Mudbound - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mudbound Reviews

February 5, 2019
This movie does a great job of capturing the difficulties of the post World War II world in America: the struggle to make a living as a farmer and the problems that the deeply embedded racism brought to families, black and white. Set in rural Mississippi, the story follows two families (one white and in ownership of the land) and the other black (and working the land). It shows the intersection and power balance between the families, all leading to tragic circumstances. I thought it was well done and its one of the better Netflix Originals that I've seen. Not sure it's worthy of an Oscar nom, but I don't like many Oscar noms anyway, and I liked this one much better than most of the other 2018 nominated films.
January 22, 2019
This is a realistic if somewhat brutal look at the old south race relations of the 1940s. Well acted characters with the exception of Mary J. Blige who added little in terms of dialog or character to this movie. She seems extremely out of place with her designer dark sunglasses in what is supposed to be the rural South. She adds so little that he character is completely forgettable even though it should have a memorable central character to the story. All other cast member were excellent. Do not expect any joy here. The movie is often dismal to the point of being depressing. I was not alive during that period and based on this movie I am very thankful for that.
January 7, 2019
Ok. I can only watch this movie in 30 minute segments, it is that powerful and painful to me. Luckily, it's on Netflix and I can do that. At the same time, it is beautiful to look at and the acting is excellent. And the topic is as timely now as ever. Cruel, thoughtless behavior by priviledged folk. Towards women, towards people of color, towards children.
December 28, 2018
Visually striking , this movie is so gentle in telling you that it´┐ 1/2(TM)s a great movie and the thing is , this movie is a great movie ! From start to finish you feel connected to the story and the characters expose their indivisible personalities as the movie progress .....gentle slow and raw character evolution in a well stitched and paced story.
December 18, 2018
Where did this come from
November 22, 2018
Difficult to watch at times, but ultimately uplifting. It is handled by Director Rees with subtlety. Watch it at home. Watch it on t.v's and cellphones. Watch it in high school history class then have the students talk about it. I'm betting they won't hold back.
November 9, 2018
A piece of historical thus brutal reminder that will resonate for long.
November 3, 2018
A moving and disturbing period drama that is a bit too long for its own good.
October 24, 2018
Never have I been more satisfied to see a movie, liked it, yet less motivated to write or talk about it than 'Mudbound'. Over a year went by until I dialed up Netflix and got to watching with my wife. It was like the old Pringles tag line.... Hard to stop watching this even on a streaming service. The problem is it's really tough to follow but the music and the acting is so good that if you stay engaged (you may have to rewind a few times) you will be richly rewarded. It's a hard watch, but it's one that tells a really good tale of the not so distant past of life in America in the 1940s in the rural south. Final Score: 8.2/10
½ October 1, 2018
Incredible storytelling, perhaps even better acting.
September 21, 2018
What must be commended as truly an ambitious affecting story set inside the deep south--the Mississippi delta--after the war. those war heroes one white and one black who return home. the dichotomy of the two men and the challenges they faced as veterans deeply affected by losses in battle overseas. They assimilate into battles at home with deep seeded racism in the southern rim where colored families struggle to keep the faith and their hearts and souls and families-- together surviving the horrors of "klansmen mentality and backwardness of the deep south." the acting is as good as you will find in any film you will ever see. Rob morgan is sensational and carry mulligan will pull you in with a truly stark portrayal of her baring the soul. the surprise packages are the returning war vets bonding performance's which came off as full and spirited scene stealing gems' ....garret hedlund -- wins best supporting actor in this film and mary j blige loses herself completely with a very subtle and crafted performance which must be seen to be appreciated. its an extraordinary ensemble ....well realized.... and worth your time.
August 18, 2018
Good movie. Shows the reality of American racism. Dark, depressing. But so is the history of race relations
July 5, 2018
Amazing movie!!!! A must watch!!!
June 29, 2018
An almost great film, you can see why it didn't get more oscar love. No idea why Mary Blige got an oscar non. She wasn't bad but wasn't memorable at all.
June 13, 2018
Mudbound is a powerfully strong film about race relations and human weaknesses. Set in and around World War Two it deals with two families, one white and one black, in rural Mississippi. It's superbly acted with a strong strain of pathos and understanding running through it. Characters are forced to deal with not only the harsh realities of life on the land but also the dark forces of racism. For two characters we also see the effects of coming back to society after enduring war. It is also wonderfully shot, it was nominated for an Oscar for cinematography. If you wish to see a powerful film dealing with important issues then Mudbound is your film.
½ June 2, 2018
Mud has never looked so marvelous.
½ May 31, 2018
An original concept, held together with very solid acting throughout. Mudbound delivers an interesting look at rural US culture during the late 1940's. A must see.
May 26, 2018
Great movie. Now, must order the book. Right up there with the Homesman.
May 25, 2018
Some of the most exceptional acting I've seen in years. Beautiful storyline, and absolutely gut wrenching. Incredible film but get ready to feel sick afterwards
½ May 21, 2018
7/10.
This is a haunting film that exposes a depressing moment in American history when slavery was in many ways perpetuated long after it was over.