Monsters, Inc. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monsters, Inc. Reviews

July 19, 2017
Lovable characters, great plot, fantastic animation, and... stop wasting your time reading the reviews and watch it already. Highly recommended
July 12, 2017
The best animated film ever made in my opinion.
July 10, 2017
OMG I LOVE THIS FILM. Mainly because it is a great kids film, has a magnificent storyline, good jokes, funny characters(mainly Mike), great graphics and just an overall phenomenally well done film. This is my favorite animated film. Definitely 5 out of 5 stars.
June 29, 2017
Tied with The Incredibles as the best Pixar movie
½ June 24, 2017
Another one of my favorite Pixar movies. Top 5 even. Amazing visuals, characters, and moments, Monster's Inc is indeed one of my favorite animated movies of all time. It also has everything that Pixar is known about, including very funny moments, and a few sad ones, too. 9.5 out of 10, this movie is definitely a classic!
June 24, 2017
Classic, funny animated Disney film for all ages
½ June 12, 2017
Take 2 of watching this with my 4 year old as he got a little creeped out first time round when he was a little younger. I'm glad we gave it another go, it's really touching and a lot funnier than I remembered. Said 4 year old absolutely loved this, he was cheering and laughing especially through the entire second half and found Buscemi's bad guy genuinely scary. One of the real Pixar triumphs.
May 31, 2017
The best movie forever :D
May 30, 2017
Monsters, Inc. delivers a touching story that hits the right notes Pixar is known for to rise it above your average animated film.
½ May 30, 2017
Creative, funny, and a little bit of heart, Monster's Inc is a movie that everyone will enjoy. I recommend this pleasure to watch
May 21, 2017
Wow this has to be my personal favorite Disney Pixar movie of all time and it is entertaining to both parents and children and it has an amazing plot to it and adds a new amazing entry to Disney Pixar!
May 16, 2017
Pixar does it again!!
May 10, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: 'Monsters Inc' is yet another example of innovative, smart and fun storytelling from Pixar that truly cemented their success and showed the far reaches of animation in all its glory. In fact, I'm far from alone in putting this film right up with the previous Toy Story ventures, as I believe it packs the same level of brilliant charm, exciting moments and great characters - as well as even more beautiful visuals - to build a properly enjoyable film for the whole family.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It never delves particularly deep into it's ideas, but keeping in mind what it's trying to be, it really does excel.
VERDICT: Much like the previous Toy Stories, 'Monsters Inc' succeeds exactly where it wants to - building charming emotions, swooping joys, and the occasional serious idea alongside.
½ May 4, 2017
Creative and sweet! One of the best Pixar movies to date. (First viewing - Fall 2001 in theaters)
April 30, 2017
Aside from being another visual treat as part of Pixar's nature, Monsters Inc. is a film that lets the little kid inside all of us come out and have a laugh. The film boasts a simple yet clever concept as monsters are depicted as regular people who scare children as part of their job since it powers electricity in their world. The characters are, as one would come to expect from a Pixar film,memorable with Billy Crystal and John Goodman being perfect for the vocal roles of Mike and Sulley, respectively. Considering that this is the most memorable film for both Goodman and Crystal to date, that's saying a lot. Steve Buscemi also seems to be having fun voicing Randall, who's oddly entertaining in a way. Note that I can't, at the moment, favourably compare him to a role in one of the movies that the Coen brothers directed. Maybe next time, Fargo. The film also is pretty charming and sweet. There's also this sequence set in a door vault and you can tell the animators worked really hard on it so that we can be amazed by it. An irresistible animation classic regardless of your age.
April 24, 2017
This is probably my favorite Pixar movie, and animated movie for that matter, other than possibly Up. It is imaginative, creative, funny, entertaining, and fun. I'll start with the concept. It's probably Pixar's most clever concept to date, other than Inside Out. The idea that the monsters in your closets and under your beds are not forces of evil, but rather just average everyday 9-5 office workers who scare to collect the energy of human screams is incredibly innovative and creative. Too many films stop there, though -- they have a cool concept, but the movie itself doesn't deliver. Monsters, Inc. more than delivers on its concept though. Enter Mike and Sulley, two buddies who work at Monsters, Inc. The chemistry between them is great, Mike is hilarious, and every moment with the two of them onscreen is filled to the brim with energy.
Then the plot begins, which, given the concept, was probably the best plot they could possibly think of: a kid escapes out into the monster world. Sulley finds her, brings her home, and the next day he and Mike try to put her back in her door. Sulley begins to develop a relationship though, which is handled very nicely -- it takes time to develop, and feels genuine.
By the end of the movie, my favorite sequence, they find themselves riding one of the many millions of doors through a giant warehouse in the factory. This is where the concept is extended to its creative extreme; it starts with the simple idea that maybe monsters scare you as part of their job, and by the end, we're allowed the visual of the millions of different doors stored in the factory. The chase scene at the end is very fun and entertaining, but what is best about it is the concept their dealing with, enhancing its creative energy. There is a chase scene after the door scene that is very cleverly organized as well, that I like just a much -- most of the fun of that scene is derived from the way everything comes together.
Then of course there's the touching ending between Sulley and Boo. Most Pixar movies lay their emotional, poignant themes and sequences on pretty heavily (Toy Story 2 & 3, Finding Nemo, Up, Inside Out, to name a few), but in this one, it's kind of subtle, and I like that. They give you just enough to emotionally connect with characters, and what I love most about it is how genuine it feels -- they've taken time to establish these characters and their relationships, so it doesn't feel forced. Their relationship is both a neat idea on paper, and heartwarming to watch.
On top of my main points for loving this movie, this is probably Pixar's funniest movie. I know there's people who can't stand Mike, but I find myself laughing at everything that comes out of his mouth. God knows Pixar has had comical relief characters that become more annoying than funny -- believe me, I've seen the Cars movies. But then there are characters like Mike and Dory, who don't overdo it at least for me, and end up becoming one of the most charming aspects of the film. The movie isn't too long, which is very admirable in a kid's movie, and builds tension perfectly to climax. I've seen this movie many, many, times, and it is always enjoyable and entertaining. This is one of my top 20 favorite films of all time, not because it does anything huge, but merely because of its charm, style, fun, creativity, and entertainment. This is one of the most underrated Pixar movies, usually considered to be the worst of the "good ones" (meaning not A Bug's Life, Cars, Cars 2, Brave, Monsters University, and the Good Dinosaur), which is a shame because it truly is a wonderful film.
½ April 22, 2017
Making a story about monsters by telling why and how kids can sometimes see them coming out of their closets - what a fun and unique idea!
½ April 21, 2017
Monsters inc is one of the best animation movies I've ever seen ;)
½ April 5, 2017
Such a sweet story filled with many comical moments, the third original Pixar property is as big of a hit as their past two ventures. Fantastic characters and dialogue make for a very heartfelt film.
½ April 3, 2017
Best movie I've seen in a long time. Best animated film since Aladdin. Would not ind seeing again. The child is adorable. The plot is interesting. Somehow kinder, gentler than Shrek.

Loved this movie. Kinder, gentler less sarcastic than Shrek. Wasn't prepared for he little girl to be so young - really cute.