Museum Hours - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Museum Hours Reviews

July 14, 2016
"Museum Hours" moves slowly but the intervals between the narrations give us time to fully digest and understand what we experienced before the next phase is presented. There is also the comparison of the past event to the immediate moment and the realization that some things are beyond human comprehension.
The film shows that so much escapes our notice. It also shows how different are our individual viewpoints.
It is a walking through way of experiencing art through living it.
March 17, 2016
One of the most peaceful films I've ever seen. A chance human connection casts beauty and warmth over a nameless man's simple life in a seemingly prosaic town.
November 26, 2015
A weirdly fascinating blend of poetry and documentary, Museum Hours had me captivated for most of its running time. Somehow, with its mix of art education, tourism, and focus on human psychology, I was stimulated by seemingly banal visual montages of everyday, modern European city life. I loved the analysis of the Dutch painter Pieter Bruegel and how his "genre painting" of peasant life in the 16th century informed the look at modern 21st century life through the eyes of the museum guard and his verbal diary. This is definitely a piece of filmmaking to be studied, enjoyed, and revisited periodically with new eyes to see what new details can be gleamed from it.
November 12, 2015
This is a quiet movie meditating on friendship, art and reality, and the under-fabric of living. Nothing really happened, and there is no strong emotion nor expression. If this film tells no story, it gives us a rumination of human consciousness both lives in the individual's present time (Anne and Johann) and the life in the collective's past (museum's art pieces) and present (Vienna's street and people).
½ October 4, 2014
What else is Art but everything drenched in varying shades of subtlety?
September 1, 2014
An unexpected meditative gem, I feel like I just spent an hour in the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna.
½ August 16, 2014
Blurs the boundary between physical art and cinema in a way that very few films accomplish successfully. A mesmerizing and subtle love story.
½ August 11, 2014
The dullest movie ever. Is this art, dark, unlit, never ending scenes, disjointed scenes which have no plot, old naked people sitting in th museum for no reason? Art, hell no. Vienna is shown as a dismal city, foggy dull and undesirable. This is a live colorful world capitol city. Please don't wast you time and money to see this abysmal, unprofessional film
July 29, 2014
There was not enough of a plot to keep me interested.
½ July 3, 2014
Museum Hours is a masterfully filmed discourse on contemporary and historic human life. Seen through the simple, immediate eyes of the protagonists, great artwork, discussions about it and the ordinary mundane activity of life and death, collide to remind us of our shared humanity. Then underneath all of this we see the artist's eye looking and seeing art everywhere: What it picks out in a world of detritus and makes rare. How it levels us and makes us profound.
June 12, 2014
It is fascinating to watch two gentle souls interract. I found this very soothing and watch and also educational in many ways
June 4, 2014
watching this French movie
½ June 3, 2014
This film moves slowly but is beautiful as it juxtaposes art from Vienna's Kunsthistorisches Art Museum with a story of connection, friendship and life.
May 4, 2014
Best movie I've seen since the one about the guy who invented the craft of slicing bread. Which, we of course are so very grateful for. Those slices keep the Nation's "cold" cuts warm between 2 blankets of grainy goodness.
P.S. - See the movie.
P.S.S - Eat lots of fiber.
night- S
April 16, 2014
Jem makes a GEM. Jem Cohen made this masterpiece of an art film. It is wonderful, beautiful, artistic, sublime. CDW
½ April 10, 2014
"It has its tedium, but it's not bad. At times, it's actually quite good."
February 16, 2014
Rodd and I give it 4. Ethan gave it a 1. If he could have counted subtitles as reading pages for homework, he'd have rated it a 2.
February 2, 2014
The film is itself a grand, gentle work of art.
½ February 1, 2014
Very slow and calm, but candid and enjoyable. Loved the vignettes of the paintings and the many unseen angles of Vienna.
½ January 25, 2014
A Canadian woman goes to Vienna to visit her comatose cousin. While there, she visits the museum and strikes up a friendship with one of the guards. I'm actually surprised by how much I loved this film. In a way, it's almost like a travelogue (The film REALLY made me wanna visit Vienna) but it's far more complex than its simple premise suggests. I feel hesitant to recommend this to anyone who does not have any interest in the visual arts. But those that do will get a really immersive thought-provoking, yet oddly moving slice of life that juxtaposes the paintings in the museum. An excellent piece of work.