Monkey Trouble Reviews

• Mar 09, 2019

I thought I'd seen it all....No, seriously I've seen tons of Family movies, some are heartwarming, some are deep, some shallow but funny, and after watching how many of my favorites Family movies have been re-made I kinda thought ideas are running out and mainly I've seen it all. Every once in a while, however, I stumble upon an old flick that for whatever reason I had skipped in the past and leaves me really impressed. I picked this title because I loved little Thora Birch in "Patriot Games and "Paradise" and I thought let's give it a try, I read also that Harvey Keitel was in it, so I thought maybe there is a good movie that I've missed. Didn't expect much, after all I've seen it all in Family movies, dolphins, gorillas, orcas, mice, parrots, cats, dogs, llamas, so what a monkey could bring in addition to that. Well, when you think you've seen it all, something will stun you, that is this movie, Thora Birch at her best no doubt about it, the monkey is so funny, and script absolutely hilarious, specially about the confusion over framing the adorable protagonist as a common thief, well I'm not gonna give anything else up, but give it a try I bet you will enjoy it.

• Mar 20, 2017

• Dec 27, 2014

Watched it on Neflix twice because it is very funny...esp the monkey,,,

Watched it on Neflix twice because it is very funny...esp the monkey,,,

• Sep 25, 2014

This is a great monkey movie not as good as curious George but good. I wish I had a real monkey . Monkey!!

• Apr 19, 2014

I'm not a big supporter of seeing monkeys as the star of films, but this was a good one. All the little girl (Thora Birch, who several years later became famous for playing the daughter in American Beauty) wanted was a pet, and the writers crafted a cute, touching story. Good performances all around.

• Nov 26, 2013

When I was young I loved this movie just because of the cute monkey. Its a bad movie though but funny

• Jun 25, 2013

good movie but hard to download

good movie but hard to download

• Mar 07, 2013

"Fingers" (Finster) is a trained monkey who pick pockets unsuspecting victims on the California Boardwalk. He works with "Azro" (Harvey Keitel), who is not nice to the monkey. "Azro" and "Fingers" get hired by a guy who may be a Mob boss who wants to use the monkey's abilities, but the monkey escapes from "Azro" -- after leaving him a "note". "Eva" (Thora Birch) is a young lady from a broken home. She can't stand her younger half-brother, and loves animals. She begs her mother (Mimi Rogers) for a pet, but doesn't get her way -- until "Fingers" comes into her life. And with "Fingers", whom she renames "Dodger" after her favorite professional baseball team, "Azro" is not far behind -- and that's only because he wants his monkey back. This film is more for kids than adults. Kids will get a laugh a lot more at the jokes than the grown-ups, who will probably find the comedic situations pretty predictable. In fact, there could have been more comedic moments in this movie, but there isn't. But the comedic moments is chuckle worthy -- if you are an adult. Most of the adult cast is very underused in this film. There is also little development with the adult characters. The majority of the adults are just there to advance the plot. Now that I think about it, the human cast acted as if they didn't care about putting their best effort into their performances, and were only there to make a quick buck. Out of the entire cast, Finster stands out the most. Birch is the only human who is pretty watchable, and slowly improves her performance as the movie advances. When it comes to wardrobe and scenery, nothing really stands out that much at all. You can pretty much tell what took budget cuts. The cinematography is not good, with the exeption of a fair chase scene. It is pretty obvious that this movie is pretty low budget, and they decided to make what is see a major budget cut. Out of all the wardrobes, Keitel's was the most unique because it was the one with the most worn-in look. In fact, I don't think he changed his outfit at all in this movie. The rest of the cast had wardrobes that didn't stand out. The script is very formulaic. I have seen this movie before, with a different species as the feature animal. I've also seen this plot done much better. If you ask me, only rent this one if you have kids. Or, better yet, plunk your kids down in front of the television if this movie is on HBO or the Free Movie section of On Demand.

• Feb 14, 2013

Having pleasant memories of this film from my childhood but not knowing what it was called or who stared in it, I had always hoped to come across it by chance someday and I'm glad I did. So many childhood favorites don't live up to expectations all these years later but this is not one of them. A solid film for the whole family.