National Lampoon's Van Wilder - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

National Lampoon's Van Wilder Reviews

September 20, 2018
severely outdated and filled with cliches. multiple montages with cheesy music and staring into the sky wondering lmao, some of the my biggest laughs in this movie were unintentional. it also wasn't that funny when it wanted to be. kal pen was awesome, and so was the doctor boyfriend. ryan reynolds acted well but barely made me laugh. and tara reid is utterly awful. she can barely deliver her lines. the emotional parts were so unnecessary, the proved-me-wrong moment is cringe-worthy. this movie does not stand the test of time and i won't watch it again (about 5 viewings)
August 25, 2018
This movie entertains in many surprising ways. Make sure you have an oxygen bottle handy in case you can't breathe from laughing too hard.
½ July 2, 2018
Ryan Reynolds is hilarious.
March 18, 2018
I'm not exactly what one might call "In to" American comedies, and gross out humour/romantic comedies are pretty much at the bottom of even that list. For a movie that most certainly contains both those two things (the latter in especially heavy doses), I actually didn't mind Van Wilder that much. But it's all about context, if instead of comparing it to a list of similar things that I hate you compared it to, say, the entire history of cinema overall, then National Lampoon's Van Wilder is pretty bad.

One additional note, the friend of mine who I put this on for told me that the movie was from the era of "When Tara Reid was still hot". Now personally I've never found any iteration of her attractive, but it did make me have a parallel thought, is Van Wilder from the era when Tara Reid was a better actor? I'm not saying she has been some sort of Oscar-worthy great at any stage, but if I compare her in this to her in, for example, Sharknado 47, despite the extra years of experience, she's definitely worse now, right?
½ December 20, 2016
It's National Lampoon, home of irreverent humor, potty jokes, and overall juvenile behavior. If you expect anything else, you'll be severely disappointed. Animal House set the stage and established all of the rules by which Van Wilder is to be judged. As such, Van Wilder does well enough.
September 3, 2016
I really hated this flick. No likeable characters and the gross-out gags were shit and one border lined on bestiality.
½ August 25, 2016
Reynolds is brilliant, even if the storyline and script are not.
July 17, 2016
Ryan Reynolds is definitely the best thing about this film. This has some of the most disgusting and horrible scenes I've ever seen in a film, although there is the occasional laugh, they are pretty few and far between. But Reynolds is this films Atlas, he's holding it all on his shoulders. The movie itself gets 1.5 stars, it was shit but there are some sort of funny bits. The other 1.5 stars goes to Reynolds for carrying the entire film.
June 8, 2016
I love this character. really its just Ryan Reynolds playing himself. Great college movie.
May 30, 2016
Yes it's a copy off Animal House and American Pie but it still offers lose of good laughs and the time watching this film was not wasted at all.
½ May 18, 2016
For a movie that is almost entirely set at keggers, it's surprisingly entertaining. Van Wilder has a built-in audience, but only among those who are drying out from spring break and are still unconcerned about what they ingest. The only thing keeping it from being a complete waste of time is the charismatic performance of Mr. Reynolds.
April 28, 2016
A repeat college senior becomes the subject of his college newspaper (he's a big deal). He then falls in love with the journalist (Tara Reid who usually responds with "so like"), who initially thinks he's a spoiled rich kid (he is) but as in all dumb comedies "she's like" you gotta get to know him and you're not what I pictured you as. LET US PUKE NOW!
March 2, 2016
One of the greatest cult comedies of the 2000s. Write that down.
February 11, 2016
Meh. It passes the time.
December 20, 2015
It's hard to resist the charm of Ryan Reynolds in "Van Wilder," but unfortunately it's laughs are short and instead we're stuck with a gross college comedy that is not even close to touching other successful National Lampoon films like "Animal House."
October 12, 2015
One of the funniest movies of all time. I'm not sure what the critics are smoking.
August 31, 2015
I don't know about any other critics, but this movie has taught me some life-long lessons.
August 23, 2015
I say its funny and clever.
½ August 14, 2015
It's hysterical,weird and disgusting at times and mostly dumb.
July 30, 2015
The movie carried out a lot of grouse scenes and funny teen humour. I still think the best teen comedy is American Pie 1 and 2. The movie was alright, it should have a lot of more teen humour, to much of adult humour, you can get tired of seeing that threw out the whole movie.