Monsters, Inc. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monsters, Inc. Reviews

December 8, 2016
Pretty good movie, especially when I was a kid I love this movie speaking of which this is also as good as monsters University
December 7, 2016
Not Pixar's best but it's still really good.
November 29, 2016
Monsters Inc. has funny slapstick, charming characters and a heart rarely seen in modern kids cartoons.
November 29, 2016
Monsters Inc is one of the many masterpieces, if not one of the Top 5, of PIXAR.
October 27, 2016
Favorite Pixar movie that they've made so far!
October 25, 2016
Pixar has ventured into a whole new world; the monster world. In Monsters, Inc., the monsters that used to haunt you at night live in a town called Monstropolis. Mike Wazowski (Billy Crystal) and roommate James P. Sullivan (John Goodman) work together everyday at Monsters, Inc.; the world's largest power company. When Mike makes reservations to go on a date with girlfriend, Celia (Jennifer Tilly), Sully goes to fill out Mike's paperwork and stumbles across a door. Naturally he opens it to see if there are any monsters in there before he sends it back, but he finds out that no one is in there. When he leaves he discovers a human child; the first human child that Monstropolis has ever seen. Humans are toxic to monsters, so this is not to be taken lightly. The rest of the movie is full of humor, seriousness, and a whole lot of screaming. Monsters, Inc. presents itself well with humorous lines, and a cast that really put the movie together. On the other hand, there are a lot of characters in the movie that have just one or two lines, while the rest of the movie is based on the same four characters. The movie also has a lot of scenes that seem to last forever, with no real direction. Overall, I give this movie five out of five stars. Bring the kids, grab your candy and get ready for a lot of laughs.
October 22, 2016
best animated movie of 2001 and one of the best Pixar movies
½ October 15, 2016
Put the Blu-Ray in awhile back. This still sits towards the top of the Pixar collection. Released in 2001 it hasn't aged a bit. My guess,... it will continue to entertain for far more years than I have. A possible classic. Great ensemble with a fun script. Enjoy.
October 5, 2016
This is good and cool.
September 25, 2016
it is a wonderful movie pixar is great
½ September 21, 2016
Creative and sweet! One of the best Pixar movies to date. (First viewing - Fall 2001 in theaters)
September 6, 2016
This was only Pixar's fourth film but you wouldn't think it, the visuals on display here are pretty much top of their game even by today's standards. What is so perfect about this particular film is like 'Toy Story' the premise is incredibly simple and derives from everybodies childhood. This is what makes 'Monsters' and the Buzz Lightyear adventures so utterly perfect, they touch on everybody's memories, no one can say they can't relate.

Think about it, the plot is so damn simple its genius! monsters that supposedly live in your closet, that's it! Everybody knows of those deep dark places that brought a sense of dread when you were a sprog, under the bed, behind the curtains, in the cupboard, the closet, in the attic or cellar etc...

The way this simple idea is fleshed out I like very much, admittedly I may have gone a different route by not using such a factory line based company idea for the monster setup. That's the one thing I didn't really get on with here, I didn't really enjoy the harsh metal surroundings the monsters live in, seemed to cold and sterile, almost alien not monster, kinda too me out of the moment.

Visually its epic, in some aspects, others its more standard, the character of Sulley easily being the most impressive thing going with that blue fur of his (mega merchandise planning of plush toy sales there methinks). I only wish they had stayed a bit more spooky n kooky with the monster world instead of that rather bland clean direction, and 'Monstropolis' which merely looked like a regular US city! what a waste! man I had some ideas for that.

Likewise the characters went from excellent to meh for me. Of course the main two guys are perfect and their voices are pitch perfectly performed by Crystal and Goodman. Other monster creations are nice but lacked the same kind of horror element. Randall (brilliantly voiced by Buscemi) for instance is just a lizard/chameleon whilst Celia Mae seemed to merely be 'Medusa' which was rather unimaginative. There also seemed to be too many generic looking characters if you ask me, blobs and tentacles etc...I would of loved Tim Burton's angle on this.

Gotta be honest I also felt like I was shoved out of the moment when the plot introduced 'Boo' the human child. Now I know this is the basis for the entire plot and it is for the younger generation of course but I just thought the whole thing went way too schmaltzy. The little kid was disgustingly cute to point where I really disliked the character and wanted to vomit.

Towards the end as we hit the finale the film does tend to go into a frenzy of fast paced action, it does get a wee bit too frenetic and hysterical as the characters are bounding through door after door. Again its a nice idea but kinda goes a bit too far and takes you out of the moment, you feel tired just watching it.

I think this film is definitely aimed more for the kids, sounds dumb I know but some of these CGI flicks are more universal and can be enjoyed by all ages. This film is the same in that sense but I think its much more kiddie orientated especially with the sweet relationship that builds between Boo and Sulley and the heartfelt ending. I did expect a bit more sarcasm from Crystal with his character but he seemed reigned in a bit to me, clearly a sign its more for the kids this time.
August 26, 2016
It is not an animated feature about relating to toys. It is about relating to monsters and gazed upon the world that surrounds these monsters, and it works.
August 16, 2016
Clever, witty, hilarious, heartfelt and infinitely enjoyable. Monsters Inc is one of Pixar's all time best.
August 14, 2016
A Pixar classic on the level of Toy Story, thanks to the great characters, and the film's depth.
½ August 10, 2016
Great story being told by the spectacular Pixar company. The characters are funny and lovable, the plot is engaging and originally, and most of all the love for this movie holds up strongly to this day. It's obviously a Disney Classic and deserves that title.
August 9, 2016
March 6th 2013
August 8th 2016
July 27, 2016
Ok but not my favourite
½ July 26, 2016
Yet another animated triumph that reminds us of how Pixar were the best of the best when it comes to animated movies.
The idea is creative and interesting. The characters are lovable as usual. This film is for all ages. No matter how old you are, the kid inside you can't resist this wonderful movie that again is filled with morals and life lessons.
The best thing about it is the ending. The ending is heart-warming and emotional. Mike, Sully, and Boo are one of the biggest joys of my life and I will never get bored of them no matter how many times I watch the movie.
Score: 9.8/10 (Amazing).