Moscow On The Hudson Reviews

• Jul 13, 2020

For me the only thing that worked was Williams.

For me the only thing that worked was Williams.

• Jan 03, 2020

I love robin williams, he adapts to the role of vladimir ivanoff so well! No doubt about it, robin williams is the best actor ever! the film is realistic and brilliant. ive watched it 16 times through now (i think) and it will always be my favourite film of all time( all the other favourites after this are the works of williams too!). moscow on the hudson will make you laugh, make you cry, make you feel romantic and after watching you will have a different perspective on the world!

• Jul 13, 2019

Nice to see 1980s USA.

Nice to see 1980s USA.

• Jan 31, 2019

One of the most overlooked hidden gems out there, in my opinion, it's dismaying to see how many people are incapable of allowing Robin Williams to be anything but the clown they want to see him as--without even realizing that it's exactly that purposefully Pagliacci aesthetic which drives much of this film. Two years after The World According to Garp and similarly concerned with observing how a central character navigates Kafka-esque circumstances without much to use for frame of reference, 'Moscow' features a much simpler story line (perhaps too much so in order to compensate for Garp's complexity, only to backfire and leave some people with the impression that it was genuinely about patriotism or Soviets) and allows Robin both a chance to slip some of his well-practiced schtick in and to give us a bona fide glimpse at the depression that accompanies the mania we'd come to know him for. It's that autobiographical component that's the real treat here for me--clumsy though it may have been, it's visceral enough to keep this film worth noting in a year that also saw the release of epics like Amadeus and Once Upon a Time in America. Robin's humanism is unparalleled, and really got to shine out later on with The Fisher King and Awakenings. Here is early proof that he was more than Mork, and I'd encourage anyone who's dismissed this film after a single viewing to give it a second look.

• Jan 13, 2019

Finally saw it on pbs tv Jan 2019. Liked it. A little schmaltsy in parts. But good. & pro American.

• Sep 29, 2018

Williams is great,You can tell he did a great deal of research for this role,but the whole movie good and very real.

• Sep 27, 2018

I really wish this, and not Good Morning, Vietnam, was the film that sent Robin Williams into being a full-fledged movie star (it wasnt till then he got to totally move on from Mork); this is a major performance full of the entire human experience, which is helped by a screenplay that is not too sentimental but at the same time has a giant, *liberal* (in the best sense of the word) heart and sense of what this country is and means to everyone who comes to it. It's not even made entirely for immigrants and asylum seekers, I dont think, but for us, Americans - it's amusing to be that Columbia pictures, then owned by Coca-Cola, put this out - who take for granted what potential or in actuality there is to offer. And seeing it now given what is going on with asylum seekers and people seeking America as home... Well, that's for another much longer post. That it's also set in the grimy NYC of the 80s makes the freedom that much of a richer and complex experience to see, especially as we are looking through Vladimir's eyes. I's not a safe freedom, or one that doesn't come with an emotional price, but it is what it is. In that sense Mazursky hasnt made a soft picture, that is one that ever really lies to the audience about what is here in this gigantic ball of Capitalism and shoes made in Italy and Big Macs and sax solos with jazz legends and so on. But if you do want to give the film a hug by the end, it's not unearned. This is that wonderful kind of movie that resists what most screenplay teachers force down ths thoats of those looking to write, that there has to be a clear antagonist or obstacles we can clearly see. Here, while it does help that Williams is batting 1000 with every scene, his conflict is mostly interior (and sometimes it comes out and makes it with others like the Italian immigrant who wants to become a sportscaster). This is how you challenge conventions while at the same time are a crowd-pleasing dramedy (really more of a drama with a few real LOL bits).

• Nov 29, 2017

Ok robin williams movie.

Ok robin williams movie.

• Nov 13, 2017

This was the first movie that Robin truly shines in. Paul Mazursky knew just how to show both Moscow and NYC at this time (I was in NYC then!) and the struggle immigrants had at the time. This movie showed the ugly truth and the beautiful way people made it through. It is one of my top 5 Robin Williams movies and watch it when I need to both laugh and cry. I showed it to my 18 year old son and he saw what he learned about in school was not quite how it was in real life. He loved this movie. I think it will always be one of the movies that should be watched to show Robin's wonderful talent. A talent that will be watched and loved for generations.

• Sep 04, 2016

First half is very good; the rest is trite.

First half is very good; the rest is trite.