The Notebook - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Notebook Reviews

½ January 18, 2017
So a heart-touched movie.
January 17, 2017
*Spoiler Alert, If you think this is a great example of romance, you have been fooled. I get that this was a tear-jerker and that Ryan Gosling's character went above and beyond for love, but there was a major flaw in this film that I absolutely could not get over.

Rachel McAdams character cheats on her fiance to be with Ryan Gosling's character and it is somehow justified by love. What selfish rubbish. I mean just look at the picture above with Rachel and Ryan in that passionate kiss. See that fat diamond encrusted engagement ring she is wearing, he didn't give it to her! That picture alone is depressing and fucked up but here it is being celebrated. Think of this in a real world situation, your are going to marry the love of your life, only for them to tell you, I had hot passionate sex with an old flame, turns out I love them way more than I love you and I can't be with you anymore, sorry. WTF?! Rachel McAdams fiance (James Marsden) then proceeds to say I'm angry but its ok cause I love you. His story is most tragic of all and he is way too good for Rachel McAdams character.

She couldn't at least break it off with her fiance first and then jump in the sack? What a terrible person. Of course "movie magic" glosses over all of this but it's just lazy writing. This could have been an ok movie but with this major flaw and its extremely over exaggerated premise, its just plain bad. Real life relationships come chuck full of drama already and using cheap exaggerations just doesn't make sense. Just more lazy writing. What Transformers is to action movies, The Notebook is to Romance movies.
January 15, 2017
Beautiful love story. Can't believe I'm just now getting around to seeing it.
January 6, 2017
Could be way better if it wasn't so cliché.
½ December 31, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ December 29, 2016
Acting was eh. But the older people acted very well. Really had me feeling emotional at the end.
December 25, 2016
Yksi kaikkien aikojen mahtavimmista rakkaustarinoista! Avaa kyynelkanavat takuuvarmasti. Ihana, kaunis, koskettava, täydellinen. Ekan kerran kun näin leffan, en edes tajunnut kuka Ryan Gosling on (joku nobody, mutta ihan kivan näköinen). Enkä heti ymmärtänyt, että olin lukenut kirjan kymmenisen vuotta aiemmin. Nyt elämys siirretty myös seuraavalle sukupolvelle. Tätä on elämää suurempi rakkaus <3
½ December 22, 2016
It was so bad, I literally puked after seeing the first scene. The title sucks. The actor sucks. The words suck. The trees sucks. Just everything sucked and I hated it all and it was bad and I disliked it very much. It was a shit storm of a movie!!!!
December 17, 2016
most beautiful love story. it might be a cliché but it still makes me cry every single time i watch it.
November 11, 2016
Good fucking movie !
November 8, 2016
Perhaps the most overrated romance movie of all time
November 5, 2016
I love this movie and I'm mad that its only 52% rotten tomatoes. This is my favorite movie of all time and Rachel McAdams was outstanding she is my favorite actor/actress of all time because of this movie my main goal in life is to meet her a give her praise for the work she did in this I love her so much. Ryan gosling played a great part in this he was great in this to and this movie should get much more praise than it does the writer of this is great. An if anyone reads this thank you.
October 31, 2016
3/5. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be.
½ October 17, 2016
Very touching movie, only reason to dislike it would be if you are a cynic.
October 8, 2016
October 2016: bawled my eyes out yet again at the most beautiful love story ever.

Sappy love story. Young love. Matured love. Love no matter what. Love that hurts you, love that sustains you. Loved the book, really enjoyed the movie (again, and again!)

Jan 2012 - watched again, bawled again
½ October 7, 2016
This movie shows a version too much idealized of the love. Many persons will think that if a relation does not have the same characteristics, then it is not a real love.
October 4, 2016
This movie is amazing!!!! Without a doubt 5 stars!
September 30, 2016
Too Long, SAD, Tragic, Gena Rowlands and her character is horrible
½ September 24, 2016
A romantic comedy will at least have some laughs. This wasn't a comedy, it was just a melodramatic love story that was boring. B-actors in a story that seemed to be written by a high school girl. The last 15 minutes with Garner and Rowlands save this from being completely forgettable.
September 2, 2016
Heard this is really good, cant wait 2 c it!