Monsters, Inc. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monsters, Inc. Reviews

April 24, 2017
This is probably my favorite Pixar movie, and animated movie for that matter, other than possibly Up. It is imaginative, creative, funny, entertaining, and fun. I'll start with the concept. It's probably Pixar's most clever concept to date, other than Inside Out. The idea that the monsters in your closets and under your beds are not forces of evil, but rather just average everyday 9-5 office workers who scare to collect the energy of human screams is incredibly innovative and creative. Too many films stop there, though -- they have a cool concept, but the movie itself doesn't deliver. Monsters, Inc. more than delivers on its concept though. Enter Mike and Sulley, two buddies who work at Monsters, Inc. The chemistry between them is great, Mike is hilarious, and every moment with the two of them onscreen is filled to the brim with energy.
Then the plot begins, which, given the concept, was probably the best plot they could possibly think of: a kid escapes out into the monster world. Sulley finds her, brings her home, and the next day he and Mike try to put her back in her door. Sulley begins to develop a relationship though, which is handled very nicely -- it takes time to develop, and feels genuine.
By the end of the movie, my favorite sequence, they find themselves riding one of the many millions of doors through a giant warehouse in the factory. This is where the concept is extended to its creative extreme; it starts with the simple idea that maybe monsters scare you as part of their job, and by the end, we're allowed the visual of the millions of different doors stored in the factory. The chase scene at the end is very fun and entertaining, but what is best about it is the concept their dealing with, enhancing its creative energy. There is a chase scene after the door scene that is very cleverly organized as well, that I like just a much -- most of the fun of that scene is derived from the way everything comes together.
Then of course there's the touching ending between Sulley and Boo. Most Pixar movies lay their emotional, poignant themes and sequences on pretty heavily (Toy Story 2 & 3, Finding Nemo, Up, Inside Out, to name a few), but in this one, it's kind of subtle, and I like that. They give you just enough to emotionally connect with characters, and what I love most about it is how genuine it feels -- they've taken time to establish these characters and their relationships, so it doesn't feel forced. Their relationship is both a neat idea on paper, and heartwarming to watch.
On top of my main points for loving this movie, this is probably Pixar's funniest movie. I know there's people who can't stand Mike, but I find myself laughing at everything that comes out of his mouth. God knows Pixar has had comical relief characters that become more annoying than funny -- believe me, I've seen the Cars movies. But then there are characters like Mike and Dory, who don't overdo it at least for me, and end up becoming one of the most charming aspects of the film. The movie isn't too long, which is very admirable in a kid's movie, and builds tension perfectly to climax. I've seen this movie many, many, times, and it is always enjoyable and entertaining. This is one of my top 20 favorite films of all time, not because it does anything huge, but merely because of its charm, style, fun, creativity, and entertainment. This is one of the most underrated Pixar movies, usually considered to be the worst of the "good ones" (meaning not A Bug's Life, Cars, Cars 2, Brave, Monsters University, and the Good Dinosaur), which is a shame because it truly is a wonderful film.
½ April 22, 2017
Making a story about monsters by telling why and how kids can sometimes see them coming out of their closets - what a fun and unique idea!
½ April 21, 2017
Monsters inc is one of the best animation movies I've ever seen ;)
April 20, 2017
OMG I LOVE THIS FILM. Mainly because it is a great kids film, has a clever plot, good jokes, funny characters(mainly Mike) & great graphics. This is probably my favorite animated film. 10 out of 10 stars.
½ April 5, 2017
Such a sweet story filled with many comical moments, the third original Pixar property is as big of a hit as their past two ventures. Fantastic characters and dialogue make for a very heartfelt film.
½ April 3, 2017
Best movie I've seen in a long time. Best animated film since Aladdin. Would not ind seeing again. The child is adorable. The plot is interesting. Somehow kinder, gentler than Shrek.

Loved this movie. Kinder, gentler less sarcastic than Shrek. Wasn't prepared for he little girl to be so young - really cute.
½ April 2, 2017
Parte del familiar sentimiento que invade las noches de la infancia. El miedo a un ente malvado acechando en la oscuridad, debajo de la cama. Y recurre a uno de los objetos de mayor poder poético para nuestra especie a través del tiempo: la puerta.

7/10: Muy Buena.
March 29, 2017
Monsters, Inc. shows a brighter side of the beasts young children dread with great humour, big smiles and gentle kindness. (In most characters!)
½ March 26, 2017
Where to start? Monsters, Inc has a great original concept, memorable characters, hilarious moments, and a heartwarming relationship between Sulley and Boo. While not the absolute best pixar film, its one of my personal favorites.
March 20, 2017
Liked it a lot as a kid.
March 20, 2017
Not Pixar's best but still better than anything Dreamworks has come up with
March 15, 2017
Maybe if I saw this movie when I was a little younger, I would have enjoyed it a bit more. But as a teenager, I enjoyed this movie due to it's unique & diverse universe, as well as it's clever comedy, enjoyable storyline/plot & the amazing performances!
It's a brilliant movie to watch if you want to avoid the terrors of boredom!!
March 14, 2017
Tables turn as a charming young girl bursts through her own closet door and sends shivers through the monsters on the other side. Everything about this is wonderful, from the essentially Pixar concept to the warm, sentimental relationships at its core. Even the animation has held up quite well, which isn't always the case with these early CG efforts: humans still look a bit wonky, but most of the cast seems drawn straight from the pages of a Caldecott winner and that kind of bright, absurd character works beautifully. John Goodman and Billy Crystal carry most of the heavy-lifting as Mike and Sulley, blue collar creatures with an easy, free-flowing rapport, but three-year-old Mary Gibbs threatens to steal the scene every time she gets the chance with her adorable almost-words and penetrating good cheer. Exceedingly well-balanced, with the kind of imagination that keeps mouths gaping and so much heart, even the boogeyman might have to fight back a tear or two. One of my favorites of the entire Pixar catalog, it swings hard and connects on every level. Sweet, sad, silly and stupendous, a timeless classic that I was glad to share with my kids.
March 14, 2017
I LOVE LOVE THIS MOVIE. Mainly because it has so much charm, it's kid friendly, it's funny, and Mike is my favorite character! Also, it really beats Shrek's toilet humor, along with Jimmy Neutron. Out of all three Shrek, Monsters Inc & Jimmy Neutron, Monsters inc was the best in my opinion.
½ February 22, 2017
Pretty memorable flick.
February 18, 2017
one of the best animated movies Disney Pixar has to offer
½ January 13, 2017
Back in the days of prime Pixar. This is a fantastic animated picture. The voice cast is brilliant, John Goodman, Billy Crystal and Steve Buscemi really bring the characters to life. I'm sure you know what the best part of the film is, the relationship between Sully and Boo watching it develop is incredibly touching and tear-jerking but there is a lot of comedy in and around it too. Pixar cater for adults as well as kids beautifully like they always do.
January 13, 2017
This is good and cool.
½ December 12, 2016
Desde seu conceito fantástico até sua realização, que não poderia ter sido mais feliz, este filme é um triunfo.
Uma das grandes animações da Pixar, divertido e comovente na mesma medida e com a galeria de personagens irresistíveis de sempre.
½ December 11, 2016
One of Pixar's best animations, Monsters Inc. is cute all the way through and manages play with your emotions, as you expect from any Pixar film.