Parental Guidance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Parental Guidance Reviews

½ February 8, 2017
This is a heartwarming movie about relationships. Both Bette Middler and Billy Crystal make the movie fun. It's good clean fun for all to enjoy!
½ January 20, 2017
a little bit cheezy at times, but, good overall family movie to be enjoyed during the holidays
January 16, 2017
Harmless classic family comedy good for what is it. Don't expect anything more.
January 2, 2017
This has some good messages that it clearly wants to get across. The bit about parents not overindulging kids and learning to say no. The bit about mums not being too hard on themselves trying to be the perfect parent. The bit about not neglecting the husband because after the kids leave, he's the one who stays. It's full of these moral messages. It's never hilarious, but it's got one or two bits that raise a smile.

But it's an 'oboe movie', and that ruins it for me. You know how Hallmark movies always have an oboe and a plinky plunky piano to give you an audio cue that you're meant to be feeling heart-warmed? Even though it's not Hallmark, it's got a lot of that. Which makes the emotion feel contrived and forced. And as the time passes it also gets a little boring.

Might be different if you have kids, but otherwise, you're not missing anything here.
½ November 23, 2016
Superb family friendly film along the lines of Cheaper By The Dozen. Billy Crystal is a gem!
November 12, 2016
this is clearly a kids movie and only for kids because adults will find to be boring. the humor is predictable for adults but kids won't see it coming at times. there is not a single girl on the planet who eats ice cream or cake for the first time at twelve years old. the parents are awful and if they weren't in the movie, it would be better. it would be way better. is there really anything else left for me to say? the littlest kid takes orders from his imaginary friend and they have a funeral for when it dies.

Owens grade: C-
½ November 8, 2016
Parental Guidance is not unbearably bad, but still not that great.
September 19, 2016
Now days, Billy Crystal doesn't appear in films as often as he used to, but for the right project and cast, he's always willing to remind us of why he's a household name. It doesn't matter if it's a raunchy comedy or a family film, his quirky and unique sense of humor always makes whatever he stars in that much more enjoyable and Parental Guidance is no different. On the surface, this is just another family comedy about Grandma and Grandpa getting in over their heads when they agree to babysit for the weekend. Add Crystal and Bette Midler to that and all of a sudden the film is taken to a whole other level. Everyone knows what to expect from both Crystal and Midler, but the real magic is their chemistry and how they play off each other, especially when you throw three unpredictable kids into the mix. Some of the scenes with the grandparents trying to use the modern technology or the kids taking advantage of the grandparents lack of respect for their parents strict instructions are truly laugh out loud funny. Yes, that's exactly what I said, it's a PG rated family movie, but it has more than a couple of laugh out loud moments. Parental Guidance is a film that the parents and grandparents will want to see for it's terrific cross-generational cast, but the kids will enjoy it too, for both it's old school and modern humor. It's the perfect rainy day weekend family feature film.
½ September 17, 2016
Really stupid and not really that funny than it was supposed to be. Billy Crystal can do better than this
½ July 1, 2016
Parental Guidance is hilarious and heartwarming. Parental Guidance makes a great family movie. This movie has the perfect plot too. I would very much suggest this movie.
June 19, 2016
As a basic family film, this movie does exactly what it's supposed to. It's light, fun, and a great family movie. It's not terribly deep but it deals with real issues in a funny and sweet way that's going to get smiles out of every age group watching. An easy watch with an adorable cast of kids, I would definitely recommend this for a lazy night in with the family.
June 13, 2016
Parental Guidance is the perfect feel-good movie for all families. Also, give me more Marisa Tomei.
March 12, 2016
parental guidance o S.O.S familia en apuros es una pelicula de comedia protagonizada por billy crystal, bette midler, marisa tomei y tom everett scott dirigida por andy fickman conocido por dirigir peliculas de comedia como heroe de centro comercial 2, la montaña embrujada, otra vez tu, ella es el chico, papa por sorpresa ,etc.
la pelicula cuenta con artie simmons (billy crystall) , acostumbrado a estar siempre a su par cuando el y su esposa diane simmons(bette midler) , a quien le encanta complacer a los demas , aceptan cuidar a sus 3 nietos cuando sus padres hiperactivos como helicópteros ( marisa tomei, tom everett scott) salen a trabajar . pero cuando los problemas del siglo 21 chocan con los métodos de la vieja escuela de artie y diane de reglas estrictas, mucho amor y juegos anticuados ,es aprender ser flexible - y no mantenerse firme - lo que hace que una familia se mantenga unida.
la pelicula es una comedia que funciona, buenos chistes y divertida y disfrutable para ver en familia, si es una buena comedia, no como la pesima pelicula de vacaciones (2015) y la tonteria de pelicula de adam sandler y wionna ryder ( mr deeds).
March 4, 2016
This one of Billy Crystal's funniest if not best works yet.
January 11, 2016
I love Bailee Madison movies
December 27, 2015
Parental guidance is just another funny kids movie, although the ratings were not great, the humor is pretty original and I've watched it several times.
½ September 29, 2015
Ugh. Where to start? Someone sprung this one on me and as soon as I saw Bette Midler, I knew this kind of "comedy" is not my thing. I sat through 45 minutes of 'Parental Guidance' and the only thing it made me realize is that everything about this movie is trying too hard to be funny.

The story is as generic as can be. 'Modern' parents want a week away from their kids and recruit the unwanted grandparents to babysit their kids. Cue the far-fetched generation-gap skits.

The acting, for the most part, is sub-par to cringeworthy. Billy Crystal and Bette Midler do try, but their supposed grandkids and their mom Marisa Tomei are as unconvincing, forced, rehearsed and 25th-take as they get.

So yeah, I wrote this review after just 45 minutes. My guess?? All generations bond eventually and put their differences aside cause they all have something to learn from each other. And they all live happily ever after.

If you care just as little to find out what really happens at the end of a generic tale like this one, then avoid this movie. YOU'll be the one living happily ever after.

Pros: None.
Cons: Generic, unconvincing, forced.
Verdict: AVOID!
September 20, 2015
What a sweet movie, with great performances by all. Was it clicheish - who cares! My hubby and eye had tears in our eyes, and love the emphasis on family......
August 27, 2015
A very good family comedy.
½ August 22, 2015
What is with all if the bad ratings? Billy Crystal was really funny and he did great! This movie was full of comedy and I recommend it! Screw the critics