Nowhere - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nowhere Reviews

½ May 15, 2015
This would appear to be Araki doing his best John Waters impersonation. The problem? Waters never worried about being cool. This entire movie is a mess.
½ July 30, 2014
I have yet to see all of Araki's works before this film, but I think, from what I have seen, Nowhere marked the turning point from a hasty film-student style to a more mature style that isn't bogged down by fancy editing or a domineering soundtrack. There are still problems here though, namely that Araki doesn't seem to be telling us anything important or even all that interesting with his characters. Still, this film shows how Araki was discovering the style that would later make his film Mysterious Skin such a haunting masterpiece.
½ June 2, 2014
Drugs, violence, sex, and an amazing soundtrack.
January 15, 2014
Gregg Araki keeps on directing odd films about teenagers and aliens. This new film is dope and completely crazy but awesome to watch if you like underground cinema.
August 18, 2013
Crazy, ridiculous, hilarious trash. Highly entertaining.
½ July 30, 2013
The only good things about this movie are the soundtrack and watching cowboy. This is a Technicolor trainwreck of 90s trans-culture; yet you can't not watch it.
June 12, 2013
its my 3rd favorite movie of all time.
½ April 12, 2013
Oh my God the ending. Traumatizing.
February 3, 2013
For once the tagline for a movie is an accurate synopsis because Nowhere is "a Beverly Hills 90210 episode on acid." Gregg Araki's "Nowhere" has an ensemble cast of who's-who from the late 1990s teen stars (James Duvall, Rachel True, Mena Suvari, Ryan Phillippe, Heather Graham, Guillermo Diaz) as perverse, vulgarly inarticulate, Californian hipster nihilists. Some of the best worst dialogue in the history of film, bisexual fantasies, alien abductions, murder by a can of Campbell's tomato soup, cyber punk carjacking gangs, beefcake drag queens and a cameo by Rose McGowan, Shannon Doherty and Traci Lords as three vacuous valley girls who argue and gossip about each others dates before being vaporized by an alien leaving only their retainers and high heels behind. AMAZING!!!!
December 7, 2012
no where yet everywhere!
½ August 26, 2012
C'est frais, c'est beau, c'est créatif, ça fait se sentir jeune.
½ July 31, 2012
While the whole film is satirical and not meant to be taken literally, it's flawed plot does have some very interesting moments, particularly it's unusual ending.
July 20, 2012
Amazing opening credits. I'm outta here, what more can be said? Lol. This was definately the best of the teenage apocalypse trilogy. Best dialogue goes to; "Ahhhhhhhhhh".
May 28, 2012
I really loved this movie :)
May 28, 2012
wha one half star ratings? this movie = no need for drugs cause it's on crack itself. "wtf" will be runnin through your mind til the credits.
December 21, 2011
My new favourite.

"Dear diary, what a day. I swear I've never been so depressed, miserable, and lonely in my entire life. It's like I know there's got to be somebody out there somewhere... just one person in this huge, horrible, unhappy universe who can hold me in their arms and tell me everything is going to be okay. And how long do I have to wait before that person shows up. I feel like I'm sinking deeper and deeper into quicksand... watching everyone around me die a slow, agonizing, death. It's like we all know way down in our souls that our generation is going to witness the end of everything. You can see it in our eyes. It's in mine, look. I'm doomed. I'm only 18 years-old and I'm totally doomed."
November 5, 2011
This movie is a psychedellic pleasure to the eyes.
September 15, 2011
It goes Nowhere! It has no plot and it's stupid at times! You get to see James Duval''s smooth naked body in a few brief scenes though :-)
It makes up for how contrived this is!
½ August 17, 2011
Faut vraiment que j'arrête les cookies au LSD..... !!! Dommage, parce que casting de malades...
½ May 23, 2011
The final part in Araki's Teenage Apocalypse Trilogy, with "Totally Fucked Up" & "The Doom Generation" preceding it. Arguably his best beloved film until "Mysterious Skin" came along, and his most conventionally accessible. Its cast list - major parts, small parts & the copious cameos included - reads like a Who's Who - listing of the teenage nineties running the gamut from indie sweethearts (and Araki regulars) like James Duvall, television stars looking for some street cred (Christina Applegate, Shannen Doherty, ...), young stars on the brink of the big break-through (Ryan Philippe, Rose McGowan, Mena Suvari, Heather Graham, Denise Richards ...) & controversial tabloid mainstays (Traci Lords, Jeremy Jordan, ...). All these actors play characters that immediately convey to the audience that they are fucked up & wouldn't know how to be anything else.

The main plot takes us through the open relationship between Duvall & True, and his issues with her bi-sexual philandering + his crush on blond boy-toy material Bexton, and oh yeah, also the appearance of giant cockroaches from outer space who disintegrate people with their lasers. You know it's going to be a rough day when you have to cope with all of that. The side-plots follow their friends & associates through unconnected events that mostly serve to convey the atmosphere of the doom generation, but slightly unusually for Araki, most of them actually tie into the main plot at some point & gain relevance for the story.

I know a lot of people who can't stand Araki, not even this film, which is, like I said, much more accessible than his other films. At the same time, I know enough people who worship the ground he walks on, so it's not easy to predict how you'll react. In general I myself cannot enjoy a film where the plot doesn't follow an established narrative pattern, or is secondary to message and/or style, and yet I saw this film when it premièred on television, when I was about 12 I guess, and it's one of the films that I remembered vividly ever after, unlike anything I'd ever seen before, and I didn't understand what the hell was going on at all, but I was pretty much smitten from that moment on. I saw it a second time many years later, when I was in my early twenties and was gratified that I did indeed remember it in surprising detail, and that it still had a wondrous effect on me, though a slightly jaded one that comes with growing up. Having seen it now for the third time, again quite a few years later, I stand by my opinion: this film fucking rocks, rape by celebrity, incest & one of the strangest unsettling endings ever made included!