Only Lovers Left Alive - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Only Lovers Left Alive Reviews

½ November 14, 2016
With Tilda Swinton, Tom Hiddleston and the dazzling shots of Tangier, what else can you ask for? Even Detroit becomes a place of romance under Jim Jarmusch. But I honestly don't understand why Mia Wasikowska has to be there.
October 19, 2016
Beautiful movie with lovely actors.
October 3, 2016
Good performances.. nice original and occasionally boring film.
September 28, 2016
I adore both lead actors, and vampires in general, yet I still found this movie to be almost unbearably tedious, and dry. *pouts*
½ September 22, 2016
Tilda Swinton delivers an excellent performance in a story that summons the film's title in its very last minute.
September 19, 2016
This isn't Twilight. But that doesn't make the vampires any less brooding. Swinton and Hiddleston sleepwalk through the 'material', giving it an air of artistry and meaning. But it's just an air, and it wears off extremely quick. Apart from the stylish look and a few interesting quirks this was a massive letdown.
½ September 3, 2016
We are not watchers of vampire movies but were enthralled by this. The elements of dark locations, brilliant casting and performances present a world weariness that can be embraced far beyond vampire formula. Formula it is not. Jarmusch it is. Giving the film a depth of humour, a depth of music and all manner of allusions. The most rewarding and uplifting dose ever slowly told, of darkness deep in ennui, sustained anxiety just below the surface.
½ August 11, 2016
The underlying premise of any vampire movie is "what if your friendly nice neighbor is a scary vampire?" Jim Jarmusch asks the question differently: "what if the scary vampire is actually your friendly nice neighbor?" Lovers Left Alive pumps new blood into the vampire genre (pun intended) and explores the soft and vulnerable - almost mundane - side of the blood-thirsty creatures.
Thanks to the out-of-this-world, dreamy ambiance Jarmusch masterfully creates, watching the film feels like being under drug effect; you're enjoying the mesmerizing images and music while contemplating the main characters' unfolding relations and existential ordeals.
As a literature student, I love all the literary allusions the film is ripe with. Even Adam and Eve's (Hiddleston and Swinton) relationship feels like it came straight out one of the imaginary worlds created by Poe or Byron.
Tom Hiddleston is good but the one who really stands out in all her exquisite beauty, grace and talent is Tilda Swinton as the ultimate motherly female figure/vampire.
August 1, 2016
As an art film, "Only Lovers Left Alive" is beautiful, stylish and meditative. As a vampire flick, it's boring, aimless and anemic. Whether you like the movie or not will depend heavily on what you're looking for.
½ July 27, 2016
Probably two of the coolest vampires ever put on screen. A movie that makes you ponder what's wrong with humanity, with out being preachy. Plus a soundtrack that will make you wish you were as cool as the main characters.
July 8, 2016
Great performances and set pieces, but shockingly boring.
July 8, 2016
If you could describe it with a word. Opiate comes to mind.
June 24, 2016
Enjoyed the music in this movie as well as how it seemed true love was portrayed, way to modernize vampires well.
½ June 22, 2016
total and utter dross. don't bother.
I couldn't wait to see this based on rotten tomatoes high reviews but as it dragged and dragged all the way through I kept waiting for the big exciting amazing high score on screen.
it never came. sort yourself out rotten tomatoes. get a wider audience that these high score giving over educated luvvies.
get in touch with the common working man someday so I can get some decent honest non reviews
½ June 17, 2016
Pretentious, predictable crap.
½ June 14, 2016
45%
Saw this on 14/6/16
It's undenyable that the film showcases a more realistic and authentic view of vampires, but like most of the Jim Jarmusch films, this one is also boring and slow paced. One more sad thing is that though realistic, the life of vampires is ultimately not worth it and one would feel happy that they can die and not be like these vamps.
June 3, 2016
Beautiful, to be sure, but Only Lovers Left Alive is under-explored and lacks conflict for all but its second act.
½ May 30, 2016
Evocative and atmospheric but pretentious and slow. I may need to watch this again because the first time I grew bored.
May 29, 2016
I think this is the best vampire movie I've ever seen. I know that it's not really a strong genre but this is an impressive film. Jim Jarmusch seems to have keep the good things he is known for and learnt to use them to make films that are not boring, thank god. Good soundtrack too.
May 12, 2016
Imaginative, creative, unique, & heart-melting, Tom Hiddleston & Tilda Swinton perfected these performances as this century-old vampire couple. Josef Van Wissem perfected the calming, enjoyable music soundtrack that highly suggest everyone to download. The costumes & makeup (including the wigs) are amazing. The story itself leaves you at the edge of your seat in this vampiric drama/thriller. & last but not least, Jim Jarmusch perfected the screenplay & story (in general, the entire film) like a masterpiece. This is definitely one of the greatest romance films & one of the best vampire films, especially those, of course, that involve in a love story. It honestly makes me appreciate life more.