Museum Hours Reviews

• Feb 16, 2018

The kind of pretentious bore that critics love to tout to each other. A potentially poignant story of a woman saying goodbye to her critically ill cousin is submerged in a plotless mess of half-bright platitudes interspersed with shots of a chilly winter Vienna that made me want to take a plane to the French Riviera. Even the shots of the museum's artwork are marred by second-rate cinematograpy. A must-miss.

• Jul 14, 2016

"Museum Hours" moves slowly but the intervals between the narrations give us time to fully digest and understand what we experienced before the next phase is presented. There is also the comparison of the past event to the immediate moment and the realization that some things are beyond human comprehension. The film shows that so much escapes our notice. It also shows how different are our individual viewpoints. It is a walking through way of experiencing art through living it.

• Mar 17, 2016

One of the most peaceful films I've ever seen. A chance human connection casts beauty and warmth over a nameless man's simple life in a seemingly prosaic town.

• Nov 26, 2015

A weirdly fascinating blend of poetry and documentary, Museum Hours had me captivated for most of its running time. Somehow, with its mix of art education, tourism, and focus on human psychology, I was stimulated by seemingly banal visual montages of everyday, modern European city life. I loved the analysis of the Dutch painter Pieter Bruegel and how his "genre painting" of peasant life in the 16th century informed the look at modern 21st century life through the eyes of the museum guard and his verbal diary. This is definitely a piece of filmmaking to be studied, enjoyed, and revisited periodically with new eyes to see what new details can be gleamed from it.

• Nov 12, 2015

This is a quiet movie meditating on friendship, art and reality, and the under-fabric of living. Nothing really happened, and there is no strong emotion nor expression. If this film tells no story, it gives us a rumination of human consciousness both lives in the individual's present time (Anne and Johann) and the life in the collective's past (museum's art pieces) and present (Vienna's street and people).

• Oct 03, 2014

What else is Art but everything drenched in varying shades of subtlety?

What else is Art but everything drenched in varying shades of subtlety?

• Sep 01, 2014

An unexpected meditative gem, I feel like I just spent an hour in the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna.

• Aug 16, 2014

Blurs the boundary between physical art and cinema in a way that very few films accomplish successfully. A mesmerizing and subtle love story.

• Aug 11, 2014

The dullest movie ever. Is this art, dark, unlit, never ending scenes, disjointed scenes which have no plot, old naked people sitting in th museum for no reason? Art, hell no. Vienna is shown as a dismal city, foggy dull and undesirable. This is a live colorful world capitol city. Please don't wast you time and money to see this abysmal, unprofessional film

• Jul 29, 2014

There was not enough of a plot to keep me interested.

There was not enough of a plot to keep me interested.