Papillon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Papillon Reviews

October 7, 2016
I love both Dustin and Steve but this movie failed to keep me engaged, didn't finish watching the whole movie.
July 29, 2016
Tied with Bullitt for third best McQueen film, Papillon is a smart and entertaining motion picture with a bittersweet ending and a plethora of emotional scenes. Franklin J. Schaffner delivers yet another great film.
July 22, 2016
With an excellent performance by Steve McQueen and a stunning cinematography that employs a large depth of field to explore the setting and thus the gravity of the situation, this compelling prison film works so very well despite losing some of its credibility in the third act.
June 22, 2016
A great movie, I loved it ! Saw it in '73 bought and have enjoyed seeing eveyo
½ April 13, 2016
Papillon (Steve McQueen) was sent to a penal colony on Devil's Island for a crime of passion. He's been trying to break out of there ever since. Derived from the memoirs of Henri Cherriere, Papillon gives Steve McQueen plenty of material for pathos, triumph, and tragedy. His performance dominates the film, but Dustin Hoffman's turn as a callow inmate is noteworthy in more than a few scenes. Overall, Papillon has an endearing slow burn that makes it a minor treasure of its era.
March 12, 2016
Hey you bastards, I'm still here!

Two men are locked up in a unique prison on a deserted island. They try to plan their escape but one of the men is consistently in solitary confinement. The other man has the money to buy their release, but it's hard to work well together. The man in solitary confinement gets desperate and eventually they make an elaborate escape effort.

"Your friend is kind of quiet, isn't he?"
"He's dead."

Franklin Schaffner, director of Patton, Planet of the Apes, Lionheart, The Stripper, The Good Years, The War Lord, Islands in the Stream, and Welcome Home, delivers Papillion. The storyline for this picture is well paced and contains excellent characters. It does run a bit long but the acting is very good. The cast includes Steve McQueen, Dustin Hoffman, Victor Jory, Don Gordon, and Val Avery.

"How do you fail an examination like this?"

I came across this on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and had to watch it. I am a huge McQueen fan and this was a unique character for him. It was good, and he was great, but the overall film could have been better and shorter. I recommend seeing this once but wouldn't add it to my collection.

"You owe me nothing."

Grade: B+/A-
½ February 14, 2016
Interesting plot and well acted.
January 5, 2016
Saw this on 4/1/16
The incredibly unbelievable true story of Papillon is what sets it apart from many prison break films despite it's glacially slow pace. In this Steve McQueen epic, prison escape is extremely different from his own The Great Escape. The escape has no real point, it's simply a desperation of the character to break free and it may or may not be the right thing to do. Steve McQueen provides a terrific performance as the titular character with unbelievable character transformation shown in a mainstream cinema and Hoffman equally contributes. The film has a few strongly memorable scenes, definitely.
½ November 17, 2015
Incredible movie. Timeless performances.
October 31, 2015
Papillon give me the toughness of living.
2nd, BS, 2015/11/1
October 26, 2015
Steve McQeen stretches a bit, and he reaches. Hoffman greatly dives into the role with shear pleasure. Carried by the performances, but greatly so.
½ September 1, 2015
A good enough prison escape drama. Hoffman and McQueen are phenomenal, but it is difficult to overlook the overly long run time and the awkward national geographic-type nudity.
½ August 29, 2015
Near perfect prison-escape-buddy drama. McQueen's best.
August 9, 2015
Freedom is the most important thing for prisoner Papillon. and his longing for freedom is stronger than longing for living.... excellent roles created by Steve and Dustin....
August 7, 2015
Steve McQueen as Papillon is sent to the French Guyana prison camp on Devil's Island for murder. On the road he makes friends Louis Dega, a counterfeiter, and their friendship lasts quite a long time, this proves that this is the only thing that makes 2 men to hang on to as the long years of captivity.

McQueen and Hoffman are excellent, director Franklin J. Schaffner creates an great atmosphere in the prison as well as in the jungle.
July 25, 2015
McQueen is great, but the film feels slow in part because the emotional rationale to root for the escape is lacking.
May 24, 2015
ihan ok nšinki vanhaks
May 23, 2015
- I've now seen this film several time, I quite like it. Based on a true story, it's a fascinating prison escape film. Both McQueen and Hoffman do great work. Highly recommended!

- This is a great film about the persistence of the human spirit. Steve McQueen play a man "wrongfully convicted" of murder and sent to notorious Devil's Island prison in Vienna where he suffers sub-human treatment. He has many attempts at escape and even succeeds once, but id returned to the prison. Dustin Hoffman play his friend and accomplice in escape attempts. This is probably McQueen's best performance. highly recommended!
May 10, 2015
Incredibly moving and exquisite acting from McQueen and Hoffman!
½ May 5, 2015
A stirring drama about two convicts (played by Dustin Hoffman & Steve McQueen) who basically continue to inspire to escape the French Algiers prison they are sentenced to.

This film centers on there perfect performances & their will & dedication none more so than Steve McQueen's character.

The environment they are in seems to continually push them forward & it's an enthralling adventure. I recommend highly a very effective drama.