Mystery Street Reviews

• Clintus M Super Reviewer
    Sep 09, 2018

MGM low-budget film noir Mystery Street is years ahead of its time and will be an unexpected delight to fans of TV shows like the CSI franchise and especially, "Bones." It's a procedural whodunit shot on location in Boston starring Ricardo Montalban as a police lieutenant who enlists the help of Harvard medical scientists to identify a body and solve the crime. The wrongly-accused- man theme will interest any film noir fan. Other reviewers highlight Elsa Lancaster, famous as the Bride of Frankenstein, who hilariously steals every scene she's in. However I'm more interested in the youthful Montalban, and for other viewers who know him as Mr. Roark from TV's Fantasy Island or Khan from star Trek II, this film is a surprising treat. Considering his ethnicity, Montalban's character is ahead of its time also. I don't consider this a negative criticism per se, however this film is not a "film noir," as advertised. It's a crime drama but not noir-ish at all. That being said, check out this engaging whodunit.

• Feb 19, 2018

Engage and enjoyable flick, with a film noir feel, about the early use of forensics in police work. Kind of like a Columbo episode in you know early on who the culprit is but the suspense is how the police connect the dots. Motalban gives a better than average performance, as do most of the rest of the cast, especially Lanchester. Has snappy dialogue and good take on what is suppose to be Boston. Worth catching.

• Nov 24, 2017

Do we rate old movies by how good they are today, or how good they were when they were released? I'll go with the first. Back in the day, I feel like this would've been a big hit with a lot of people, even though mostly crime/mystery buffs. Still, a nice little movie.

• Jan 11, 2016

Solid police procedural (shot with noir lighting by John Alton) starring Ricardo Montalban as a Cape Cod detective who needs the help of a forensic scientist from Harvard when a skeleton turns up on the beach. Of course, we already know who the victim is (a local "B" girl) - and some of her scuzzy wrongdoings that have ensnared Marshall Thompson (as the typical noir fall guy plucked by the fickle finger of fate). Playing like a long lost episode of C. S. I., the film relies heavily on the forensic evidence (hair, bones, bullet fragments) as well as a bit of legwork and luck. Elsa Lanchester has a good turn as a shifty rooming house owner. Very nicely paced throughout and worth a look for mystery aficionados.

• Jun 12, 2015

Excellent film noir from the gifted director John Sturges ( The Great Escape, Bad Day at Black Rock, The Magnificent Seven) and staring the young Ricardo Montalban (Fantasy Island) in an atypical dramatic role. Also costarring Elsa Lanchester as the boarding house owner with questionable values. Set in a time long before CSI, a police detective decides to enlist a Harvard professor to solve a murder mystery. I found this to be a surprising pearl of a move that I enjoyed.

• Feb 17, 2015

....... Rocardo Montalban stars as the police detective investigating the murder of a dancer who picks up a drunk customer, steals his car and ultimately winds up murdered in this excellent example of criminal forensics and police procedural drama.

• Feb 06, 2015

A good film noir movie one of the first movies filmed in Boston and Cape Cod and the movie had a c.s.I. Concept 40 years before C.S.I.

• Dec 23, 2014

Always wonderul to see young Montalban, though I'd have never believed that he made a film with the excellent Lanchester. Interesting to see early forensic sleuthing in a movie - especially with a respectable & intelligent Latino lead. Overall, a decent flick, & nearly a film-noir at that.

• Apr 17, 2014

Not really a film noir but this is a great forensic investigation drama featuring a nicely understated performance by Ricardo Montalban as the detective in charge of the case and a delightful Elsa Lanchester as the neurotic boarding house owner.

• Apr 07, 2014

Interesting early forensic murder investigation; however being one of the first it's the cliche of everything that's copied it since.