Das Schreckliche Mädchen (The Nasty Girl) Reviews

• Mar 30, 2014

Although it's a tough topic, its sto?y-telling style is enjoyable.

Although it's a tough topic, its sto?y-telling style is enjoyable.

• Mar 06, 2014

A young woman investigates her Bavarian village and it's people's involvement during the Second World War and the townsfolk turn on her. It's a little too art house for my personal taste but a rather unique experience. I probably wouldn't watch it again though.

• Sep 26, 2013

An oddly cheeky and eccentric glance at the most sobering subject of the last century: the assent of ordinary German people to the monstrosity of Nazism. The film is a stylistic and tonal mess, a jarring blend of Brecht, Woody Allen and Michael Haneke. Some scenes play out choppy, funny Amelie-style back story. Others have a curiously stagey, spotlit feel with back-projected black and white backgrounds. Extreme close-ups are suddenly employed, along with the odd moment of magic realism. There are moments of slapstick. The rest of the film is reasonably realistic, with the more appropriate tension of an journalistic investigation drama. The style ruins the substance and you never really get a chance to empathise with either the title character or those surrounding her or indeed the Jewish victims she is supposedly campaigning to vindicate. Ebert's verdict is spot on: "There is a story to be told here, but somehow you have to see straight through the movie to find it."

• Oct 06, 2012

The original Erin Brokovich, a spunky underdog. A Bavarian black comedy.

The original Erin Brokovich, a spunky underdog. A Bavarian black comedy.

John B Super Reviewer
    Jan 30, 2012

Not particularly a valuable addition to the film canon about the Nazi period.

Not particularly a valuable addition to the film canon about the Nazi period.

• Jan 10, 2012

It's a hard balance of satire and serious content that's achieved in the film as a young woman throughout years of research and secrets tries to determine what happened in her village during the occupation of the Third Reich. The only flaws come in starting to shift the narrative perspective about halfway through the film and the extremely abrupt ending.

• Nov 21, 2011

Although it helps to know German language, this is a "must see" for any student of psychology and/or WWII history. Understanding how a country of decent people could be so nearly completely perverted is crucial to understanding the psychology of politics, on a local or world scale. See it! The technical criticisms are valid, as far as that goes. But it's not intended to be a triumph of cinematography. It's a message and a lesson. Five stars, to me, means "must see." I first saw this 9 years ago, and never forgot it. I was fortunate to find it newly available on Netflix. Any film that pops into my mind dozens of times in nine years is one which was important to me, and worth several viewings.

• Feb 04, 2011

A very good effort I can see it was well received becasue of the subject. It was played verty and most of the scenery looked good. I wouldn't call it nasty girl, more like nasty people, but I suppose it must be hard for some people to face their past. If I see anything from this director again I would certainly give it a watch.

• Feb 04, 2011

This movie starts so well and Lena Stolze is impressive in the title role but it loses its way and wanders somewhat aimlessly through the second half!

• Jul 11, 2010

Powerful anti facist film. What do you do when everyone starts to go silent? Cover up the past ?