Mr. Jones Reviews

• Dec 02, 2015

another rom-dram about mental illness

another rom-dram about mental illness

• Jul 15, 2015

Elokuva kaksisuuntaista mielialahäiriötä sairastavasta potilaasta (Richard Gere) ja hänen lääkäristään. Odotukset olivat korkealla, mutta leffa olikin tyypillistä jenkkihapatusta...

• Apr 21, 2014

Rather unusual,poignant drama about an emotionally disturbed man. Good performances by Lena Olin and Richard Gere.

• Aug 06, 2013

Directed by Mike Figgis (Stormy Monday (1988), Internal Affairs (1990) and Leaving Las Vegas (1995)), this is a touching but mawkish romantic drama, written by Eric Roth (Forrest Gump (1994) and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)). This came about after it's star and director looked to work together again after Internal Affairs, and they really did their homework for this film, but meticulous research doesn't always a good movie make. Mr. Jones (Richard Gere) is a mysterious man, who turns up to do construction work for a house, and then ends up on the roof of the house, standing on the edge, wanting to fly, he's talked down by co-worker Howard (Delroy Lindo), he's assigned to psychiatrist Dr. Elizabeth Bowen (Lena Olin), who investigates his case further. After another outburst, where he interrupts a classical concert, Bowen puts him into care, and Mr. Jones is diagnosed as a manic depressive with moments of suicidal tendencies. But, the more Bowen tries to help Mr. Jones overcome his condition, the more she finds herself falling in love with him, which is a big no-no in her line of work. Despite a charismatic lead role from Gere, this is quite dull and jittery, it doesn't help that Figgis had trouble in the editing room with this, but he was able to get a much shorter Directors Cut done in 2006, but it does go on forever, which is a shame, as it could have made a good film.

• May 02, 2013

I need my love theraphy my family reunited again!

I need my love theraphy my family reunited again!

• Nov 04, 2012

Does gloss over the subject matter a little in favour of borderline soap opera melodrama, but Richard Gere's central performance is excellent, and in the midst of his peaks and valleys, his hair still manages to look good haha.

• Apr 14, 2012

A 'rehash', really? I found this film to be thought-provoking and original. It almost (almost mind) stretched credibility too far with some of the storyline, and there was a scene in the woods where I think the Director thought Lena Olin had got it right first time, and I just don't agree. But Gere's portrayal of a bip-polar sufferer was utterly convincing, and as for the scene on the roof, it looked real to me - how did they do that, .

• Mar 09, 2012

"I am a Mozart, Shakespeare and Einstein.." With the same old plot of melodrama like every single ones, though this movie is full of good stuffs and people who thought they themselves are 'the ordinary' shouldn't miss at all.

• Oct 07, 2011

I had to watch this for a Nursing class, so it was an okay movie for class. The ending didn't make any sense to me. The story line was kind of interesting though.

• Martin D Super Reviewer
    Sep 23, 2011

Mr. Jones is a 1993 romantic drama film starring Richard Gere, Lena Olin, Anne Bancroft, Tom Irwin and Delroy Lindo, and directed by Mike Figgis. Mr. Jones (Gere) is a man suffering from bipolar disorder, a disease that affords him periods of intense emotional pleasure and expansiveness but which also results in periods of suicidal depression. Libbie (Olin), a doctor at a psychiatric hospital, takes an interest in his condition, and also in him. The film was released to mixed reviews; movie historian Leonard Maltin remarked that "Gere is fine, but his onscreen behavior turns this into The Jester of Tides." Indeed, Gere received praise for his performance as the troubled title character. Many critics noted that the film would've been better if the romance plot was left out, since it appeared forced and contrived.