Only Lovers Left Alive - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Only Lovers Left Alive Reviews

½ March 21, 2017
My opinion

When I saw this romantic drama, I found the very original idea, which was to stage two amorous vampires, in the positives: a beautiful realization of "Jim Jarmusch", the story is original and The atmosphere of the particular film. The aesthetic of many scenes is fun, but that does not mean that everything is sugar and honey, because the slowness of the film really does not serve it, I will never understand why, when talking about romanticism, it often means A soporific slowness like this one, fortunately some films are more energetic than these. Note that Tilda Swinton is sublime as usual, I adore it. And to finish the music makes all its effect. Well that makes that in conclusion is still good
March 12, 2017
It was ok. Just seemed to drag on and on...
January 18, 2017
Beautiful cinematography, great performances, haunting score and Jarmusch's always refreshing direction.
January 11, 2017
What would vampires live like today? We already got an answer to that in the hilariously funny "What we do in the shadows" but Jim Jarmush has his own. They stick to the rules and stay undetected, not killing people. They've been the muses behind scientists and artists for centuries but grow weary of humans. Hiddleston is a surprisingly grumpy vampire, not giving us his trademark grin. His hipster snob is pretty amusing, just like Swinton's hippie.There are genuinely funny, albeit subtle, moments. But the film's pace is really slow and the plot remains somewhat episodic. That's still rather entertaining but could have used a bit more of a, well, bite.
December 21, 2016
I love Tom Hiddleston, but I was bored. Not completely paralyzing though.
½ December 20, 2016
Jarmusch knows quite well the kind of engrossing atmosphere that he wants to invoke with this story of old-fashioned, cultivated vampires who feel deeply disappointed in people's disdain for Science and Art and are doomed to succumb in the mediocrity that dominates the world.
½ November 14, 2016
With Tilda Swinton, Tom Hiddleston and the dazzling shots of Tangier, what else can you ask for? Even Detroit becomes a place of romance under Jim Jarmusch. But I honestly don't understand why Mia Wasikowska has to be there.
October 19, 2016
Beautiful movie with lovely actors.
October 3, 2016
Good performances.. nice original and occasionally boring film.
September 28, 2016
I adore both lead actors, and vampires in general, yet I still found this movie to be almost unbearably tedious, and dry. *pouts*
½ September 22, 2016
Tilda Swinton delivers an excellent performance in a story that summons the film's title in its very last minute.
½ September 3, 2016
We are not watchers of vampire movies but were enthralled by this. The elements of dark locations, brilliant casting and performances present a world weariness that can be embraced far beyond vampire formula. Formula it is not. Jarmusch it is. Giving the film a depth of humour, a depth of music and all manner of allusions. The most rewarding and uplifting dose ever slowly told, of darkness deep in ennui, sustained anxiety just below the surface.
½ August 11, 2016
The underlying premise of any vampire movie is "what if your friendly nice neighbor is a scary vampire?" Jim Jarmusch asks the question differently: "what if the scary vampire is actually your friendly nice neighbor?" Lovers Left Alive pumps new blood into the vampire genre (pun intended) and explores the soft and vulnerable - almost mundane - side of the blood-thirsty creatures.
Thanks to the out-of-this-world, dreamy ambiance Jarmusch masterfully creates, watching the film feels like being under drug effect; you're enjoying the mesmerizing images and music while contemplating the main characters' unfolding relations and existential ordeals.
As a literature student, I love all the literary allusions the film is ripe with. Even Adam and Eve's (Hiddleston and Swinton) relationship feels like it came straight out one of the imaginary worlds created by Poe or Byron.
Tom Hiddleston is good but the one who really stands out in all her exquisite beauty, grace and talent is Tilda Swinton as the ultimate motherly female figure/vampire.
August 1, 2016
As an art film, "Only Lovers Left Alive" is beautiful, stylish and meditative. As a vampire flick, it's boring, aimless and anemic. Whether you like the movie or not will depend heavily on what you're looking for.
½ July 27, 2016
Probably two of the coolest vampires ever put on screen. A movie that makes you ponder what's wrong with humanity, with out being preachy. Plus a soundtrack that will make you wish you were as cool as the main characters.
July 8, 2016
Great performances and set pieces, but shockingly boring.
July 8, 2016
If you could describe it with a word. Opiate comes to mind.
June 24, 2016
Enjoyed the music in this movie as well as how it seemed true love was portrayed, way to modernize vampires well.
½ June 22, 2016
total and utter dross. don't bother.
I couldn't wait to see this based on rotten tomatoes high reviews but as it dragged and dragged all the way through I kept waiting for the big exciting amazing high score on screen.
it never came. sort yourself out rotten tomatoes. get a wider audience that these high score giving over educated luvvies.
get in touch with the common working man someday so I can get some decent honest non reviews
½ June 17, 2016