Night Shift Reviews

• Mar 01, 2019

This is one of my most favorite movies. Henry Winkler's character is the opposite of The Fonz, he is funny, Keaton is funny, Shelly Long is too. I love underdog stories. And the old school 70s New York vibe and soundtrack takes me back to sweeter times. Ron Howard is a great storyteller with a camera, and directs his actors well. I can watch this movie over and over. Same with the film After Hours.

• Feb 02, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made!

The best comedy movie ever made!

• Sep 10, 2018

Great Old 80's comedy fick.

Great Old 80's comedy fick.

• Mar 24, 2018

It succeeds by coasting on Michael Keaton's manic energy... and that's good enough for me.

• Mar 22, 2018

I guess now I know where Risky Business got its script from, because Night Shift is almost the same exact story. I hate movies where the entire plot is centered around the nice guy who is doing everything right, and how he needs to “loosen up” and become more irresponsible and stupid. That’s the theme in Night Shift, because it centers around a good guy who is partnered with a loose cannon in the city morgue and the two hatch the idea to work as pimps. I’m still not totally sure why they think it is a good decision for them to do this, because they don’t seem to have vital need for the money. But the real reason it’s all happening is because the nice guy develops a crush on one of the prostitutes. The story then goes on autopilot exactly as you’d suspect. Part of my annoyance with it was how long it took to even get to this storyline which anyone could see coming even without reading the plot summary or watching a trailer before the movie. I also have a problem with the casting of Shelley Long in the film. While she can pull off ditzy and dumb, she never seems like a prostitute. In fact she was in the wrong role, and would have worked much better as the annoying fiance that Henry Winkler finds to be a complete bore and annoyance. There was next to nothing redeeming in the film. I think I might have chuckled once, so at least it wasn’t completely hollow. If you like stories like this where the moral is that law-breaking leads you to everything you really want in the world, then maybe you’ll find something redeeming in Night Shift, but I wouldn’t go out of your way to watch it.

• May 04, 2017

Lovely old timey comedy!

Lovely old timey comedy!

• Apr 03, 2017

Henry Winkler was an odd choice to play Chuck. Ron Howard obviously chose him because they were friends and because Henry was popular on television at the time. But Winkler ruins this movie. On the other hand, Keaton makes it really good. Funny guy. So I'm split between a bad actor and a good one.

• Aug 17, 2016

A morgue attendant takes the night shift where he works with crazy partner Michael Keaton; who happens to love prostitutes. They soon turn the morgue into a night brothel. Fun, fresh eighties comedy.

• Jul 22, 2016

Winkler is a complete pushover until he reluctantly teams up with call girl Long and complete goofball Keaton. It's a lot of fun, especially if you're a fan of Keaton's 80s comedy work.

• Jun 28, 2016

Morgue workers run a prostitution ring in this funny dark comedy.

Morgue workers run a prostitution ring in this funny dark comedy.