Monsters, Inc. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monsters, Inc. Reviews

September 9, 2017
this is the best pixar movie to date. of course i love other pixar movies but this one is my favorite. i named my cat boo and my dog sulley
½ September 3, 2017
This is a good movie if you like movies about the city of Monstropolis in the monster world is powered by energy from the screams of human children. At the Monsters, Inc. factory, skilled monsters employed as "scarers" venture into the human world to scare children and harvest their screams, through doors that activate portals to the children's bedroom closets. It is considered dangerous work, as human children are believed to be "toxic". Energy production is falling because children are becoming less easily scared, and company chairman, Henry J. Waternoose, is determined to find a solution. James P. "Sulley" Sullivan is the organization's top scarer, but his chief rival Randall Boggs is close behind.

One day, Sulley discovers that Randall has left a door activated on the scare floor and a small girl has entered the factory. After several failed attempts to put her back, Sulley conceals her and takes her out of the factory. He interrupts his best friend Mike Wazowski's date with his girlfriend, Celia, at a sushi restaurant, and chaos erupts when the child is discovered. Sulley and Mike manage to escape with the child before the Child Detection Agency (CDA) quarantines the restaurant. They soon discover that she is not really toxic after all; Sulley grows attached to her and calls her "Boo," while Mike is just anxious to be rid of her.

When they smuggle her back into the factory disguised as a baby monster in an attempt to send her home, Randall discovers her and tries to kidnap her, but he mistakenly kidnaps Mike instead. He straps Mike to a large machine called "The Scream Extractor," which he intends to use to revolutionize the scaring industry and solve the monster world's energy problems by forcefully extracting screams from kidnapped human children. Before Randall can use the machine on Mike, Sulley intervenes and reports Randall to Waternoose. Waternoose, secretly in league with Randall, instead exiles Mike and Sulley to the Himalayas. The two are taken in by a Yeti, who tells them about a nearby village which Sulley realizes he can use to return to the factory. Sulley prepares to leave, but Mike refuses to go with him. Meanwhile, Randall is preparing to use the Scream Extractor on Boo, but Sulley arrives and saves her. Randall and Sulley fight, and after Mike returns and the two reconcile, they overpower Randall, take Boo, and flee.

Randall pursues them to the door vault, and a wild chase ensues among the millions of doors as they move in and out of the storage vault on rails to the factory floor. Boo's laughter causes all the doors to activate, allowing the monsters to pass in and out of the human world. Randall attempts to kill Sulley, but Boo overcomes her fear and attacks him. Sulley and Mike trap Randall in the human world, where two residents at a trailer park mistake him for an alligator and beat him with a shovel. Sulley and Mike then trick Waternoose into revealing his plot with Randall, while Mike secretly records the entire conversation for the CDA to view. The CDA arrests Waternoose, while Sulley and Mike say goodbye to Boo and return her home before her door is shredded to prevent any more contact with her.

