Nobody Walks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nobody Walks Reviews

½ March 26, 2016
This is a drama with very dysfunctional characters, that sometimes you see them and say why are they doing that? It was a decent story to understand and made you feel the characters in a way. Olivia Thirlby is amazing at what she does and for the other characters it was my first time seeing them act, but I got to say they delivered good performances. So for this being an okay drama with good solid acting, I give " Nobody Walks " a C-.
½ July 23, 2014
Tuesday, July 22, 2014

(2012) Nobody Walks
DRAMA

This movie is like the much more serious version of "Down And Out In Beverly Hills" except it's much more entertaining as a comedy than as a drama film. Co-written and directed by Ry Russo-Young starring Martine(Olivia Thirlby) who's just arriving to Silver Lake, LA to put some sound work into a film project regarding ants. And while there, sound guy, Peter (John Krasinski) whose married to someone Martine idolizes, her name is Julie (Rosemarie DeWitt) starts hitting on her. And at the same time, Peter's assistant also has the hot's for her as well creating an un-authentic scenario. The more the movie is progressing, it became more ridiculous like the worst soap opera anyone has ever saw. The only character that offered a little bit of credibility is Rosemarie DeWitt and even she can't even save this movie.

1 star out of 4
½ July 16, 2014
A weird and self-please indie film anchored by a stand-out performance by John Krasinski.
½ July 6, 2014
The movie was a bit corny but "ok" to watch. I stumbled upon it because of John Krasinksy and I think he was the only reason I made it through the end.
Harlequin68
½ June 5, 2014
In "Nobody Walks," Martine(Olivia Thirlby) travels to Los Angeles where she stays with Miriam(Rosemarie DeWitt), a psychologist and friend of a friend. Actually, her business is with Miriam's husband Peter(John Krasinski), a sound engineer, who is helping her with her artwork. Otherwise, everybody is busy. Kolt(India Ennenga), Miriam and Peter's teenage daughter, is ignoring Avi(Sam Lerner) in favor of nursing a crush on David(Rhys Wakefield) while she also takes Italian lessons. And Martine has her hands full with Billy(Justin Kirk), a particularly troublesome patient.

"Nobody Walks" is a well-photographed film wherein I learned something about sound engineering for films. It also sports a very good cast, especially a usually underutilized Olivia Thirlby in the lead. It also has a sluggish pace. That might be to cover up how little it really has to say on the subject of how women are sexually harassed everyday. Part of that is due to a half-hearted approach that begins awkwardly enough with the opening sequence between Martine and a fellow passenger that because the movie joins them mid-conversation only serves to confuse matters. Plus, Martine is cast in the cliched role of domestic intruder, thus implying that some of it is actually her fault.
SC007
April 27, 2014
Olivia Thirlby's performance is the best reason to catch this film. She shines here. She kind of reminds me of Anne Hathaway here. I would love to see her in more leading roles. She has a great on screen chemistry with Krasinski.

I thought the film was so so. I couldn't believe how short it was. It could have been a little longer. It needed a rewrite. I felt that it was unfocused at times. It kind of reminded me of movies like American Beauty and The Paper Man. I was surprised that Lena Dunham co-wrote it.

Krasinski does an ok job here. He has a good on screen chemistry with both DeWitt and Thirlby. DeWitt also does a good job here.

I say, see the film for Thirlby's performance.
½ March 24, 2014
(A comedy that starts somewhere and turns to crap)
This movie starts off strong. Then it all goes down into crap right in the middle of the movie. Everything was terrible. The wrap up, the cinematography was shot independent style and the it was an extremely slow pace Drama movie. Everyone should avoid this one. That's why it's only a half a star. It was unwatchable at the very end. I had to skip to the end credits when the movie only had twenty something or nineteen minutes left. Somewhere around that time frame I had to skip to the main credits. All in all, what could've been amazing, turned into crap right in the middle.
½ March 15, 2014
co-written by lena dunham of HBO's 'girls' a descent rom-dram
½ March 9, 2014
Hated the movie. Really bad.
½ January 24, 2014
After watching Nobody Walks, I realized that my opinion of every character changed completely from the beginning to the end. Martine, played by the wonderful Olivia Thirlby, is the main character of the film, made out to be a creative and sweet artist. John Krasinski, or Peter, is made out to be the faithful husband. Julie (Rosemarie DeWitt) is made out to be the clueless wife. Kolt (Ennenga), the nerdy inexperienced daughter. But as the film progresses, we find out that Martine is actually the "bad guy," Peter is not so faithful, Julie is well aware of what is going on, and Kolt is not nearly as innocent as she seems. This movie sucks you in, tells you a story that you wish you could change, and then spits you back out again. It forces you to watch the terrible things going on in this household, providing a unique experience that I completely fell in love with. Some of the acting could use work, but the sound editing, mumblecore roots, and experimental filming style provide a pleasurable viewing. Not everyone will have the same opinion as me on this one, but if you are open-minded, give it a shot.
January 17, 2014
Borderline neo-mumblecore. What's the point? There is no tale here and it's ultimately just confusing what the main characters are going through. Their motivations and feelings and reactions are all untold.
½ January 13, 2014
Okay, so this wasn't awful, but it's a film about what I'd call 'white people problems', in that a seemingly happy couple move a hot young girl in with them to work with the husband on a project, and surprise, surprise, things snowball from there as far as bad situations go.

