Parental Guidance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Parental Guidance Reviews

June 18, 2018
I love Billy Crystal, which is why I wanted to see this movie. Given his love for baseball, it didn't surprise me to see it littered throughout the film. And, as a parent of older children, the subject matter interested me. However, this film follows the low-brow trail blazed by "Meet the Parents" and other unfunny comedies like it. The film was about 25 minutes too long, all at the beginning of the film. It doesn't get partially interesting until the first little league game and it doesn't get tolerable until Marissa Tomei leaves town. Casting is questionable as I have no idea who thought Marissa Tomei, of Italian descent, would be the daughter of two NY parents of Jewish descent. "Parental Guidance" has a very sweet message, but it is average, at best, overall.
June 9, 2018
This movie is so funny. I think its amazing and i just liked it all!!!
March 22, 2018
It's a very funny movie with a lot of relatable things. Probably one of my favorite movies of all time, and I can watch it over and over again.
March 20, 2018
Easily one of the most boring, irritating, manipulative and pointless movies I've ever seen.
March 3, 2018
Seeing a lot of bad reviews and hard to understand why. This is a comedy for both children and adults to enjoy. Because of when it was released, I've been able to see it as both and found laugh-out-loud moments both ways. It's inoffensive and is genuinely heart-warming. I think that because of the pure innocence, many people would say that there wasn't really a point to the film. I would argue that there should be more films like this: funny, pure, and applicable to generations.
February 26, 2018
I don't hate this movie as much as most people do. It's sweet, occasionally funny, well acted,and heartfelt. A fun, forgettable family comedy.
½ January 21, 2018
absolute poop, would have been better just to make a film about the kids imaginary friend.
November 12, 2017
This film is bad for sure. Though it is inoffensive and it never made me angry though. Some jokes were good but this is just a forgettable movie for me.
September 2, 2017
TV version but very cute.
½ August 9, 2017
It's funny. Critics 17%? GodDAMN it was WAY better
June 18, 2017
it's a nice film . make you feel a beauty of life
½ April 30, 2017
Can't believe I ever thought this was a good movie.
½ February 8, 2017
This is a heartwarming movie about relationships. Both Bette Middler and Billy Crystal make the movie fun. It's good clean fun for all to enjoy!
½ January 20, 2017
a little bit cheezy at times, but, good overall family movie to be enjoyed during the holidays
January 16, 2017
Harmless classic family comedy good for what is it. Don't expect anything more.
January 2, 2017
This has some good messages that it clearly wants to get across. The bit about parents not overindulging kids and learning to say no. The bit about mums not being too hard on themselves trying to be the perfect parent. The bit about not neglecting the husband because after the kids leave, he's the one who stays. It's full of these moral messages. It's never hilarious, but it's got one or two bits that raise a smile.

But it's an 'oboe movie', and that ruins it for me. You know how Hallmark movies always have an oboe and a plinky plunky piano to give you an audio cue that you're meant to be feeling heart-warmed? Even though it's not Hallmark, it's got a lot of that. Which makes the emotion feel contrived and forced. And as the time passes it also gets a little boring.

Might be different if you have kids, but otherwise, you're not missing anything here.
½ November 23, 2016
Superb family friendly film along the lines of Cheaper By The Dozen. Billy Crystal is a gem!
November 12, 2016
this is clearly a kids movie and only for kids because adults will find to be boring. the humor is predictable for adults but kids won't see it coming at times. there is not a single girl on the planet who eats ice cream or cake for the first time at twelve years old. the parents are awful and if they weren't in the movie, it would be better. it would be way better. is there really anything else left for me to say? the littlest kid takes orders from his imaginary friend and they have a funeral for when it dies.

Owens grade: C-
½ November 8, 2016
Parental Guidance is not unbearably bad, but still not that great.
September 19, 2016
Now days, Billy Crystal doesn't appear in films as often as he used to, but for the right project and cast, he's always willing to remind us of why he's a household name. It doesn't matter if it's a raunchy comedy or a family film, his quirky and unique sense of humor always makes whatever he stars in that much more enjoyable and Parental Guidance is no different. On the surface, this is just another family comedy about Grandma and Grandpa getting in over their heads when they agree to babysit for the weekend. Add Crystal and Bette Midler to that and all of a sudden the film is taken to a whole other level. Everyone knows what to expect from both Crystal and Midler, but the real magic is their chemistry and how they play off each other, especially when you throw three unpredictable kids into the mix. Some of the scenes with the grandparents trying to use the modern technology or the kids taking advantage of the grandparents lack of respect for their parents strict instructions are truly laugh out loud funny. Yes, that's exactly what I said, it's a PG rated family movie, but it has more than a couple of laugh out loud moments. Parental Guidance is a film that the parents and grandparents will want to see for it's terrific cross-generational cast, but the kids will enjoy it too, for both it's old school and modern humor. It's the perfect rainy day weekend family feature film.