With the factory temporarily shut down, Sulley is named the new CEO of Monsters, Inc. Under his leadership, the energy crisis is solved by harvesting children's laughter instead of screams, as laughter has been found to be much more potent. Mike takes Sulley aside, revealing he has rebuilt Boo's door and only needs one final piece, which Sulley took as a memento. Sulley enters and joyfully reunites with Boo. Wonderful successor to the previous Monsters Elementary in 1902.
½ August 28, 2017
Monsters Inc (2001) - Is a very imaginative movie with a concept that I would say is brilliant. This would be the first film to be helmed by Pete Doctor and it definitely shows. I remembered loving this movie as a kid and admittedly even deep down in my heart I still love the movie as an adult.
The Concept is possibly one of the best if not the best idea Pixar has ever came up with. The world building is incredible as it takes the idea of monsters scaring children and makes an entire world around it. It's amazing the way they got creative with establishing the way Monsters Incorporated functions and the creative reason why monsters need to scare children. The actual narrative itself does play on with the movies ideas while adding some laugh out loud humor and some surprising deep messages about the acceptance of fatherhood and economic decline. I could go on and on about the creativity of this movie but overall it's some of Pixar's best world building.
The Characters are casted perfectly and all of them are just irresistible in all the right ways. Sully is loveable and really sympathetic when it comes to protecting Boo and making sure she's safe. Mike is comedic powerhouse and gets a lot of big laughs Thanks to Billy Cyrstal's voice work. His relationship with Sully is really genuine and can be put to the test in certain parts of the movie. Boo might be a little distracting sometimes, but she really is cute and she does serve a more important purpose in the movie later on. Randall, being one of the antagonists really does go all out with his sinisterness and I can tell that Steve Buscemi had a blast voicing the character. Mr Waternoose is probably the most tragic character I've ever come across. I would go into why but it would give away spoilers. I will say that he's one of those characters that meant well even if he was doing the wrong thing and I felt so sorry for him in the end. The rest of the characters can have their moments of standing out (Especially Roz) and they contribute as much as they can when they interact with the main characters.
The Animation really brings all the creativity to life and it sucks us into a whole new world for us to explore. One thing that was really cool is how in the beginning they start with a very upbeat 2D sequence. It's a very creative way to open the movie and the animation plays along perfectly with the music. The environments are just amazing to look at and they show off every creative aspect from the quiet streets of Monstropolis, to the epic size and scale of Monster incorporated's door vault. The design of the monsters are very creative and some of the little details like sully's fur are very impressive.
The Music was for the fourth time by Randy Newman. The Upbeat Jazz music really gives the movie an identity and it adds on to the movies style in a lot of scenes. A lot of the other music uses the soft violin melodies to let the heartfelt scenes play out. The movie's theme works greatly when played with the 2D animated opening and it really is irresistible to listen to. Even the song at the end credits "If I didn't have you" is a great representation of the relationship between Mike and Sully.
Sometimes I do tend to forgot how much I used to love this movie. Although some of Pixar's other films might have left slightly bigger impacts I still have a special place in my heart for this movie. It has a very imaginative concept, lovable characters, Amazing animation and a very upbeat music score. It was one of the first Pixar movies i've ever scene and it introduced me to one of the best animation studios in the business. (A)
August 10, 2017
Very good movie.
Rating. 8.2/10.
½ August 10, 2017
Funny,Emotional and a great film.
½ August 8, 2017
With lovable characters,amazing animation and great jokes monsters inc is
easily one of the best animated films of all time.
½ August 7, 2017
Pixar truly hit a homerun in this film from it's fantastic CGI, star-studded voice cast that brought the characters to life, to is it's well thought of storyline the grabs your attention throughout the film!
August 5, 2017
It's the epidimy of originality. This is why I love Pixar! They take in a wierd concept for a movie and made it a instant hit. Monsters Inc. is one of my childhood movies with one of the best duo's in an animated movie - Sulley and Mike. The animation is fantastic, the supporting characters super funny, some scenes are spetacular to see, and in one case, a really heartbreaking one. A Pixar Classic for all ages!

|It's a 9,0 out of 10|
August 2, 2017
ABC SHOULD DO THAT MOVIE NEXT
August 2, 2017
I'm glad I saw it. I just dunno if I would see it again.
July 27, 2017
With a unique script with exhilarating action sequences along with well acted parts and laugh out loud humor this Pixar film raise the bar even higher
July 19, 2017
Lovable characters, great plot, fantastic animation, and... stop wasting your time reading the reviews and watch it already. Highly recommended
July 12, 2017
The best animated film ever made in my opinion.
July 10, 2017
OMG I LOVE THIS FILM. Mainly because it is a great kids film, has a magnificent storyline, good jokes, funny characters(mainly Mike), great graphics and just an overall phenomenally well done film. This is my favorite animated film. Definitely 5 out of 5 stars.
June 29, 2017
Tied with The Incredibles as the best Pixar movie
½ June 24, 2017
Another one of my favorite Pixar movies. Top 5 even. Amazing visuals, characters, and moments, Monster's Inc is indeed one of my favorite animated movies of all time. It also has everything that Pixar is known about, including very funny moments, and a few sad ones, too. 9.5 out of 10, this movie is definitely a classic!
June 24, 2017
Classic, funny animated Disney film for all ages
½ June 12, 2017
Take 2 of watching this with my 4 year old as he got a little creeped out first time round when he was a little younger. I'm glad we gave it another go, it's really touching and a lot funnier than I remembered. Said 4 year old absolutely loved this, he was cheering and laughing especially through the entire second half and found Buscemi's bad guy genuinely scary. One of the real Pixar triumphs.
May 31, 2017
The best movie forever :D
May 30, 2017
Monsters, Inc. delivers a touching story that hits the right notes Pixar is known for to rise it above your average animated film.