Noah - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Noah Reviews

½ November 20, 2017
Way to long and just kept dragging on.
½ November 14, 2017
Overall good, I did think it has it ups and downs. I thought the first act was a bit rocky and a bit rushed, could of done better. But good affects for the flood and a strong performance from Crowe.
½ November 8, 2017
Pathetic embarrassing motion picture ~ this is an insult to movie-making. The invention of ridiculous rock creatures made the flick totally fantastical, and there was old Anthony Hopkins, again playing Anthony Hopkins -- he's the same in any role, same voice, same mannerisms, same everything, except he keeps getting older. AWFUL.
½ November 7, 2017
The Biblical Epic, "Noah", Storms to the Big Screen. While it's bound to spark controversy, director Darren Aronofsky's (Requiem for a Dream and Black Swan) artistic vision of the Noah story is breathtaking.

Wait - before you put Aronofsky's head on a platter hear me out on his interpretation of Noah. This is not an average happy Sunday school lesson of Noah's ark. Instead, Aronofsky's vision is dark, gritty and artistic. The book of Genesis tells the story of Noah, a righteous man who obeyed God's command to build an ark. God wanted to redo creation because of the wickedness and sinfulness of man. What we do not know from this story is what Noah was thinking, and this can be pretty hard when translating it up onto the big screen. This is where Aronofsky and writer Ari Handel come into the picture. The story of Noah is only three chapters in Genesis, so Aronofsky and Handel had to fill in the gaps and give Noah a character arc.

Our story begins with Noah (Russell Crowe) and his family - humble caretakers of Earth. There is a slight environmental message here but it's Hollywood and that's expected. Crowe shows us Noah's humanity and nails it. He is at the top of his game giving us one of his best performances since Gladiator. Later, the Creator (God) gives Noah a vision about the flood through a dream. Noah travels to a mountain where Noah's grandfather, Methuselah (Anthony Hopkins), lives. Methuselah, who has a constant craving for berries, gives Noah a hallucinogen where he has another vision about the flood and sees that he needs to build an ark. Noah receives a seed from Methuselah to plant and to grow a forest for the ark. Noah and his family also get help from the Watchers (fallen angels or stone giants that do God's bidding).

While, the Bible does not talk about stone giants it does mention giants roaming the Earth. This is where Aronofsky's creative spark comes into play. The Watchers at times can be often silly but they are also entertaining. The antagonist of course is the rest of humanity, but we need a face for the film and that's where the character Tubal-cain (Ray Winstone) comes into play. Tubal-cain is the vicious leader who wants on the ark. He gathers an army to overtake Noah. Winstone fits the part perfectly and shows us the evil haunting his character. The visual effects in this film are stellar and bring a sense of realism to the film. The cinematography by Matthew Libatique (Pi and Black Swan) is beautiful and breathtaking. The scene where the animals enter the ark is beautifully shot and enlightens the film from some of its darker tones. My favorite scene from the film was when Noah told his family the story of creation. Aronofsky uses more of his artistic keen by using time-lapse footage to journey through the creation of the universe. While Noah does come with its flaws by sometimes cramming in too much stuff for one film or straying at times from Scripture, Aronofsky's version is still worth seeing.

This is also not the first Biblical epic that has strayed from the Bible. Cecil B. DeMille's film The Ten Commandments (1956) is to be considered one of the greatest Biblical epics ever put on screen. Many Christians still praise this film and highly recommend it to believers and nonbelievers alike. However, the film still did take out and add in some parts from the Bible. The film only showed four of the 10 plagues (Blood, Hail, Darkness and Death of the Firstborn). DeMille also added in romances between main characters that may have never existed. Some other noble performances are from a strong Jennifer Connelly, a stern Logan Lerman and a knockout Emma Watson. Aronofsky's version shows us the deep struggles that Noah may have wrestled with internally. He also brings a sense of deep theological elements to the film.

The story could have ended once they board the ark but the film continues. I wanted to know what would happen next and if Aronofsky had any more tricks up his sleeve. Noah also shows us themes of love, mercy, obedience and courage. Aronofsky's version is a creative interpretation of the Scripture. It's a film that I recommend seeing with an open mind and if you don't like it that's fine because everyone has a right to their opinion, but don't omit this film. It's a film you need to have a conversation about after seeing it. In the end, Noah still gets the message across that is present in the Scripture. Noah has its highs and lows but never sinks.
½ November 7, 2017
It's bold take on the classic biblical story may not appeal to all viewers (especially Christians), but Darren Aronofsky's "Noah" is visually dazzling and darkly told at a humanistic level.
October 29, 2017
Not Biblical in any sense. Giant annoyance and disappointment.
½ September 25, 2017
Powerful performances make this version of the Biblical story of Noah decent. Aronofsky, who wrote as well as directed, took much in the way of dramatic license with the story. However, taking the movie as entertainment and not a Biblical treatise, the movie works. A man's struggle between his heart and the will of the Creator is at the core, and Crowe is stoic and strong in his portrayal of the titular character. Better than average.
September 18, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.0

Demasiado fantasiosa y con una floja recreación del espíritu humano.
September 17, 2017
Despite my basic misgivings about the biblical tale in general, this movie is genuinely entertaining in a classic Hollywood epic sort of way. Under Aronofsky's direction, Noah is also an emotionally driven character study that works in small-scale scenes of dialogue as well big CGI-driven action sequences. For me, it just further proves Darren Aronofsky is probably my favorite director working today.
September 16, 2017
Dark, uplifting, and epic on the grandest scale, Aronofsky provides a unique interpretation of the biblical story on a grounded human level. Aside from some pacing issues, this is a phenomenal piece of filmmaking. I myself am a Catholic and find this interpretation of Noah's tale inspired and respectful. Biblical stories are not meant to be sugar coated and sanitized. See something different than the norm and be amazed like I was.
September 2, 2017
Incredible, different and daring. I thought Noah was fantastic and told a story i am familiar with in a new and exciting way with great visuals and performances. i wouldve never thought this bible story could be this epic and action packed. the pace and tone make this a must see. The director took a risk making a believable spectacle with an original twist.
August 6, 2017
Not accurate to the bible, though it doesn't have to be, Noah lacks characters we care about, and can actually be corny at times.
½ July 2, 2017
Bears almost no relationship to the real Noah. In this version, Noah is no better than the rest of the earth. In fact, he views humanity as less worthy than the snakes.
June 25, 2017
I always have admired Darron Aronofsky's work; filled with imagination and creativity. The cast was very well chosen for this remake of the classic biblical story of Noah, which Darron treated in such an involving way that you could feel it was his own story and not a remake.
June 18, 2017
A deeply insane interpretation. This movie had so much in it but i have to say that the second half was a bit too boring. Great performances from the entire cast!
½ June 12, 2017
la peor pelicula que e visto
June 12, 2017
I love this tale, I have seen a lot of films and read a lot of books inspired by it, and this one is by far the worst one. I have no problem with the fantasy elements the film has, my problem is that this movie is boring as hell, I couldn´t believe I felt asleep like 2 times while watching it. there has elements that I did like, but for most of the film I couldn´t do anything but beg for it to end.
May 14, 2017
Absolutely insulting. Only a few accuracies. if you haven't seen this my fellow Christians don't. if you want to, bear in mind it's not bibically accurate.
May 13, 2017
Noah follows the sweeping trail of historical tales made for modern viewers. Whether it's just a fad, time will tell. The writing fills in the blanks in dramatized fashion. It doesn't particularly stand out, however.
May 12, 2017
Painful, pretentious, predictable, ridiculous and boring.