Napoleon Dynamite - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Napoleon Dynamite Reviews

½ October 21, 2016
Yeah it's funny at times, but the whole film is paced like one long filler scene. There's no plot at all which takes someone like me out of it immediately, and I understand that that's what they were going for, but it just didn't work for me. I did however think that Jon Heder created a scene that will prove iconic in the future with that dance sequence.

Quirky? Yes. Tongue in cheek? Yes. Hilarious? No.
October 20, 2016
Brilliant. Just sit back and laugh at all the pretentious critics who just don't get it.
October 15, 2016
The Mostly-Explosive Napoleon Dynamite

For being the first feature film of director Jared Hess, Napoleon Dynamite exploded to amazing popularity. The movie has quotable lines that anyone could enjoy, but the unique acting approach taken in Napoleon Dynamite is a big turn-off for many people. Napoleon Dynamite has a simple story line, which allows Hess to exaggerate everyday situations through characters who are so pointedly bland it enlarges the comedy of the movie. The overblown emotions and scenarios around the characters makes the film so enjoyable for a large portion of moviegoers yet ridiculously boring for the rest. For some, watching Napoleon Dynamite in one sitting strains their attention span.

Napoleon lives his life one step away from reality. The personalities of the characters in the movie make for scenarios that wouldn't happen in real life even though they center around everyday activities. Napoleon goes through so many real experiences, like job hunting and asking a girl to a dance, that he's somewhat relatable, but he lives in this slightly off manner that creates an awkwardness in the movie. Some people enjoy how socially inept Napoleon and his friends are, but others find it just too cringe-worthy to bear.

On the plus side, Napoleon Dynamite accurately portrays how socially challenging high school can be. There are so many stereotypes around the cliques in a high school and Napoleon Dynamite does a good job of playing off of those stereotypes especially during Pedro's campaign for class president. It is the circumstances that Napoleon faces in such normal settings, like having his life flipped around by his grandma's accident, that allow him to reach out to the audience. He is a typical nerd attempting to reach out past the archetype of a bullied weird kid.

As a formatted movie Napoleon Dynamite brings in a smaller audience. Viewers today prefer easy access to short online videos that grab their attention. In small doses, individual scenes stand out more and appear more comedic. Similar to how individual clips from Monty Python and the Holy Grail gather millions of views on Youtube compared to the full length movie.

When it comes to appreciating Napoleon Dynamite there currently exists no middle ground. Audiences either love Napoleon Dynamite or they hate it, but using Youtube, Napoleon Dynamite could create a platform to gain many new followers. More will come to love Napoleon and his relatable high school years.
October 6, 2016
There are many different types of humor. In this case, awkward humor is the best humor. This movie has made some of the most famous movie quotes ever, and Napoleon Dynamite has definitely made a mark in the film industry.
½ October 3, 2016
Although it lacks any true sense of direction from director Jared Hess, Napoleon Dynamite has memorable characters and jokes that make it a very satisfying (and sometimes cringy) viewing experience.
September 29, 2016
Absolute all-time favorite movie!
½ August 27, 2016
This is just one of those cult movies where you either love it or hate it- there is no inbetween. Am I mentally insane if I can relate to this movie? Everything that Napoleon says and does makes me laugh hysterically.
August 21, 2016
A classic that does not need to rely on F-bombs or crude humor to get laughs.
½ August 11, 2016
one of those movies which is very random but yet somewhat likable its really unpredictable plot makes it engaging for adults and there are some really 80s style scenes that only really adults will laugh at but the aacting is as if the actors are bored out of their minds making it into perfect comedy for the whole family
August 8, 2016
"Your mom goes to college."

Napoleon Dynamite is the cinematic equivalent of a plate of really good Nachos. As it's opening credit's suggest, the food cooked in Napoleon Dynamite is not a cuisine of highest excellency, it's not a tour de force but it shouldn't be. Like Nachos, it's tortilla chips are pathetic, or can be pathetic at times which is the film's release of fantastic comedic moments. Pathetic is the film's number one aim, which in turn the conflict arises is petty, dumb yet oh so humorous. Your body quickly adapts to it's rolling of the eyes styled backing board of the movie as Napoleon hangs a toy from a string from the school bus window. Why does he do this? I have no idea but it sets the tone ever so well. The cheese topping this fine plate of greasy, oily fried goodness is the fantastical imagination released in it's climax, a battle of the cringes, through dance and music and humble revelations to every character's infinite frustrations. It's what makes this film special and unique. Napoleon Dynamite is a hidden hero amongst minority men, the batman of fat lard city, a poorly drawn fantasy. A Liger in it's central crest...

½ August 2, 2016
Even funnier than I remembered. There's so many aspects that add to the comedy and humor here: be it the soundtrack, characters, performances or highly quotable dialogue, Napoleon Dynamite is exceptional at low-key, deadpan humor.
August 2, 2016
Jon Heder as the deadpan titular protagonist is a hoot to watch but this comedy appears to be an amalgamation of unfortunate and hilarious skits awkwardly edited and put together.
August 1, 2016
I am never quite convinced whether I love or hate this film. It's weird, unique and filled with odd humour, which is often a pull for me, but somehow I feel it's more like something you feel compelled to keep watching because of it's alternative qualities.
½ July 30, 2016
Take for what is. One of the funniest comedies out there.
July 28, 2016
Best movie ever. No question about it.
July 25, 2016
One of the dumbest things I ever seen. The transitions are so bad that it is hard to figure out what the plot is.
July 24, 2016
A movie that can be rewatched a thousand times. Best all time favorite
July 24, 2016
21st Century comedic masterpiece. I was into this before anybody else even heard of it. The humor in the movie is like a mirror image of the abstractions going on in my head. How somebody else captured the quirks that I thought only I found funny was astonishing. I bet a million watched it and said "Hey! That's MY crazy humor!". Therein lies the greatness.
July 21, 2016
Jon Heder kills it as Napoleon Dynamite. On the other hand, the story isn't that great, and only a few jokes are good.
July 17, 2016
Responsible for most of my sense of humor and will always be one of my top comedies.