Once Upon a Time in America Reviews

• Oct 03, 2020

A movie for old men who want to see slow shots on the past with some gratuitous rape scenes. And it's 3 hours long. As a lover of mob movies, I'm baffled by this one's presence on the "top" lists?!?

• Sep 27, 2020

One of my all-time favorite films - the music score is excellent - ennio morricone - the acting is superb - the plot is great - see it - you will LOVE IT!

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Aug 28, 2020

A big film. Jewish kids in the hardscrabble streets of the-early-twentieth-century New York grow to be Prohibition thugs, all played for nostalgic empathy. The culture is secondary to the loyalty the boys feel...until they don't feel that any longer. That's the modus operandi of the tale. Well that...and women. There's a certain elegance combined with cruelty here, an air of decadence that's seductive and repulsive that make for an interesting time at the flickers.

• Jul 24, 2020

Probably one of the finest movies every made .a long film but so worth the watch

• Jul 12, 2020

Utterly gorgeous set-pieces (and music) make this a must-see classic. The camera adores Tuesday Weld and the young Jennifer Connelly, though throughout, the movie is mysogynistic, and in some scenes savagely so. There are major continuity problems, and even with nearly four hours of run-time the screen the director, editor, and screenwriters couldn't seem to come up with a plot that makes sense.

• Jul 09, 2020

I have seen this picture so many times and each time is like seeing it for the first time. The acting, music Ennio Morrone), director, photography is breathtaking. In my opinion, De Niro has never been better. Not Mean Streets, Not The Godfather. And that mysterious ending. Worth watching for almost four hours A work of art.

• Jul 01, 2020

So few movies manage to feel like an epic but this one does, ending is open to interpretation, and thinking about it, its the perfect way to end it. The fact that we live in a world where this exist makes my soul happy. Underrated Classic.

• Jun 14, 2020

Ennio Morricone's score is the only redeeming quality in this picture.

Ennio Morricone's score is the only redeeming quality in this picture.

• Jun 11, 2020

What a fabulous journey back and forth between the very beginning and middle of 20th century United States. Everything about this movie is perfect: Story, costumes, setting, script, music, pace, acting, cast and, ultimately, 100% realistic. It can easily be considered one of the best full-length films of all time. It wonderfully depicts the American society (particularly amongst the poorer classes) before and after the two world wars and during the infamous prohibition era. At times, it feels like a strange-but-fascinating kind of modern western picture, especially when the protagonists were in their teen years (or even younger). It's endearing. It's true to life. Another GEM by Sergio Leone.

• Jun 09, 2020

There's no other film that has the same emotional heft of The Godfather and the same narrative heft of Citizen Kane as this masterpiece of pure cinema. Additionally, this is Leone at his most ambitious, poetic, mature, stylistically audacious and at his, at least for me, best. I'm just floored, and I feel as if I was missing out on half of cinema!