo directing Mission Impossible 2, I really expect the film to be a lot of fun, stylish, and interesting to watch. Seeing as one of the writers from the first one wrote the sequel too, I thought it was a good thing to see, but it turned out to be the weakest film of the whole franchise, even though I like it a bit. Tom Cruise is great in it, and Thandie Newton is pretty good. The plot, while clearer than the first movie, is not that interesting, and is like other spy movies that I pretty much know how it goes. It has a generic villain, and some new characters that I don't really care that much as they don't get a backstory, except for the thief who was decent. The action scenes are good, but wasn't as exciting as I thought was going to be which disappointed me a bit. The script was a bit lackluster and could've been better with a rewrite. The chemistry between Tom Cruise and Thandie Newton is decent, but nothing memorable about it. I feel like Mission Impossible 2 was trying to be one of those dumb movies that it'll be better if you turn your brain off, but I couldn't because that'll make it feel out of place. As is, Mission Impossible 2 is a decent film that has a bit of effort in it, even if it was towards style than substance.