The Offence - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Offence Reviews

August 8, 2017
slow and overly dramatic but Connery gives one of his best performances and that alone is worth the watch.
July 23, 2017
Badly dated, very self-conscious and wordy police interrogation drama, with lots of ACTING. Connery seems uncomfortable in a part that requires both cruelty and tenderness, and Lumet directs very clunkily in grim dark exteriors that accurately reflect Britain in the early-70s. Only Ian Bannen as the snivelling suspect and Vivien Merchant as Connery's put-upon wife rise above the material.
½ June 9, 2017
Sidney Lumet's The Offence is an exceptionally well done, often stagy drama that, once it gets under your skin, is painfully honest and infinitely disturbing.
½ May 12, 2017
It does not give the Lumet signature at all.
½ July 31, 2016
Don't know what the hell to make of this. It thinks it's much cleverer than it actually is, and Connery is way, way out of his depth. But Lumet kind of makes it interesting, even if it's quite clearly based on a stage play. I really, I just, I have no idea.
July 10, 2015
This packed a serious punch.
March 22, 2015
One of the more obscure films that Sean Connery starred in during the 1970s. I have heard that the film was made prior to Diamonds Are Forever (1971) but released by UA internationally as part of a deal to get Connery to play James Bond again. Spoiler alert ahead but this is not a thriller but a character study despite how it might be packaged. It is adapted from a John Hopkins stage play and directed by American Sidney Lumet. Connery plays a British police detective sergeant who beats a suspected child molester to death during a routine interrogation. Connery plays the previously unflappable British cop who undergoes a nervous breakdown before our eyes with a great deal of skill, the man could act. We are never completely certain why Connery's character snaps, in a series of Rashamon-style flashbacks we get several different competing versions of the truth, from Connery's character. Was he a burned-out cop who saw too much and snapped or did he beat the suspect to purge himself of his own guilt over his hidden tendencies? Connery appears in control but glimpses of his deeply troubled psyche come out n interactions with his suffering wife (Vivien Merchant), a police inspector (Trevor Howard), and the suspect himself (Ian Bannen). Despite Connery's performance, the film is too stagey in parts and there is a lot of padding with a silent Connery stalking the streets of an unnamed British city. Its worth a look for Connery's unsettling performance, especially in his interaction with Bannen when you realize you are watching two men who both need serious psychiatric help.
½ March 16, 2015
I decided to watch this movie because Christopher Nolan said in an interview that it's one of his favorite movie. I could see that he was probably influenced by The Offence. There's the interrogation scene between Johnson and Baxter which recalls a lot the interrogation room scene between the Joker and the Batman from The Dark Knight. First of all Baxter's continuous mocking laugh recalls Joker's laugh. Then Johnson, a man of justice, must break his rules and beat to death Baxter, just like Batman almost does with Joker. Besides these "Dark Knight" similarities it's a great psychological thriller, about a man and his inside demons (Johnson). How long can a man stand all those horrors he sees daily, before he becomes insane and loses his grip? It's a depressing movie in the end. There's no happy end, you have a sense of discomfort in the end...
December 1, 2014
The movie was very slow paced and droned on and it got boring pretty quickly, I still watched over an hr of it though, (then I had to skip to the end). Pretty disappointing movie I expected it to have a little bit more action at least. The acting was decent, but the movie itself seemed cheaply made and relied heavily on Dialogue.
June 22, 2014
Sidney Lumet precisa apenas de um esboço de whodunnit para montar um daqueles thrillers psicológicos que rapidamente fazem pressão sobre o estômago e que só o largam algumas horas depois do filme acabar. Assim é "The Offence": thriller desconfortável, intenso, altamente labiríntico e muito capaz de nos deixar atordoados com toda a luz que lança sobre dois homens com mentes bastante obscuras. O papel de Sean Connery, em duelo contra si próprio, é arrebatador e muito bem secundarizado pelo de Ian Bannen. Mas a chave para chegar a muitos destes méritos está num Sidney Lumet que, mesmo a trabalhar para grandes estúdios, nunca teme a complexificação dos seus personagens ou a falta de um guia moral para orientar o público.
½ April 6, 2014
After collaborating with Connery on 'The Hill (excellent) and 'The Anderson Tapes' (good) Lumet again brought the best out of his star in this adaptation of a John Hopkins play. Lumet tries to spice up the story by jumping back and forth in the narrative but the film works best when he lets his actors breath with the script and focus on certain scenes. Connery is excellent here and produces some of his best work. His scenes with Merchant, Howard (who turns up late in the proceedings) and Bannen are tense and beautifully played. The whole thing is probably a little too gritty and TV for some but if you are keen to see some of the best work Connery ever produced then check this out.
½ August 18, 2013
Unsettling Sidney Lumet directed story about Sean Connery as a detective who assaults and kills a child rapist during an interrogation. The film starts with that event and gets progressively creepier as the film them recounts the events and motivations leading up to the incident. Connery got this film made as part of his agreement to return as James Bond in "Diamonds Are Forever."
½ August 26, 2012
shades of 12 angry men from sidney lumet with good performances from connery, trevor howard and the excellent ian bannen
March 8, 2012
Lumet exploits cruelly with his (supposedly) artistic skills whether or not intentionally. The actors only added to the torture. For crying out loud, this was a literal offence by a lumetic to this ever innocent part of audience. 0/5 at best.
December 28, 2011
A British cop that has seen too much finally snaps. I'm sure this really packed a punch 40 years ago, but now it seems a bit more ordinary. Still a fascinating artifact. Lumet's atypical over-stylized direction detracts from some great acting.
½ October 28, 2011
Impressive work of Sean Connery as Detective Sgt. Johnson, resisting in front of colleagues and in his private life not to spill the cesspool inside his mind. The immersion in this man's shattered mind reminded me vaguely of Guy de Maupassant's short story "Diary of a Madman" in wich a guardian of law and order becomes obsessed with the crimes he has witnessed throughout his life, up to the point that he loses reason, and begins to feel the same drive, thirst of the criminals for harming or killing any other living beings. One thing I criticize are the constant breaks of time and continuity, something I hadn't seen in a pragmatic director -mostly free of gimmicks- like Sidney Lumet, but I value the dim atmosphere he manages to create, and of course the great assemble cast of Ian Bannen, Trevor Howard and Vivien Merchant.
September 24, 2011
Connery take sthe balls to another level
July 20, 2011
Connery gives an exceptional performance in one of his lesser known works, which is a shame as it needs more recognition.
July 11, 2011
Fascinating character film that once again proves that there was no better film director than Lumet at handling two-handed scenes. Connery was never better (or riskier) than he is here and Ian Bannen also excels. The director also scores though, casting the viewer adrift with a kind of anti-cinema game for the most part, while interjecting and fucking with us with pure and tricky little cinematic flashes. It's theatre meets cinema for sure and while it doesn't always work perfectly, the theatrical melodrama adds to the intrigue and disconcerting mood of the piece. The Offence is a film that will stay with you long after the credits roll.
½ June 18, 2011
Tremendous performance from Connery and a stunning teaser bit, but it lost me a bit in the middle. Some of the cuts and effects were a nuisance, but others worked really well to provide the illusion of a fractured mind. I'm still kind of confused as to what actually happened, but I think it's supposed to leave you that way.