Mommie Dearest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mommie Dearest Reviews

September 29, 2016
This was a hard movie to get through. I had to watch it in a few sittings. Its difficult to tell if the movie and the perspective of Joan Crawford's life is genuine enough to fully make a judgement in how cruel this woman actually was. However, it is a haunting reminder of how families thrusted into the spotlight can be ripped apart though the vain glories of chasing fame and their reliance in the deception of appearances.
½ July 19, 2016
A disjointed and episodic adaptation that will appeal more to those who are curious to know about Joan Crawford's abusive relationship with her daughter, since it makes no effort in character development and is only worth it for Faye Dunaway in a histrionic, over-the-top performance.
July 14, 2016
Ryan Gosling taught me to be better than The Gap. This movie taught me to never use wire hangers. And to always clean under the tree. HAHAHAHAHA!!!
June 5, 2016
I am among the few who admired Ms. Dunaway's performance. She claims it ruined her career, but it's hard to see why. She rings true for the most part, one diva quite convincingly playing another, but the movie is mostly about her home life, with little of her Hollywood stardom, which might have livened up the tale. The oddly under-populated scene where Joan visits her studio and Louie B. Mayer fires her is deadly dull, and pointless -- she asks him to escort her to her car so she can hold her head up high, which would have been the gracious thing for him to do, but he gives her the brush off for no reason that is explained. The main fault here is Diana Scarwind as Christina Crawford, giving an odd, spaced out performance. There is no "normal" person with whom we can identify. The movie is very slow and episodic, with a few famous scenes. I read "Mommie Dearest" in installments when it was first printed in "New York Magazine," and the story was never again so gripping. The movie seems to be presented in installments, too, but they are not so vivid as they were in the magazine, heightened and condensed. Christina Crawford's book was sharp and insightful, so why she is presented as a passive, mush-mouthed cypher is puzzling. This movie isn't as "campy" as people would like to think. But it is pretty dull.
June 4, 2016
This is definitely a guilty pleasure and its entertaining!
May 16, 2016
Mommie Dearest is the supposed true account of Hollywood actress, Joan Crawford, and her extremely unorthodox behaviour as a parent during the 1940s and beyond; all based on her daughter, Christina Crawford's memoir which she published after her mother's death. This film has become something of a cult-classic due to its campy nature and over-the-top performances, but it's honestly too scattershot and ridiculous for me to ever want to watch again. The lead performance from Faye Dunaway, as Crawford, is the best this film has to offer, and you can tell she is really trying to give the material some gusto; the rest of the cast ranges from passable to cringe-worthy however. The story is very touch-and-go, with no discernible scene transitions, at times feeling like each scene starts as a "Dear diary" entry from Christina's memoir because almost nothing connects fluently. The film is broken up into two parts, with a young portrayal of the children and an adult portrayal, but neither half really works due to the film's biggest weakness: we learn absolutely no insight into who Joan Crawford was or why she behaved as she did. As an in-depth study, the film utterly fails and we're just supposed to take what we're seeing on screen as gospel; without the evidence to back it up. It's not the worst film ever, and the few revelations we learn about Crawford are interesting (she adopted a child for publicity), but the film is so lackluster in its execution, it's no surprise that the only thing people remember about it is the infamous, "WIRE HANGERS" scene.
May 8, 2016
Joan Crawford's depiction of child abuse and mental illness is very interesting while disturbing to watch her evil existence and demise.
½ April 28, 2016
Faye Dunaway stars as the legendary actress Joan Crawford in this sadistic biopic
½ April 9, 2016
I really need to watch this with my kids on Mother's Day.
March 27, 2016
After looking into the history and real story behind this film I find it hilariously in bad taste. so I love it
½ November 21, 2015
This is one of the most controversial movies based on a controversial book and has its Highs and lows. Its highs include Faye Dunaway as Crawford, the imagery, and the drama. However being a bio-pic it would have been nice if they had been more respectful with the material as they are constantly inconsistent with the tone, one minute its a drama the next its a horror film. its not a fantastic film but its not garbage either, I would consider it a guilty pleasure movie.
August 21, 2015
What a horrible life for children. I had no idea Joan Crawford was so self involved! What a horrible lady. No wonder Bette Davis hated her. Faye Dunaway was SO good in this.
½ July 1, 2015
It has the tools necessary for something great...
June 1, 2015
i can see why the critics don't love it but the gay in me can't keep from embracing loving and quoting all of this repeatedly.
May 31, 2015
Campy, stylish, frightening, hilarious, saddening, informative and intriguing. This movie is all of those things that make it so over the top from beginning to finish. Truly it is wonderfully awful and awfully entertaining. One of thee best cult classics ever!
May 24, 2015
A movie that so doesn't deserve the legacy it has received, I found this movie delightful and well performed by Faye Dunaway. Was she swallowing the scenery? Yes but she really embraced the alcoholic nature of Joan Crawford and I think that she really didn't deserve a Razzie. It's full of great lines and great costumes, make up, and art direction. Yeah I enjoyed this movie I don't think it deserves to be slapped with a "worst movies of all time" label
½ May 10, 2015
I was surprised by how much I really hated this movie, and what a painful experience it was watching it. It's poorly directed so none of the actors look good, badly written and paced since there's no sense of time lapse or tone, and worst of all, there is absolutely no nuance in Faye Dunaway's performance as Joan Crawford. There's no attempt to make us understand this character; I really just despised her from beginning to end. This movie has gotten a cult following as one of those "so bad it's good" movies. Sorry, but I think it's just so bad it's BAD.
½ May 9, 2015
Campy and amusing for its lacklustre, overly dramatic acting and storyline.
April 21, 2015
Why don't we get to see the movies?!?!?
½ April 10, 2015
Dunaway eats up whatever is left of an empty bowl of a movie