Night of the Creeps - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Night of the Creeps Reviews

½ April 15, 2018
Unique, enjoyable, rewatchable till exhaustation. A must see genre mix
April 4, 2018
The 1950s as presented by a 1980s movie. Not since Monster Squad (a movie meant for a slightly younger audience that was made by the same director, Fred Dekker) has there been a better combination. Full of quotable lines and references to b movies of the atomic age, this film is a great time. The love towards the b movie genre of films is very evident, using campy characters and references to some famous b movies (such as Plan 9 From Outer Space) along with its very 50s type of set up of alien creatures landing on earth, raising zombies. The opening, set in the 50s, is also very much the kind of stuff you would see in those type of movies. The fact its also an 80s film adds to its charm as well. The effects are dated but considering its intent on being a campy but fun b movie, it weirdly works. The addition of slasher elements and the fact its meant for an r-rates audience adds to the fun, having a 50s b movie plot happen in an 80s violent r rated film. It's nostalgia for the 50s, and our nostalgia for the 80s, makes the film extremely enjoyable and fun to watch. The one problem in it, and it can be a big problem, is the fact its not meant for everyone and people can be easily turned off by its goofy nature and lack of serious moments.
It's no film that I would think will be looked at years from now as the citizen kane of horror comedy movies. Regardless, its still a movie i great enjoy, and it's worth a watch for any fan of B movies from the 50s and 80s (especially horror and science fiction), such as myself. It should be higher regarded just for its dedication to trying to its love for 50s b movies and it's pretty successfully attempt at it. Not for everyone, but it definitely deserves its cult following.
January 24, 2018
Thrill me. A cult '80 horror-comedy, Night of the Creeps is a cheesy B-movie that mishmashes several different types of sci-fi and horror. The story follows two college friends who unwittingly release an alien bug that turns people into zombies when a fraternity prank goes wrong. The script is all over the place with aliens, ax wielding maniacs, and zombies. And, most of the cast is stuck playing one-dimensional character stereotypes; though Tom Atkins has kind of a fun role as a cop on the edge and brings a certain charisma to the film. Also, the make-up effects and prosthetics for the zombies are pretty good and look quite ghoulish. Plus, the comedy and satire is well-done, delivering some entertaining laughs. But Night of the Creeps takes on more than it can handle, and ends up being a crazy mess.
November 5, 2017
Thank god for home video because Night of the Creeps is one of those 80's hidden horror gems that maybe never would've gained it's well deserved cut status otherwise. Fred Dekker created something crazy, original and entertaining. THRILL ME!
½ October 22, 2017
Mindless fun with a nostalgic sense of humor, even for the shameless 1980s.
October 15, 2017
I give this a 88/B+.
September 25, 2017
As an avid lover of campy horrors, this by far is one of the. Eat. In my quest to find and watch every bad horror movie made, this amazing movie has captured my heart as a go to flick. This movie left my entire clan with years of movie references quotes, when used, always makes us giggle. Screening like banchees, and anytime someone questions who one of us is, we promptly answer with a no, and whatever random character pops in our heads. "No, Tom Cruise or Oprah Winfrey. We love this 80s classic
September 10, 2017
Loved this! Classic 80s horror.
½ May 24, 2017
Great midnight horror movie.
May 20, 2017
Fun, campy 1980's horror flick, with Jason Lively (European Vacation) and Tom Atkinson (Halloween III), about alien organisms that enter a person's body and control it. Lots of fun!
April 11, 2017
This movie was so much fun!
November 1, 2016
It keeps playing in silly ground, with dull performances and absurd direction, turning it into one of those "too bad is kinda good" flicks.
October 27, 2016
This B-Movie is actually self-aware, believe it or not: the script's transparent foreshadowing reveals that much (there's even a scene where Plan 9 From Outer Space is playing on a TV in the background). I also strongly suspect that the aliens that are only tangentially involved in the plot were just reused sets and costumes from another shoot. Clearly the crew who made this (who I also suspect made another '86 Z-Movie classic "Chopping Mall" - the two films share cast members) knew exactly the kind of movie they were producing. But even then, the occasional moments of seriousness are overshadowed by the ridiculous plot, wooden acting, and bad special effects. "Night of the Creeps" is a good movie to introduce your friends to the genre of "so-bad-it's-good."
½ October 18, 2016
An absolutely delightful comedic horror cheesefest. Worth watching and re-watching!
August 26, 2016
Another 80's horror diamond that will awake nostalgia. Many cool easter eggs for maniacs. Also many callback's to classics from horror-comedy genre.
½ June 23, 2016
This throwback to 1950s drive-in would be better served if they stayed in the 50s area. The film has some nice comedic moments, mostly from Atkins, but the horror element is tame at best.
June 3, 2016
Opens with an absolutely golden throwback to the cinema of the 60's, and continues to be entertaining throughout.
March 20, 2016
Terrible acting, stupid story, some nice effects but generally nap-fodder.
½ March 19, 2016
A silly and campy reference of all the genre cliches of 80's slasher, horror and sci-fi films from the 50's. But it works well in it's favor actually, and it makes it really fun. The campy camera qualiyt and the comedic gory horror of the film is what I liked the most. And the acting is pretty good. It also makes a reference to George A Romero zombie flicks. It takes a will to get going thought. Recommended !!