Only God Forgives Reviews

• 4d ago

Poorly lit. Hard to watch and follow.

Poorly lit. Hard to watch and follow.

• Apr 02, 2020

My favorite Arthouse film, Only God Forgives has a deep beauty and an emotional resonance due to Ryan Gosling's ability to showcase a character's longing for something that he cannot have like he did with the same director in Drive. Know that this is not Drive. It's even more violent, the characters act not through actions, but through metaphors that look like bizarre actions. Nothing is at is looks. But it looks beautiful. The colors are outstanding and the dialogue cracks with it's blunt power. It's genuinely disturbing to follow such despicable people doing such unsavory things, but this is not your typical revenge flick. You're not avenging those criminals around you, you're avenging yourself. Looking at the low audience score, you should know to go in with low expectations because odds are against you liking it, you'll probably find it too pretentious or violent to handle. But to those who can get fixated on the word-building and the symbolism and the slow zooms and pans... it's enveloping. I'd recommend Too Old To Die Young and The Neon Demon if you liked this movie or have seen those and want to know if this is for you. It is.

• Mar 24, 2020

Don't let the fact that Ryan Gosling is playing in this movie, trick you into watching it. It is a waste of time!!

• Feb 19, 2020

This is not a movie for someone expecting this to be Die Hard or any of the thousands cookie cutter action movies. This is for people who appreciate films as a form or art. Visually is stunning. Yes it is slow but it gives it more purpose and meaning of every element in each frame. The story line is not about cops and thief's shooting each other....it's DEEPER, hence the name of the movie Only God Forgives. The yuxtaposition of two cultures caught in violence. Americans mentality vs Middle East mentality. The first one driven only by vengeance and ego. The second one driven by justice. (Not western americanized blunt justice...but an eye for an eye justice.) It's a great movie only for people that can actually see past blockbusters and crowd pleaser movies. Not bc McDonalds sells millions makes it gourmet...so don't fall for this cheap rating by people who expected to see a karate batman movie :)

• Feb 07, 2020

Not good. Solid cast, but weird plot that goes nowhere. Lots of intense stares and almost no dialogue.

• Jan 29, 2020

This movie had great potential but was a disappointment. Mostly just senseless violence, no character background or development. Had a flash of brilliance cinematically with the red misc en scene. But the story was choppy and no real sense of excitement.

• Jan 13, 2020

A dark, violent, neon-flooded film. Ryan Gosling in his element. Only God Forgives is a slow-moving yet beautiful crime film based in Bangkok, Thailand. It's a film that has to be carefully watched to be enjoyed. Viewers are rewarded with satisfying violence and stunning visuals. The plot is a basic revenge storyline with some twists and turns. The real and surreal are blended to amplify the sleazy underbelly of Thailand. Acting performance can be debated among viewers. Some view Ryan Gosling's performance as lacking emotion. Yet, I found this to be the point of his character. Certains lines and dialogue may seem overused yet it doesn't take too much away from the movie. Cinematography is jaw-droppingly beautiful. From the beginning to the end, this movie will bathe you in well-thought-out set-pieces, use of colors and imagery, and stunning visuals. The setting and cinematography do a lot of the heavy lifting to this film that makes so many viewers love it. Special appreciation to Larry Smith and his team for their stellar work. Sound design and music also add a lot to this film that makes it so damn enjoyable. I'll have to applaud Kristian Eidnes Andersen and Eddie Simonsen for their work. Yet, after all the pros this movie offers, I felt that there seemed to have been a certain "oomf" missing. This film did not stay with me as long as I'd like. That may as well be this film's greatest sin. 3.5/5. Beautiful eye and ear candy. Perfect to watch with some movie buffs, but maybe not for a general audience.

• Dec 15, 2019

An intriguing if somewhat messily handled depiction of what film should and hopefully will become in the future.

• Oct 20, 2019

I did not feel the suspense. I felt annoyed. Very weird and unenjoyable movie. The overall plot is primitive, but the way the plot rolls out didn't make sense, the characters do the most obscure things. I enjoyed the actors, the camera, the music and the effects, but I hated the screenwriting which makes me not recommend this movie.

• Oct 10, 2019

A karaoke loving detective and his mighty sword take down the evil bad guys. This detective doesn't condone crime, unless he's the one killing, maiming, and crippling. His loyal police groupies follow him like zombies as he plays judge, jury and executioner in this horribly scripted film.