Monsters, Inc. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monsters, Inc. Reviews

October 22, 2016
best animated movie of 2001 and one of the best Pixar movies
½ October 15, 2016
Put the Blu-Ray in awhile back. This still sits towards the top of the Pixar collection. Released in 2001 it hasn't aged a bit. My guess,... it will continue to entertain for far more years than I have. A possible classic. Great ensemble with a fun script. Enjoy.
October 5, 2016
This is good and cool.
September 25, 2016
it is a wonderful movie pixar is great
½ September 21, 2016
Creative and sweet! One of the best Pixar movies to date. (First viewing - Fall 2001 in theaters)
September 6, 2016
This was only Pixar's fourth film but you wouldn't think it, the visuals on display here are pretty much top of their game even by today's standards. What is so perfect about this particular film is like 'Toy Story' the premise is incredibly simple and derives from everybodies childhood. This is what makes 'Monsters' and the Buzz Lightyear adventures so utterly perfect, they touch on everybody's memories, no one can say they can't relate.

Think about it, the plot is so damn simple its genius! monsters that supposedly live in your closet, that's it! Everybody knows of those deep dark places that brought a sense of dread when you were a sprog, under the bed, behind the curtains, in the cupboard, the closet, in the attic or cellar etc...

The way this simple idea is fleshed out I like very much, admittedly I may have gone a different route by not using such a factory line based company idea for the monster setup. That's the one thing I didn't really get on with here, I didn't really enjoy the harsh metal surroundings the monsters live in, seemed to cold and sterile, almost alien not monster, kinda too me out of the moment.

Visually its epic, in some aspects, others its more standard, the character of Sulley easily being the most impressive thing going with that blue fur of his (mega merchandise planning of plush toy sales there methinks). I only wish they had stayed a bit more spooky n kooky with the monster world instead of that rather bland clean direction, and 'Monstropolis' which merely looked like a regular US city! what a waste! man I had some ideas for that.

Likewise the characters went from excellent to meh for me. Of course the main two guys are perfect and their voices are pitch perfectly performed by Crystal and Goodman. Other monster creations are nice but lacked the same kind of horror element. Randall (brilliantly voiced by Buscemi) for instance is just a lizard/chameleon whilst Celia Mae seemed to merely be 'Medusa' which was rather unimaginative. There also seemed to be too many generic looking characters if you ask me, blobs and tentacles etc...I would of loved Tim Burton's angle on this.

Gotta be honest I also felt like I was shoved out of the moment when the plot introduced 'Boo' the human child. Now I know this is the basis for the entire plot and it is for the younger generation of course but I just thought the whole thing went way too schmaltzy. The little kid was disgustingly cute to point where I really disliked the character and wanted to vomit.

Towards the end as we hit the finale the film does tend to go into a frenzy of fast paced action, it does get a wee bit too frenetic and hysterical as the characters are bounding through door after door. Again its a nice idea but kinda goes a bit too far and takes you out of the moment, you feel tired just watching it.

I think this film is definitely aimed more for the kids, sounds dumb I know but some of these CGI flicks are more universal and can be enjoyed by all ages. This film is the same in that sense but I think its much more kiddie orientated especially with the sweet relationship that builds between Boo and Sulley and the heartfelt ending. I did expect a bit more sarcasm from Crystal with his character but he seemed reigned in a bit to me, clearly a sign its more for the kids this time.
August 26, 2016
It is not an animated feature about relating to toys. It is about relating to monsters and gazed upon the world that surrounds these monsters, and it works.
August 16, 2016
Clever, witty, hilarious, heartfelt and infinitely enjoyable. Monsters Inc is one of Pixar's all time best.
August 14, 2016
A Pixar classic on the level of Toy Story, thanks to the great characters, and the film's depth.
½ August 10, 2016
Great story being told by the spectacular Pixar company. The characters are funny and lovable, the plot is engaging and originally, and most of all the love for this movie holds up strongly to this day. It's obviously a Disney Classic and deserves that title.
August 9, 2016
March 6th 2013
August 8th 2016
July 27, 2016
Ok but not my favourite
½ July 26, 2016
Yet another animated triumph that reminds us of how Pixar were the best of the best when it comes to animated movies.
The idea is creative and interesting. The characters are lovable as usual. This film is for all ages. No matter how old you are, the kid inside you can't resist this wonderful movie that again is filled with morals and life lessons.
The best thing about it is the ending. The ending is heart-warming and emotional. Mike, Sully, and Boo are one of the biggest joys of my life and I will never get bored of them no matter how many times I watch the movie.
Score: 9.8/10 (Amazing).
½ July 18, 2016
Monster Inc is one of those rare Pixar film that is brilliant, hilarious, awesome animation, and a delightful ending.
July 17, 2016
A movie that makes ugly monsters look cute,and punches you in the face with unexpected,powerful story.
½ July 16, 2016
Monsters Inc. is a great movie. With a good story, a great set of cast members, amazing world the characters live in, great music for each scene & has great animation.
There is one downside to the movie which involves the villain to the film which was the character Randell I feel like they tried too much with him and he really put me off.
But aside from that Monsters Inc is still a great film for kids a like but I feel like it should've got a PG rating instead of U rating or G if someone from the U.S is reading this.
I give this film a 9.5 out of 10 still this day like the other 3 Pixar films before this one.
July 15, 2016
Monsters Inc. is hilarious and heartwarming. This movie is reversed to having kids scare monsters which is a brilliant idea for a movie plot. This movie is also based on how monsters relate to human life everyday which is also brilliant and genius. This is one of my favorite Pixar movies yet. Pixar has done it again. I would very much suggest this movie.
July 15, 2016
I can't even describe how great of a movie Monsters inc. is. This movie creates a bar that would be hard to surpass. Monsters inc. passes up both Toy Story 2 and A Bug's Life combined. This movie goes without saying hands down one of the best Pixar films ever made. I would recommend this movie to anyone.
½ July 11, 2016
I loved, loved, loved this movie as a kid. It's still great today. The monster 'world' that's painted out and how fun and memorable the characters are is really what makes the movie. Plus there's that Pixar heartwarming bullshit too, lmfao. Haha, well yeah. 'Nuff said.