Muppet Treasure Island - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Muppet Treasure Island Reviews

June 9, 2016
The fifth addition to the Muppets' filmography falls just short of all of its predecessors.
April 30, 2016
A very, very fun entertaining Muppet movie with Tim Curry as Long John Silver. That, for a Muppet movie, is genius casting. I highly recommend checking this out.
October 31, 2007
I love the Muppets and always will, but I struggled through this.
August 2, 2013
Muppet Treasure Island is a zany and absolutely hilarious spoof of the classic novel with a great soundtrack.
½ September 12, 2015
I suppose this is as solid as most other Muppet movies, it was actually the slightly annoying human cast that let it down.
September 6, 2015
An extremely fun Muppets movie that has all of your favorite muppets as characters from the classic book, which is a great idea. It worked with the Christmas Carol and now it works hear. The music is good, the human cast is good, and the film has an all around great sense of adventure. It's a must see for fans of the muppets and of great family adventure films.
½ June 27, 2015
A good pirate-themed Muppet feature with a decent story, good music, and a fun adventure with the gang.
½ June 10, 2015
The ever funny Jim Henson characters in an amusing screenplay of Robert L.Stevenson classic tale.Piece of eight
July 26, 2012
The pirate tale has some clever lines as this is an ordinary Muppets family film with same levels, especially the humorous comic. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
December 5, 2014
Another re-telling of a classic tale through Muppet-vision: lots of jokes & gags, song & dance, and my favourite--the 4th wall break ("He's dead?! This is supposed to be a kids movie!"). The Gonzo & Rizzo team is always fun, and Tim Curry is excellent, of course. I also thoroughly enjoyed the vacationing rats using the ship for a pleasure cruise!
½ October 16, 2014
not the best some funny parts
September 27, 2014
Following the successful MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL, Brian Henson directed another literary adaptation with the Muppets, this time Robert Louis Stevenson's TREASURE ISLAND. The marriage between the two isn't quite as smooth as in the former film, though, mainly because Dickens' tale, in a way, had a "spiritual" connection to the Muppets' humor. In that case, the blend was well suited. Here the results seem at odds, because Stevenson's tale is rather gritty and doesn't really call for humor. As such, MUPPET TREASURE ISLAND can feel somewhat schizophrenic at times, featuring surprisingly dark bits (a character dies at the beginning) at one moment, and sidesplitting humor the next (the "Cabin Fever" sequence, arguably the funniest scene in the picture.) That said, this film still offers a lot of entertainment value: the songs, as usual, are excellent and well-suited to the fabric of the story, and Tim Curry is delightfully devious as the villainous Long John Silver. He tears into the role with zest and villainy, and the chemistry between him and young Kevin Bishop as Jim Hawkins is great. The Muppets seem more like side-characters here, however, since the narrative arc focuses mostly on the Jim-Silver conflict. (One could say the same about MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL, too, but again, that's only because the match was ideal.) Still, it's fun to watch Kermit as a ship's captain having a sword fight with Curry at the film's climax, and as usual, Gonzo and Rizzo are a riot. Despite the sometimes jarring mixture of the material with the silly humor and uneven tone shifts, MUPPET TREASURE ISLAND is nonetheless great fun.
September 2, 2014
The muppets are back again!!! Love em! I think pirates of the carrabbean copied this movie because same music at the beginning of the movie. Fozzy first then beaker and other guy that's green. Why is Kermit at the ship part, his always a the beginning of the movie!! Miss piggy had perfect timing. He's back from the dead blue bird
½ August 30, 2014
Ridiculous? Yes. Fun? Also yes.
August 29, 2014
Great movie, great songs (even if one or two are filler), great acting, great comedy, and yes, there are a few boring bits, but watch it a second time and you'll probably gloss over them because you'll know how much good stuff is right around the corner.
A must-see for any Muppet fan and a must-see for anyone who calls themselves a Tim Curry fan. Meaning everyone.
August 27, 2014
The best Muppet movie ever
August 22, 2014
I smell a bozo.

Kermit and his friends are treasure hunting freedom fighters that thwart off countless attacks from pirates. Can Kermit and his friends find the treasure and keep it from the pirates or will a new super pirate emerge that Kermit and his friends can't stop?

"I hate my life."
"I hate your life. If I had a life, I'd hate my life too if I had one."

Brian Henson, director The Muppet Christmas Carol, Jack and the Beanstalk: The Real Story, and episodes of Sid the Science Kid and Nightmares & Dreamscapes, delivers Muppet Treasure Island. The storyline for this picture was just okay and not overly interesting. The acting was as you'd expect for the genre and the cast included Tim Curry, Billy Connolly, and Frank Oz.

"Aren't you supposed to be fighting against us?"
"Are you kidding? I love you guys!"

I watched this with my daughter about a week ago off Netflix. We didn't enjoy this as much as Muppets: The Movie, but it was still fun to watch unfold. Overall, this is worth a viewing but nothing special.

"The one legged man brings death."

Grade: C+/B-
½ February 14, 2010
(First viewing - Childhood)
½ August 15, 2014
I like the songs and most of the characters but it's lost its charm from Jim. But still it's worth seeing once.
August 5, 2014
A pretty fun spoof of pirate movies. You know it would have had Jack Sparrow jokes if it was made ten years later. While in typical Muppet fashion its often pretty funny but is one of the weaker Muppet flicks because it feels like it has too much Treasure Island and not enough Muppets