My Own Private Idaho - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

M-F

8.2

[Gus Van Sant]
February 24, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
½ February 18, 2018
One of the best gay-themed movies out there. It's clever, it's dark, it's poetic and emotional. River Phoenix in one of his last roles, portraying a young hustler looking for his father, life and love. The campfire scene is one of the best scenes ever filmed. You can watch the documentary on how Gus van Zant spend several days to get that scene right. If you're a Shakespeare fan you should definitely watch this movie. The way van Zant weaves in the story of Henry IV is compelling and original and it contributes to the whole ambiance of this hunger-for-love story on the road. Cinematography is raw and from time to time intriguing, beautiful landscapes mixed with scenes of struggling young boys living on the edge. No other gay-themed movie has dared to portray a love story in a way which is original and daring. A must see. @Korben_Dallas on Twitter
½ January 23, 2018
A masterpiece. The experimentation and mesmerizing charisma of Phoenix are unforgettable. The only drawbacks are the regrettable Shakespeare intrusion, and the wooden acting of Reeves. Outstanding soundtrack.
½ December 26, 2017
Not for everyone but an interesting coming of age drama.
River Phoenix's considerable talent is on show.
October 27, 2017
Somewhat off kilter, Phoenix knocks this one out the park. He's unrecognisable in this character and therefore he's a fit for the film and the character.
September 1, 2017
Not even River and Keanu could save this one. If you want to watch a very boring movie about two gay guys..this one's for you.
½ July 13, 2017
River Phoenix and Keanu Reeves are both great and there are several phenomenal scenes in the film but My Own Personal Idaho felt very uneven and unguided most of the time.
½ May 4, 2017
Gus Van Sant's own private movie. The rest of us don't really get it. It is truly one of the more pretentious films I've seen with almost no entertainment value other than some good acting from River Phoenix. (First and only viewing - 9/1/2016)
April 16, 2017
Theatrical nonsense, couldn't watch it all.
½ October 14, 2016
The movie wasn't as good as I thought it would be. It wasn't very emotional, it didn't have too much substance to it, it didn't pull me in. But, the performances from Reeves and Phoenix were top notch
½ September 8, 2016
Gus Van Sant, a master of art-house, creates an effectively heart-breaking drama set against a Shakespeare template.
½ August 21, 2016
Worst Movie Everrrrrrr
July 29, 2016
Liked this film. Good acting.
July 27, 2016
Poor River, what might have been...
½ June 12, 2016
A film about characters, that for some moments seems to be a documental.
A bit controversial too.
½ May 31, 2016
Gus Van Sant's celebrated opus seethes with dreamy, pensive and luscious homoeroticism with Keanu Reeves and the late River Phoenix playing a pair of drifting gay hustlers sharing an existential crisis on a motorcycle road trip.
½ April 11, 2016
From the beginning, up till it's last moment the movie is brilliant. The two main actors: River Phoenix, and Keanu Reeves had an excellent performance. I found the movie heavy to watch, still i am glad i endured it to the end. Phoenix and Reeves, both assume the roll of rent boys. Not only the acting, and story itself were great ... but also the ambient sound of the movie excelled. Most of the story is spent in Portland, yet for a short while you are taken to Italy. There you'll be faced with incredible views, adorable sheep, and amazing sound.The end of the movie leaves you all the space you may need, to think about what you just watched.
February 15, 2016