L'écume des jours (Mood Indigo) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

L'écume des jours (Mood Indigo) Reviews

August 25, 2016
Another reason to watch Foreign films. A bizarre and unique movie. A good love story that ends tragic. The visuals are very interesting with the use of a lot of stop motion animation.
½ October 13, 2015
Just din't watch the movie without having read the book... You won't understand anything!
½ September 30, 2015
Far too pushy with its surrealism, which is disappointing from Michel Gondry.
September 28, 2015
Gondry displays his usual visual creativity to bring us this surreal universe where abstract is made literal, but his overstuffed narrative has absolutely no structure and it is impossible not to feel exhausted with such a distracting amount of nonsensical elements thrown in at every second.
½ September 7, 2015
Michel Gondry is known for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but this movie is a real stinker. Its a love child hybrid of Gilliam, Jean Pierre Jeunet, but its overly stylized and the story dips in the second half into absolute drivel. The violence just sort of overtakes everything and it all adds up to a whole bunch of nothing. Avoid this film.
½ August 22, 2015
Uma história simples de amor que ocorre num mundo surreal, cheio de geringonças que expressam a imaginação das pessoas nos objetos do dia a dia.
½ August 9, 2015
Two young people meet, fall in love and marry, then she develops a terminal illness. However, in the hands of Gondry, it's a delight to watch.
August 2, 2015
Boris Vian's classic, extravagant and surreal love story gets an overwhelming screen adaptation by Gondry who spares no displays of expert stop-motion and intricate special effects. If sensory overload is your thing then look no further because plot and characters seem secondary here.
½ July 20, 2015
Imagine que o mundo real foi invadido pela física (e a lógica) dos desenhos de animação no seu sentido mais bucólico. Onde a paixão é o suficiente para desenrolar qualquer novo relacionamento, e a dança é o suficiente para alterar as paredes de um quarto. Imagine, enfim, que estamos em um filme completamente tomado pelas loucuras inventivas de Michel Gondry.
May 24, 2015
Beautiful, cute and sad movie. Maybe it's all style but substance, it still gave me half hour of glittering happiness and an hour of gloomy sadness, with an agreeable but tearful ending. I enjoyed it very much. And when the happy times pass, you probably can do nothing but finding a little irresistable warm and heartbeat skipping throb looking back into the faded painting like memory.
½ May 17, 2015
Beyond odd, Gondry's film is an absurdist and surreal adaptation of Boris Vian's odd novel. Vian's novel sort of serves more or less as a jumping off point for an almost epic commentary on romance, love, dystopia and cultural collapse. At times there are so many fantastical things going on at once that it is hard to keep your eyes focused. Intentionally chaotic and weird the film never quite works. But, what a creatively beautiful oddly-shaped heart of a movie. I quite liked it and look forward to repeated views but it would be easy to understand why some would hate it. It might have worked better if there had been a producer to reign in Gondry's over-the-top concept, but then we would not have this unforgettably unique film.
May 5, 2015
So much pointless whimsy. Creative multimedia films like "Bunny and the Bull" and "The Science of Sleep" use fantastical papier mache set pieces to represent some kind of distance between the characters and their imagined lives, but this film's twee arts and crafts hardly pertain to the story. The conflict indicated in the IMDb synopsis doesn't even come until halfway through the movie.
April 28, 2015
A man and woman fall in love, but then she inhales a snowflake and starts to die.
As much as I loved Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, I obviously hated The Green Hornet and didn't much care for The Science of Sleep. So I guess you could say that director Michel Gondry's particular brand of quirk is hit and miss but mostly miss for me. The special effects-laden morning routines of the protagonist and the goofy will-they-won't-they-but-you-really-know-they-will-because-plot courtship doesn't do anything to charm, and when the second act death march starts, the quirk takes a turn to the maudlin. When the film ends, there's not much to say about it besides "Well ... shit," and I didn't know whether I was describing the events or the film.
Overall ... well ... shit.
½ April 26, 2015
Some great surreal quirks but the film as a whole falls flat as the narrative doesn't give you anything to sink your teeth into. It's almost like the quirkiness is there to distract you from the rest of it.
March 26, 2015
This film was fascinating and strange. Tons of imagination and vision, yet I'm not sure what the takeaway was in the end. Thought-provoking for sure.
March 26, 2015
Film bizarre mes bien fais
February 22, 2015
Maybe I wasn't in the "right mood" to watch this, but it felt contrived and self-important rather than whimsical and fun. L'écume des jours" is one of my favorite novels, so it is sad that they couldn't pull it off.
February 17, 2015
refreshing + visual = a joint affair. You have done it again, Gondry. Bravo!
½ February 6, 2015
I can't help but imagine Michel Gondry tossing a copy of this at Spike Jonze & Wes Anderson's feet & declaring, ( in French ) "You guys don't know what quirky is."
January 25, 2015
Not up to Gondry's usual standard. The surreality becomes more and more dystopian as the film becomes less and less watchable.