Only Lovers Left Alive - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Only Lovers Left Alive Reviews

November 16, 2017
a bewitching, weird romance. Tom Hiddleston and Tilda Swinton are perfect together with effortless chemistry. an overlooked gem, a future cult classic
½ October 22, 2017
COMPLETE CRAP!!! The only scare it has to offer is through being a HORRIFIC BORE!!!
½ September 20, 2017
Now this is a great Vampire movie, it will join Let the Right One In as one of the best Vampire movies ever.
July 29, 2017
Very good movie where you can learn somethings through the time lived by Adam and Eve. Topics like music, live, scientists and wars. Great movie
½ June 27, 2017
With grimy atmosphere, psychedelic music, twisted dark humor, and a hipster vampire rockstar romance, this is by far the strangest movie Jim Jarmusch has ever made.
½ June 17, 2017
Excellent cast, dark music and brilliant direction. Jarmusch at his best.
June 15, 2017
Adam (Tom Hiddleston) & Eve (Tilda Swinton) play 2 very old & almost catatonic vampires, who seem like they could have it all, but don't live with the luxuries you might expect. But they do share the most extraordinary love for each other, of which Adam so desperately needs in a moment in his life where he is questioning whether life in our present world is worth living. Tom & Tilda have great chemistry & manage to star in a vampire movie that doesn't focus on vampires but instead on the power of love. This is a vampire movie for adults.
½ June 10, 2017
Qwerky and tedious. Really wanted to like this movie but left me bored and reaching for the FF>>
May 5, 2017
It's a little frightening, how much I love this film.
½ April 16, 2017
Great piece of artistic vampyristic love. Dreamy and gloomy.
½ March 31, 2017
As strong in style and atmosphere as it's also bizarre and unconventional, this vampire flick benefits from a heavily appealing main characters, but it struggles with a slow pacing rhythm and a lack of actual plot, which can only make some mainstream audiences to step away from it.
March 26, 2017
I saw this film in the theater, and I hated it. I love Jarmusch, and I had never seen a film of his I didn't like until this one. So ... I thought I should give it another chance. While my reaction to it isn't as strong on second viewing, I still really don't like it. The vision offered in this film of vampires as some kind of aristocracy with much better taste than your average Joe (taste that very obviously matches Jarmusch's) is really the worst kind of vigorous back-patting. Yeah ... I share his taste ... but that doesn't really matter. No matter how good your taste is, it exhibits really really poor taste to be this proud of yourself for it. Normally, I might forgive a film for this indiscretion, but that's really all there is to it. There's not much else to like here.
½ March 21, 2017
My opinion

When I saw this romantic drama, I found the very original idea, which was to stage two amorous vampires, in the positives: a beautiful realization of "Jim Jarmusch", the story is original and The atmosphere of the particular film. The aesthetic of many scenes is fun, but that does not mean that everything is sugar and honey, because the slowness of the film really does not serve it, I will never understand why, when talking about romanticism, it often means A soporific slowness like this one, fortunately some films are more energetic than these. Note that Tilda Swinton is sublime as usual, I adore it. And to finish the music makes all its effect. Well that makes that in conclusion is still good
March 12, 2017
It was ok. Just seemed to drag on and on...
January 18, 2017
Beautiful cinematography, great performances, haunting score and Jarmusch's always refreshing direction.
January 11, 2017
What would vampires live like today? We already got an answer to that in the hilariously funny "What we do in the shadows" but Jim Jarmush has his own. They stick to the rules and stay undetected, not killing people. They've been the muses behind scientists and artists for centuries but grow weary of humans. Hiddleston is a surprisingly grumpy vampire, not giving us his trademark grin. His hipster snob is pretty amusing, just like Swinton's hippie.There are genuinely funny, albeit subtle, moments. But the film's pace is really slow and the plot remains somewhat episodic. That's still rather entertaining but could have used a bit more of a, well, bite.
December 21, 2016
I love Tom Hiddleston, but I was bored. Not completely paralyzing though.
½ December 20, 2016
Jarmusch knows quite well the kind of engrossing atmosphere that he wants to invoke with this story of old-fashioned, cultivated vampires who feel deeply disappointed in people's disdain for Science and Art and are doomed to succumb in the mediocrity that dominates the world.
½ November 14, 2016
With Tilda Swinton, Tom Hiddleston and the dazzling shots of Tangier, what else can you ask for? Even Detroit becomes a place of romance under Jim Jarmusch. But I honestly don't understand why Mia Wasikowska has to be there.
October 19, 2016
Beautiful movie with lovely actors.