One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Reviews

• May 19, 2020

A film which at times was uncomfortable viewing but also contains many fun and heartbreaking moments. Jack Nicolson has that cheeky charmer character down very well but you feel the anger and the sadness throughout. An excellent supporting cast including Louis Fletcher, Danny DeVito and Christoper LLoyd. They have a very set routine in the hospital the classical music plays as they take their medicine. Its very regimented and we see the scary, calm and straight faced Nurse Ratched. She has control and the way she sits and walks is very eerie. You can see why many of the men are scared of her. The scenes of excitment on the boat and the party show what the men have been missing. They see Jack Nicolson character as an influence, as a leader and something they have never seen before. His relationship with Chief becomes very moving as we close on the end of the movie. The climax has the shocking moments, from moments with Billy played well Brad Dourif,Nurse Ratched being strangled and the eventually mercy killing of Randle. We embrace the madness, we laugh at them, we laugh with them, we feel sorry for them and embrace when their regimented day is changed. The freedom seems to be only through escaping or dying. They are some moments where i feel it wouldn't happen, with many times the nurses station being easy access to the patients. The imaginary play by play baseball sequence is memorable as he shows them a different side than the normal everyday. His impact on the men is felt through the enjoyable moments but also in tragedy. Entertaining and thought provoking.

• May 19, 2020

one of the most socially engaged films I have ever seen, at times even moving. a really good movie

• May 17, 2020

Simply brilliant! This is a classic and a must see!

Simply brilliant! This is a classic and a must see!

• May 11, 2020

Jack Nicklaus gives the best performance I’ve ever seen from him. Truly a classic performer along with “chief.” This was a great movie but I’m not sure it ranks with the top 25-50 classics everyone claims it to be. I did enjoy the laugh out loud moments during the movie. Again, Nicklaus with a legendary performance but I can’t take much away from nurse ratchet either.

• May 06, 2020

I must be missing something here. Milos Forman directed Jack Nicholson and Louis Fletcher to Oscar wins in this film, so he knows what he's doing. But I don't see what's so great about this film. It's a good movie, but it's tremendously overrated. It did deserve all of the oscars it won, plus another for Will Sampson in a supporting role, but it's not as good Forman's other masterpiece, Amadeus. Definitely watch it, as I'm in the minority here. 3/5

• Apr 16, 2020

تحفة فنية في التمثيل والإخراج مقتبسة عن قصة تحلل آليات عمل المصحات النفسية المبنية على مدرسة علم النفس السلوك .. لصالح ما تبناه مدارس أخرى في علم النفس. (الخصائص الفردية).

• Mar 15, 2020

93% is high and all, but who in the hell would give this movie a negative review....

• Feb 23, 2020

Brilliant story of an exploration of mental health issues, all set within a psych-ward

• Feb 20, 2020

The movie, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" directed by Milos Forman, would receive a three out of five-star rating because of the actors, how closely it stayed true to the book, and the ending. Will Samson, the actor that portrayed Chief, was a strong acting choice because he strongly depicts the shy nature of Chief in the book, as well as, his physical appearance of a large Native American. However other characters, like Harding, are not as to be desired. After reading the novel, one would picture Harding to be a young, handsome man with high education, but in reality, the actor is a middle-aged, out-of-shape man. The movie also bypasses major parts of the book, like meeting Harding's wife and the development of the fishing scene, failing to stay true to the source material. Seeing how Harding's wife conducts herself and the planning that went into the fishing trip, helps in understanding some confusing scenes in the movie and inevitably makes the book more enjoyable. Even though Forman's casting choices were a bit questionable and he left out major parts of the book, he did capture the ending perfectly creating some closure for the audience but still keep them wondering about life on the ward. In conclusion, there are quality parts to the movie like Chief's character and the ending; however, the movie fails to stay true to the source material making the book a much more enjoyable use of your time.

• Feb 20, 2020

The movie, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," directed by Miloš Forman in 1975 receives an average rating. There are multiple components from the book that were altered or didn't make it into the movie. In the book, Chief is the narrator, but in the movie the story is based around Mr. McMurphy's point of view; consequently, cutting out the ending of the book. One scene that was altered, is the fishing scene. Mr. McMurphy is the ‘Captain' of the ship, but in the book George is the one who knows all about fishing and is the ‘Captain' of the boat. The movie alters this to make McMurphy more psychotic than he already is portrayed. One actress didn't look like she was described in the book. Louise Fletcher did a great job in the movie, but I was expecting more looks of the character Pam Ferris plays in "Matilda." Overall, the movie was relatively close to the book and not too many scenes were altered of cut out of the movie.