Mortal Engines - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mortal Engines Reviews

January 20, 2019
I caught this movie on the tail end of it just barely able to find a movie theater to watch it in... And I have no clue why it was!!! That movie is absolutely phenomenal one of my favorite movies for sure and is visually stunning got a great story sure to keep you on your toes and characters you can easily get attached too I encourage anyone and everyone to go see it if you still can it's only flaw is the date it got realeased in my opinion
January 20, 2019
Simply superb. The sets, lighting and action were brilliant. It was gripping from start to finish, and didn't let the wonderful book down. It was great to see the strong female roles.
½ January 20, 2019
It was quite entertaining and the special effects were great. A neat concept as well. I was entertained the whole time.
enjoyable and entertaining
½ January 20, 2019
Movie so stupid didn't like it
January 19, 2019
Visually impressive, but a terrible movie overall.
½ January 18, 2019
A film which has so much potential, ambition and talent, but ultimately falls victim to its own grandiosity, Mortal Engines is yet another post-apocalyptic thriller featuring humans struggling to survive in the aftermath of a cataclysm. It's a central conceit worn painfully thin through rigorous overuse, and there's really not much added to it. Much like the machines which feature in it, it's an expensive, lumbering piece of work that certainly has its merits, but they don't surface enough to justify its existence. Peter Jackson's career peaked with The Lord Of The Rings trilogy, and here he pens a rote script with few surprises, but the visuals are always a sight to behold. There're some fantastic landscape shots, and the mobile cities themselves, while astonishingly impractical, are impressive feats of computer imagery and modelling. With all the backstory, characters and locations, this might have worked better as a mini-series, chopped up so the exposition and introductions could be spread over several episodes rather than being forced on us all at once. The lead is an irritating dope, the heroine is brooding and boring and with the exception of Hugo Weaving, who's always awesome, no one else really leaves much of an impression. The plot moves from expensive set piece to expensive set piece, kept running by a series of coincidences, lucky breaks and deus ex machinas. I was glad to see it on the big screen and appreciate the world it created, and it's a shame to see it do so poorly at the box office. It might be a sign that the movie-going public is turning its back on big budget blockbusters, or maybe it was just destined to never find its audience.
January 18, 2019
Well I naturally knew by its trailer that the whole idea of driving cities would be a bit ridiculous, but I expected at least some great visual effects. And that is pretty much all this movie offers. These are, in fact, jaw dropping images, but they can't hide the fact, that the whole movie is a big bunch of crap. Extremely poor conversations lines, horrible actors, and a story which defies any laws of physics, mechanical engineering, etc. that even Archimedes would turn around in his grave by all the illogical bull.. that they include in this insanely ridiculous story. Though they show a bit of the obvious natural cannibalism and eating slob situation in an post-apocalyptic society, nobody is ever concerned where food actually comes from for those hundreds and thousands of people living on those moving cities. The only concern seems to be energy and rebuilding a pre-global war weapon like if all knowledge of science would have completely disappeared on one part of science, but still existing for others, and that for hundreds of years. It is utter nonsense and one needs to completely switch off one's brain to enjoy it at least a tiny bit for the cool imagery. There is really no need to waste one's time and/or money on this heap of senseless insanity (and I, personally do, in fact, like fantasy movies, proven by the fact that only yesterday morning I re-watched Valerian and I enjoyed it from the very beginning to the last minute). But this Mortal Engines should have never been produced. As I read in the newspaper there were even 2 or 3 follow-up movies planned, but by the bad general reception at the box office, this is hopefully out of the question. 2 1/2 out of 10 points (and that is so high only because of the VR scenery).
½ January 17, 2019
So bad!!!! The characters are so useless, the big cities "eating" other cities is just showed one time in the beginning and the movie really looks like Star Wars. We have Han Solo, Deathstar , Millenium Falcon, Luke Skywalker, Cloud city and Lando. Even Snoke is on the movie but after some really party and drugs.
½ January 16, 2019
Part of me was really interested while watching but another part of me wasn't. I was interesting to see a unique depiction of the future but the plot and the story followed just about every other path that these movie go down. Unless you read the book you wouldn't know all of the back ground you might need to make it better.
January 16, 2019
Great special effects, but the narrative and most of the dialogs are awfully poor, you don' get any emotional attachment to the characters or the story.
½ January 14, 2019
Many speak of what this movie ï¿ 1/2couldï¿ 1/2Â? have been and not so much of what it was. Visually spectacular and overall an enjoyable movie.
January 14, 2019
Cleraly shows a vast, open and rich world.

