My Super Ex-Girlfriend Reviews

• Jul 18, 2019

Truly awful: a super-heroine with a personality disorder, just smashing stuff because she's a bit upset. The only saving grace as I saw it on TV and didn't waste any money on it.

• Feb 10, 2019

underrated flick, in my opinion! good laughs!

underrated flick, in my opinion! good laughs!

• Nov 03, 2018

pretty funny and stupidly fun. definitely has some dumb moments and may not be a well-made movie overall, but i had a good time with it. i would consider watching it again if i was bored (1 viewing)

• Oct 01, 2017

Not really much of a comedy with only one or two jokes being funny and full of superhero cliches, my super ex girlfriend isn't really the best thing to watch on your free time.

• Sep 07, 2017

Mildly amusing but not a good movie. The only good thing about this movie was Luke Wilson. I'm not sure what let this movie down, but maybe it was a bit of everything: the acting, the special effects, the plot. it just didn't work for me.

• Aug 15, 2017

Superheroes are practically everywhere these days. No matter where one looks, an image of a hero is plastered, and we look up to them. Mostly due to the fact that they represent a common goal: helping the world in times of crisis. And it would be very lucky to have a normal person date a superhero, right? Well, the 2006 comedy "My Super Ex-Girlfriend" tries this idea out. Keep in mind, the key word here being "try". Why is this, you may ask? Because the execution of this idea handled in this movie is horrendous. Granted, this isn't the absolute worst superhero movie out there, but it is pretty bad by bringing forth the concept of superheroes in a relationship. "My Super Ex-Girlfriend"just doesn't hold the superheroic edge that it doesn't promise to maintain. The story involves a woman named Jenny (Uma Thurman), who has a secret identity being the heroine known as G-Girl. (Yeah, creative name there, guys.) One day, a man named Matt (Luke Wilson) helps Jenny out after her purse was stolen, and the two form a relationship. Jenny even tells Matt her true nature, to which he has to keep a secret from the world. Everything is going fine, until Matt reveals that Jenny is a little too clingy, and wants to break up. She, on the other hand, does not take this very well... "My Super Ex-Girlfriend" is not just a bad superhero movie, it's a bad comedy as well. The story has nice premise and setup, but the execution is terrible. And despite good intentions, there are hardly any jokes that make this comedy work. Pretty much everything in this movie is either bland, predictable, or just unfunny. And the humor presented here is juvenile and almost immature; makes one wonder who the audience for this movie was for. The acting is bad as each actor and actress pretty much give a bland performance. Thurman and Wilson do not have chemistry together, as they feel uninterested with what's going on. It just feels as if the cast had potential, but was ultimately wasted. This, in turn, can be attributed to the direction from Ivan Reitman, as he makes the movie feel unfocused and disjointed as he moves from one scene to next without giving the audience some sort of investment. This also can be attributed to both the pacing and editing making the film go fast, and not know what exactly is going on. The music by Teddy Castellucci offers up a more whimsical and uplifting score rather than that of your traditional action orchestration. The special effects look like something out of a video game, especially the shark sequence in the middle of the film. Yes, there are practical effects, but even those are pretty obvious, too. If there's anything good to say about the movie, it's the cinematography of New York City, which definitely looks nice. And that's about it. In conclusion, "My Super Ex-Girlfriend" is just a bad film that only the curious would see. As a comedy, it fails, and as a superhero movie, it fails, too. Maybe this is one hero we can forget.

• Jul 24, 2017

Not funny. Slightly embarrassing. Strange film where I'm left unsure if the concept was good but poorly performed, or if the performances were fine but the concept utterly stupid. Either way, you're left only slightly amused at best, or at worst, slightly irritated.

• Jun 16, 2017

Meh. The plot is decent but the film is just so silly. Not helped by fairly poor acting and awful special effects

• Mar 25, 2017