The Outrage Reviews

• Dec 14, 2019

Pretty much a "Why did this need to get remade?" movie. In this case, Rashomon is pretty much exactly remade, only this time it's a western. Some curious casting abound, from William Shatner as a priest, to Paul Newman as a mexican bandit (!!). All in all, pretty good, if you absolutely don't like watching classic Japanese movies.

• May 19, 2019

Akin to Sergio Leone's "A Fistful of Dollars" it is a great homage to Akira Kurosawa's "Rashomon".

• Jan 10, 2019

Quatro Confissões (1964) #MovieReview 3,5 �� Em tempestade, aguardando o trem, três homens discutem sob crime e julgamento de criminoso, sob a óptica das diferentes versões dos envolvidos no acontecido. Adaptação de filme anterior de Kurosawa. Bom filme!

• Jul 28, 2016

This movie is inspirae by Japanese film "Rashomon". Con-man Edward G. Robinson listens to a story of a trial held recently in the town as told by a prospector Howard Da Silva and a preacher William Shatner. 3 witnesses give different story to the death of Laurence Harvey whose body is found in the desert. First version is Paul Newman, a brutal and famous outlaw who is caught, admit to the crime. He wanted to rob and rape Claire Bloom, the wife of Laurence while traveling on their wagon. He tied him up instead of killing him like usual. Later they both have a duel to defend Claire honor and he killed him. Second version is Claire version. She killed Laurence herself when Paul left after raping, she untie him but he look at her with disgust. She stab him with agony and sadness and run into the wild. Third version is a Indian doctor who found Laurence before his death. He says Laurence told him he killed himself because he couldn't live with the humiliation. Claire wanted to leave with Paul and he rejected her. So Laurence suicide. Howard later reveal all the versions are not truth and he admit to witness it all. The rape did happen. But Claire wanted the 2 men to duel and fight for her. The 2 turns out to be "coward" of sort. She reveal Laurence always tremble and puke before going to war. Laurence know Claire has been unfaithful and flirt with few men. Under her constant nagging, the 2 men duel and Laurence wanted to stab Paul with the knife but he tripped and fell with the knife stabbed himself and die. The weapon is never found. Then the 3 men hear a baby crying. Edward check the pocket and there's some gold coins which he take. Howard say he is coyote and want him to put it back. Edward at this point reveal he know that Howard took the weapon that has ruby and jewel. William question why he did that and he have a wife and five children to feed and that knife can feed them after pawning. Edward call for the arriving train. William trust Howard and let him take the baby.

• Dec 10, 2015

Initially intriguing, though overwrought, but ultimately pointless and silly. A Hollywood adaptation of Akira Kurosawa's "Rashomon". Three men meet at a deserted station in the middle of nowhere. Soon their discussion turns to the trial that occurred in the nearby town the previous say. The trial concerned the death of a man. Three people claim they killed him, and we see their version of the events. Who is correct and why are two of them (at least...) lying? From the outset there is a degree of unnecessary complexity about the script. The script is overly wordy, almost to the point of being Shakespearean, and feels padded. The plot is quite interesting but as it goes on it becomes less and less plausible, and feels complex just for the sake of it. Soon the holes appear, none of which are filled in by the end of the movie. After a point the implausibility and complexity have descended into farce. The last few scenes are quite silly and ultimately you're left wondering what the point was and even possibly what the story was... The casting provides some interesting appearances. Paul Newman puts in a good, almost over-the-top, performance as the Mexican bandit. William Shatner is there, as a preacher (two years later Star Trek started...). Edward G Robinson gets the role of the verbose swindler (he is largely responsible for my "Shakespearean" comment). Laurence Harvey and Claire Bloom put in reasonably solid performances as the married couple. To be honest, even though many regard Rashomon as a classic, I don't. The plot for The Outrage demonstrates why Rashomon is overrated.

• Aug 03, 2014

wow.....ummmm just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie......i think that paul newman (.R.I.P.), laurence harvey (.R.I.P.), claire bloom, edward g robinson (.R.I.P.), william shatner, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......i think that the director of this western/drama/action/adventure/mystery/suspense movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throguhout this movie.....i have never seen the original 1950's version of this movie but i think that this is a great remake of a movie.......i think that paul newman (.R.I.P.), as Carrasco throughout this movie was really good.......i think that this is such a beautifully directed movie 2 watch......its got a great cast throughout this movie......i think that this is a really powerful drama movie 2 watch.......i think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch.......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie......i think that the gun shoot out when the girl frees her husband was really funny in this movie.......i think that this is such an underrated movie 2 watch but it is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie......i think that this is such a brilliant classics movie 2 watch its such an enjoyable movie 2 watch it is a really good movie 2 watch.....i think that paul fix (.R.I.P.), was great throughout this movie.....i think that this is such a brilliant black/white movie 2 watch it is such a classics movie 2 watch its got a good cast throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch but it is such a really enjoyable movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie it is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch...

• Mar 31, 2014

a american remake of the jap classic 'rashomon'

a american remake of the jap classic 'rashomon'

• Dec 22, 2013

The shepherd is running away from the wolves. A reverend at a train station is approached by a stranger. The stranger asks him what he is doing, and the reverend tells him a tale of murder, victims, and outrage by the locals. The murder was so heinous, he has decided to stop following his faith and leave the town. The stranger asks for all of the details of the murder so he can try to understand what acts could be so bad for a reverend to lose his faith and direction. "People see what they want to see and say what they want to hear." Martin Ritt, director of Hud, Hombre, The Spy Who Came In From the Cold, Nuts, Norma Rae, The Great White Hope (1970), Paris Blues, and The Black Orchid, delivers The Outrage. The storyline for this picture is very methodical but contains brilliant subplots, character development, and wonderful dialogue. The acting is remarkable and the cast includes Paul Newman, William Shatner, Laurence Harvey, Edward Robinson, and Claire Bloom. "All four of them lied." The Outrage was a movie I had to DVR since it starred the great Paul Newman. I was shocked he was playing a Hispanic man and his performances actually reminded me of Marlon Brando's performance in The Teahouse of the August Moon. This is an awesome movie that comes together perfectly in the end. I strongly recommend seeing this underrated gem and potentially adding it to your DVD collection. This is definitely a first rate thriller. "I don't murder. I kill." Grade: A-

• Dec 18, 2013

131220: Not having seen this "Rashomon", I like to think my view of this film is a little less biased. I like this movie except for a couple minor points. Right out of the gate I was sucked in. It reminded me of "The Ox-Bow Incident", another black and white western classic. A couple well-known actors. A unique and meaningful story presented in an equally unique and meaningful way. Midway through, a little bad acting combined with some poor special effects tempered my enthusiasm a bit, but I will no doubt be watching this movie again, if not acquiring it for my collection. I'll have to research how was received when released in 1964? Have a strong desire to know more about this film which is a good thing. And, I'll likely watch this "Rashomon" now. Just have to know.

• Oct 21, 2012

Impressive stuff from Paul Newman as Carrasco the coyote desiring the excellent Claire Boom. A young William Shatner played a wooden preacher.