Gives the feeling of DIMENSION, a great movie for its time.
½ January 14, 2019
Great aesthetic and premise with some iconic moments, but otherwise a one-shot that will go the way of the Golden Compass.
½ January 13, 2019
"City of Ember"; "Inkheart"; "Eragon"; "A Wrinkle in Time"; "Ender's Game"; and "The Golden Compass". Naming a couple of book-turned-film titles that were decently acclaimed on paper, but the interpreted vision of literature tend to be inferiorly received, which brings up the debate of preferring adaptations between books and films. What's special about those titles is that they're stuck with ill-fated luggage of being blocked from narrative continuation that the books were more capable of, and the appealingly adventurous scale that the films presents couldn't go any further in unfortunate matter. But that doesn't mean they're not enjoyable (well, most of them); and joining them is Peter Jackson's new writing visual project with his longtime collaborator Christian Rivers helming the project: "Mortal Engines."

"Mortal Engines" is a huge-scaled dystopian novel taking place few centuries after civilization was destroyed by a cataclysmic event, known as Sixty-Minute War, and cities are now able to mobilize towards the survival of the fittest for resources with London as a giant predator on wheels devouring everything in its path. The only one who can disabled London's engines and secretive, destructive plan of power is Hester Shaw, fiercely-driven with a personal vendetta in memory of her mother. She's later joined by London outcast Tom Natsworthy and dangerous outlaw Anna Fang with a similar motive, while London's head Thaddeus Valentine is in calm desperation to move forward his plan of a supposable key to use increased power to forcibly gather more resources.

It provides an enjoyable thrilling experience by its expected spectacle that settled its own theatrical scale as a way to validate a worthy cinematic experience with visualized set pieces that garners awes, as well visually proved helpful on an impacting scale of the narration that the film delivers in envisioned emphasis. Furthermore, the atmosphere is routinely backed up by Junkie XL's riveting score, and a little from the cast's decent performances, especially Hera Hilmar's breakthrough heroine. Also, there's a subtle interpretation on the dystopian context that led up to a question regarding the rules of the genre of unwanted necessary, solidly strong unity as a sane logical movement. With this amount of imprinting deliverance that a film could entertain, it's however still unbalanced.

Unlike the injected cinematic devices onto the source material, it has left quite a distance from the story not being at the same imprinting level. The structure is clear enough to see how it was initially written, the general story itself enforced the negative tip of the balance scale by the simultaneous soullessness when the spectacle takes the driver's seats with overcoming machines till man re-claims the steering wheel at the last minute. If you were writing a story over the Grand Canyon, how can you justify the immersive offering smoothly while having human drama at its justifying center? That's what Jackson and his frequent collaborative team missed, thus meeting the newly set low bar.

"Mortal Engines" finds Christian Rivers' directorial debut in a similar matter of a production crew role under the guide of an acclaimed director taking on the challenge of helming a project, and he'd reached the acceptable standard with expected imagery and scale of exceptional spirit within a sort-of immersive experience. Even though it has become a new title in the aforementioned book list of ill-fate blocked continuation because the flaws reached towards a level of an unbalanced impression, it still delivers with acceptable enjoyment. (B)
January 12, 2019
Hoy pude haber visto Spiderman: into the spiderverse, pero le di la oportunidad a esta película queriendo probar cosas nuevas fuera del género de superhéroes. Ver ciudades mecánicas gigantes moviéndose y batallando sonaba espectacular pero... resultó ser solo UNA ciudad en solo UNA pelea contra un muro que ni se pudo defender. Todo lo demás es una aburrida historia de venganza contra un predecible villano cliché.
January 12, 2019
Great acting, cinematography, special effects and story. Non stop action.
January 12, 2019
I loved the film as much as I loved being part of the making of it, and the reading of the books. It was a desperate shame to see it not being more visible in the lead-up to the release date, and it truly deserved to do better at the box office.

One of the most visually impressive and delicious films I've ever seen, the sense of scale was spectacular. I found myself wondering if it would have fared better if instead of London, the film was made about New York to capture American audiences more.
½ January 11, 2019
This movie is not nearly as bad as the critics would have you believe. There are movies far worse that have gotten better reviews. I am wondering if critics are getting paid off honestly. That being said, the acting was great. The storyline fell flat though. I am not familiar with the books but apparently they left out a lot or reinterpreted things that should have been kept with the original. The movie kind of dragged in parts. There should have been more information on the 60 minute war. Overall there needed to be more depth to the story. The sets where great. Acting was very well done.
January 10, 2019
La idea se veía genial y visualmente lo es, pero la película tiene tantos huecos argumentales e ideas absurdas que da hasta risa xD