Mudbound - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mudbound Reviews

August 18, 2018
Good movie. Shows the reality of American racism. Dark, depressing. But so is the history of race relations
July 5, 2018
Amazing movie!!!! A must watch!!!
June 29, 2018
An almost great film, you can see why it didn't get more oscar love. No idea why Mary Blige got an oscar non. She wasn't bad but wasn't memorable at all.
June 13, 2018
Mudbound is a powerfully strong film about race relations and human weaknesses. Set in and around World War Two it deals with two families, one white and one black, in rural Mississippi. It's superbly acted with a strong strain of pathos and understanding running through it. Characters are forced to deal with not only the harsh realities of life on the land but also the dark forces of racism. For two characters we also see the effects of coming back to society after enduring war. It is also wonderfully shot, it was nominated for an Oscar for cinematography. If you wish to see a powerful film dealing with important issues then Mudbound is your film.
½ June 2, 2018
Mud has never looked so marvelous.
½ May 31, 2018
An original concept, held together with very solid acting throughout. Mudbound delivers an interesting look at rural US culture during the late 1940's. A must see.
May 26, 2018
Great movie. Now, must order the book. Right up there with the Homesman.
May 25, 2018
Some of the most exceptional acting I've seen in years. Beautiful storyline, and absolutely gut wrenching. Incredible film but get ready to feel sick afterwards
½ May 21, 2018
7/10.
This is a haunting film that exposes a depressing moment in American history when slavery was in many ways perpetuated long after it was over.
½ May 19, 2018
One of those "must see" movies!
May 15, 2018
Crudo relato sobre el racismo.
April 25, 2018
Honestly I never found any of the characters or their stories to be that interesting besides the two sons who fought in WWII.
April 25, 2018
The whole movie is about good wholesome black people against bad Southern white people. Completely predictable. Very racist in its own way.
½ April 15, 2018
Mudbound is a powerful representation of the south before the civil rights era. An absolute must-see for its cinematography, acting, and direction in telling this harrowing tale of social inequity in a dark period of America's history.
½ April 3, 2018
It was a solid drama about war and racism, things I despise the most. It was a bit long but full of excitement and made me wonder all through the movie. Good cast too.
½ April 1, 2018
Mudbound is a well acted, well written and and amazing story of a time period in American history and the struggles during that time. Mudbound shows a story of war, racism, life and death, poverty and love and loss that is incredibly sad but very powerful. The amazing cinematography from Rachel Morrison who's the first woman to be nominated an Oscar for best cinematography and the music both add to the film being good too. Dee Rees lets us clearly see the struggles african americans went through during the time of WWII and how better they were treated in Europe then in their own country. It gives a powerful message to everyone and is definitely something audiences could learn a lot from.
½ April 1, 2018
On Netflix and really a film everyone should see at least once.
½ March 28, 2018
This is the kind of movie that the Oscars love to recognize, and it's a pretty sure bet that the only reason it wasn't nominated for Best Picture is because Netflix bought the distribution rights. When that happened, the film was instantly reduced to the status of a TV MOVIE, and in the eyes of Hollywood, there is no greater shame. But it is definitely a higher caliber film than many of the 2017 Best Picture nominees. It boasts a powerful story, outstanding performances, beautiful cinematography, and timely subject matter. It tells the story of two families - one white, one black - who are working the same plot of land in the Mississippi Delta post-WWII. And while they both struggle, their experiences are drastically different. The film shows with absolutely clarity how slavery did not end when the 13th amendment was passed. This story takes place 80 years after that, and the only thing that had changed was the name - instead of calling them "slaves", they were now "tenant farmers". And it's clear who the masters are (Spoiler Alert! It isn't the black family). This movie is heavy and serious and hard to watch, but you can't deny its power. The performances are great all around (while Mary J Blige's performance was perfectly fine, it wasn't nearly remarkable enough to justify her Oscar nomination). The standouts are Garrett Hedlund and Jason Mitchell, who play two young men from each family who form an unlikely friendship. Their relationship feels so pure and genuine, it breaks your heart when things inevitably go bad for them. My biggest complaint about the film is its over-reliance on voice-over narration, which is this sort of a surreal, stream-of-consciousness internal monologue. It's supposed to make you feel like you're in the characters' heads, but it was a little off-putting for me - it made me feel like I was watching a 2-hour 'Obsession' commercial. Other than that, it's a great movie that should get more recognition, not only for its diversity (female director, co-writers, and cinematographer), but based on its own merits as a film.
½ March 22, 2018
I look at the the 96% tomatometer, and I feel like I should like this film more than I did. The acting was great, and it was a good portrait of the stupid southern United States after WWII. I was interested in the characters, but I was bored for most of the movie. The last half hour is quality, it's also disgusting, and it had a good ending. But, if I'm being honest about the whole movie, it was too boring to ever watch again. It was only 2 hours and 15 minutes, but it felt like 3+ hours.
½ March 19, 2018
An emotionally deep movie. A bit slow in parts but worth it for the ending.