It's watchable, but I dunno how relateable it would be to everyone.

Rental?
½ January 7, 2014
watched on showtime ... wouldn't have rented or gone to see it but for tv it was good
½ January 4, 2014
Held my attention, but mostly because I was so irritated.
½ November 16, 2013
Intense, weird and somewhat meaningless.
½ November 14, 2013
Pretentious and stupid. This movie likes itself a lot, but it's the only one who does.
October 5, 2013
Nobody Walks is a beautiful and poetic movie about life and noise. But the problem with it is that you won't remember it by the end of it. A movie like this needs to be remembered afterwards for it to live forwards. But this one didn't.
I tend to like movies that make you think. Movies that have vague and thought-provoking titles and astonishing photography, but this movie was too slow for me. Not much happened and you kept waiting to be dragged into the storyline but you never really were. A lot of the actors also looked the same which made it all confusing, trying to piece the people together and figuring out which relationship all the characters had with each other.
This movie didn't really tell you much, it lets you figure it out yourself. Sometimes that can be an advantage, but I found it being more of a disadvantage in this one. This might be one of those movies that you have to see more than once to fully understand it, but also to be able to appreciate it for what it is. But right now, I found it to be a disappointment, I didn't really feel anything for the characters and I pretty much ended up feeling empty.
August 28, 2013
Moviethon starts now.
cosmo313
½ August 19, 2013
Co-written by Lena Dunham and director Ry Russo-Young, this is a little indie film that could have been something great, but is instead something greatly terrible.

This artsy and poetic film is about Martine- a young woman who comes to L.A. to finish work on an experimental art film. She is staying in the pool house of Peter and Julie, who are helping her out as a favor to a mutual friend of theirs and Martine's. Peter is a sound designer whose expertise could prove invaluable to Martine's project. But, her arrival shakes things up more than expected, and it becomes a situation that no one will emerge from unscathed.

I really wanted to like this film, because I thought it looked really engaging. Instead, this ends up being a slow, boring, meandering, and pretentiousness slog through a tedious melodramatic situation. It's artsy and poetic, but not really meaningful. It's adds up to basically nothing, and, for an 85 minute film, it's also got a really unnecessary subplot that could have been greatly condensed, if not axed completely.

The film is well shot, yeah, I'll give it that, but it's ultimately hollow and pointless. The characters are all pretty much unlikable, but yet, I thought that the performances were actually okay, which is a shame since the movie itself is awful. It's good to see John Krasinski expand his range, but it sucks that this is now a part of his legacy. Same with Olivia Thirlby. I've always dug her, but this is an embarrassment.

Rarely do I give reviews this negative, but I couldn't help it here. This was just a real disappointing chore to get through, and I really urge you to avoid it.
August 17, 2013
This is one of those strange movies that starts out hopeful and ends pretty terrible with stuff in between. However, the film has many different interpretations that can be found beneath the surface of a dreary love story. One point that the movie tries to make is that we just need to listen, whatever it might be because we are all essentially insects who go from place to place, love who we love, etc. This point specifically is because of the use of Foley sound throughout the movie. It was interesting to make sound a character in such a simplistic drama story.

The acting was really good by the whole cast. Olivia Thirlby does a great job at capturing the subtlety of her character and added a lot to the story. John Krasinski was also a surprise as he could take a lot of the subtle humor moments and make them mean a lot more than just a cheesy joke. Last but not least, India Ennenga did a great job by creating a likeable character that the audience can root for when everything seems to be spiraling out of control. Definitely worth it to watch.