Napoleon Dynamite - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Napoleon Dynamite Reviews

April 26, 2017
I think this film is a classic. I love when he dances at the end
April 6, 2017
Funny movie. Strange humor, but kept me watching the entire time.
March 28, 2017
Great movie it is my number one on my top ten list of my favorite movies
½ March 8, 2017
This movie is a genius combination of quirky and funny. It perfectly embodies growing up as a teen in a small rural town. There are many strange characters and unforgettable, hilarious scenes. Three outcast high schoolers band together, and create a relatable and enjoyable story. Napoleon Dynamite has us laughing along with the characters as we watch. It's an enjoyable movie without any dull scenes, and it gets funnier each time you watch it.
½ March 1, 2017
I'm not sure if the movie itself was funny, but it was sure funny to joke about it afterwards
February 23, 2017
This movie is a comedy that people of all ages can enjoy, with the jokes and stupid things in this movie it could make anyone laugh. In the movie Napoleon is living at his grandma's house with his 32 year old brother and his Uncle Rico to come take care of them. Napoleon is just trying to make it through his high school year without getting bullied. Eventually Napoleon meets his best friend Pedro who moved from Mexico. Napoleon helps Pedro run for class president, against the most popular girl in the school. This movie can motivate people like Napoleon, to become successful from even being one of the most unpopular people at the school. Napoleon's Uncle is a jock who is always trying to show off how far he can throw a football. Napoleon likes to say words like nerd, retard, fricken, and idiot, and some people may not approve of this kind of humor. But this movie also has some good messages in it and can brighten your day with a good laugh. If you're looking for a good comedy then go and watch Napoleon Dynamite.
½ February 17, 2017
one of a kind oddball comedy.
Jon Heder does a wonderful job here but thankfully everyone understands by now that's all he can do. he's a terrible actor.
February 13, 2017
In this movie I thought it was just ok for me . All be honest. I don't just the people and some of the rude comments this movie doesn't do it for me for some reason.
January 29, 2017
I've seen this movie ever since I was in, like, fifth grade. I've gone back many times to re-watch it. I will periodically continue to do so.
January 8, 2017
One of the best movies ever!!! You are stupid if you don't like it
December 24, 2016
super funny and one of the best comedy movie of all times
December 11, 2016
This is purely the most hilarious and outrageous movie in almost forever. The extreme under expression was perfect for the tone of the movie! I laughed until it hurt! I would watch this hundreds of times again and it will never get old!
½ December 2, 2016
This is the 2nd worst movie I've ever seen. If I was president I'd destroy every copy of this movie in order to save future generations from seeing this garbage.
½ November 21, 2016
I don't think a single character in this film as an IQ of over 20, and there's not much of a plot at all... however, ever single scene in this film is comedic gold in its own original way, causing this film to be recognized as the cult classic it is today.
½ November 20, 2016
One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Not funny. I didn't get it.
November 8, 2016
A good kind of weird, Napoleon Dynamite is comedy gold.
½ October 21, 2016
Yeah it's funny at times, but the whole film is paced like one long filler scene. There's no plot at all which takes someone like me out of it immediately, and I understand that that's what they were going for, but it just didn't work for me. I did however think that Jon Heder created a scene that will prove iconic in the future with that dance sequence.

Quirky? Yes. Tongue in cheek? Yes. Hilarious? No.
October 20, 2016
Brilliant. Just sit back and laugh at all the pretentious critics who just don't get it.
October 15, 2016
The Mostly-Explosive Napoleon Dynamite

For being the first feature film of director Jared Hess, Napoleon Dynamite exploded to amazing popularity. The movie has quotable lines that anyone could enjoy, but the unique acting approach taken in Napoleon Dynamite is a big turn-off for many people. Napoleon Dynamite has a simple story line, which allows Hess to exaggerate everyday situations through characters who are so pointedly bland it enlarges the comedy of the movie. The overblown emotions and scenarios around the characters makes the film so enjoyable for a large portion of moviegoers yet ridiculously boring for the rest. For some, watching Napoleon Dynamite in one sitting strains their attention span.

Napoleon lives his life one step away from reality. The personalities of the characters in the movie make for scenarios that wouldn't happen in real life even though they center around everyday activities. Napoleon goes through so many real experiences, like job hunting and asking a girl to a dance, that he's somewhat relatable, but he lives in this slightly off manner that creates an awkwardness in the movie. Some people enjoy how socially inept Napoleon and his friends are, but others find it just too cringe-worthy to bear.

On the plus side, Napoleon Dynamite accurately portrays how socially challenging high school can be. There are so many stereotypes around the cliques in a high school and Napoleon Dynamite does a good job of playing off of those stereotypes especially during Pedro's campaign for class president. It is the circumstances that Napoleon faces in such normal settings, like having his life flipped around by his grandma's accident, that allow him to reach out to the audience. He is a typical nerd attempting to reach out past the archetype of a bullied weird kid.

As a formatted movie Napoleon Dynamite brings in a smaller audience. Viewers today prefer easy access to short online videos that grab their attention. In small doses, individual scenes stand out more and appear more comedic. Similar to how individual clips from Monty Python and the Holy Grail gather millions of views on Youtube compared to the full length movie.

When it comes to appreciating Napoleon Dynamite there currently exists no middle ground. Audiences either love Napoleon Dynamite or they hate it, but using Youtube, Napoleon Dynamite could create a platform to gain many new followers. More will come to love Napoleon and his relatable high school years.
October 6, 2016
There are many different types of humor. In this case, awkward humor is the best humor. This movie has made some of the most famous movie quotes ever, and Napoleon Dynamite has definitely made a mark in the film industry.