Parenthood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Parenthood Reviews

½ March 14, 2017
When we have always kept an eye on the ball game. When others rather pay someone to keep an eye on us. When it's our turn to keep an eye on somethings and wonder why what was so bad? When we turn out good others turn out bad when we don't keep an eye on. When somethings shut the door and lock us out to keep an eye on. When it's always nice to eye one another when we set out time to unite in traditional unions. When some eyes are not on others when we spent our whole life eyeing them. When our eyes are on other things that are different and surprise when they enter the door. When what we eye on we enjoy when they are a beauty, make us happy, keep us entertained, and have to nurture. When other things we don't eye we don't like other people eyeing when it's embarrassing. When our eyes are on the future and need to gain income to raise a family. When our past reveals where our eyes have been on this whole time. When our eyes rather see everyone together, perfect, loving and happy but it doesn't turn out that way and we blame others and ourselves. When we need to keep more than eye on some people when it's more time. When we don't keep an eye on some things we allow them to continue shutting us out when we don't understand them. When it's hard to keep an eye on everything but we manage to do when we have work, family, team sports, bonding time, and appointments to keep an eye on and schedule. When somethings we keep an eye on but others are not we make sure we get what we want. When we eye a future where we made a difference. When we have only eyes for someone that we see our whole lives with. When what we don't eye we don't want others to see when it's illegal and we could get in trouble. When everyone keeps an eye on their own kids and some on other kids when winning is everything, when it comes to bets, nurturing confidence, building skills and just winning. When all eyes are on us when it counts to let them down. When we eye the disappointed when they had faith in our judgement that everything would be okay. When what we don't keep an eye leads to mischief or want to leave. When other doors shut on us that we naturally don't want any eyes on anyone whom dont want eyes on us when we are not wanted. When what we eye we don't understand or relate. When what we eye we think looks and acts weird that are different then us. When we rather eye somethings and give it a positive perspective and spin to their actions. When what we eye we never expected in what see when it's revealed to us. When we only eye pleasing our friends after letting them down. When what we eye is the next best thing when we save the day. When what we eye is a great dad that don't let's us down and do anything for us. When we like that our children eye us this way when that's all we want their acceptance. When we don't want others to eye us when we are hiding somethings, when we caught breaking in and causing damage. When what we don't see or eye we assume when we put two and two together. When what we don't keep an eye on we allow others to do alone. When what we see or keep an eye we relate when we were once that age.
When what we don't eye it comes a surprise to us on somethings that we need a deeper look and closer eye on. When others suffer the same tendencies like us but different when we handled it at a young age and know how to take care of some issues. When we don't realize it only when someone eyes us. When our eyes are not on the road when it's rolled to the back of head when we don't pay attention to what's in front of us. When other things we don't want others to keep an eye on when we got issues. When our eyes is on our life and self when we need help. When we only eye quick money and payouts to lose. When somethings we don't keep an eye on but they turn out alright until their life depends on it.
When some people areveyeing what we used to eye. When we only want to keep an eye on is our child's development to care what others are eyeing. When we can no longer eye those we used to eye to leave. When we  like what we eye to stay a little longer or share with those we see eye to eye with. When those whom we don't see eye to eye with we leave. When we establish the truth and dominance to know we aren't eyeing somethings. When we trust other people's eye when they steer us to a good thing or bad thing. When our eyes see a pattern when all eyes point to the same result. When we can judge based on our eyes to know some people we eye whom wouldn't seem to enjoy those things to close our eyes on somethings and open our eyes on other things. When eye is only on those whom can be able, reliable when we count on them. When we don't want to keep an eye on some things we can't take right now when our eye is on something else. When our eye didn't see somethings coming to somethings being an eye opener to our reality. When new news means we have to refocus our eyes on something new to expect. When we dread eyeing somethings when we have to eye people we put down. When all we need to do is practice keeping an eye on things to be good. When we need another eye on some topics we are not good at to know how to deal with those whom are bad? When we never think that we have eyes on somethings to bail us out when our eyes is wired to sure bets that win. When our eyes are fixed on when we are young growing up to know that we can't abandon those when they are down. When it counts the most our eyes were on the ball and we pull through. When our eyes are on recovery but other eyes are not. When our eyes don't reveal how we feel when we are let down. When ours see we have a second chance at being somethings we never were. When some people we wish not to eye when we are working. When all eyes are on us when we don't care and have an eye on one thing. When we care more of the eyes we are responsible for to adding another one when they show their eyes are sweet and sensitive from the first moment we met. When we have an eye for danger to risk it all when it's our dream that we can't give up. When anything can go wrong when our eyes work but everything else fails to come out it alive. When we only have eye on what is loaned to us to suffer another consequence rather then a severe one. When what others eye and love, we do too when we only want everyone's happiness. When what we eye we know through experience when we were once young, in love and know what is expected. When we wish we could see some eyes in person when they offer us a lot for being a dedicated hard worker. When some eyes whom are meant to be wise are outdated to help, but sometimes they do when they are simple eyes that appreciates the small things. When we can have all other things resolved for us to have nothing else to eye and focus on when we don't when we are hard headed in some issues. When some things we eye are cute and enjoy seeing when but don't see that way to put a stop to it. When somethings we eye we never expect the worse to happen but it's not all bad when they are kids and we only have eyes for someone's happiness when they want this "Rollercoaster of madness". When we have all eyes on the new member of the family whom awakens in this world to eye whom they are a part with. Bunch of eyes of all ages, sizes, and personalities ready to keep an eye on you and wait for you to add more eyes in the mix. When what we don't eye is all our family are alike and have the same tendencies as others but don't share and are far apart. When we eye the next best thing whom are closer to us and can relate to somethings.
January 8, 2017
One of my favorite comedies as a child and (now) adult.
½ January 7, 2017
Parenthood is a warm and light family dramedy, that even though stumbles upon clichés along the way, it boasts a great ensemble cast to keep it solid.
December 23, 2016
This is one of Steve Martin's best films, and I could watch this movie again and again. The most poignant scenes, for me, are with Helen and her children. It is easy to see their attributes and, also, their flaws. I like movies where I can learn about situations outside of my own, and this movie does just that. It also made me laugh but, more often, it just made me smile.
½ July 26, 2016
As the title suggests, "Parenthood" is an insightful comedy about bringing up children that's heartwarmingly funny.
July 14, 2016
Solid comedy with great story telling and strong characters
June 23, 2016
This movie still really stands the test of time, an also, being a lover of the TV show that was based on it, I now see a lot more similarities between the TV and movie families. The only mis-step is that there's a comedic mass-shooter scene where a father envisions he's messed up his child who becomes a gunman, but how was 1989 Hollywood to know that was to become our reality?
June 15, 2016
An old film I have not seen. Great performance from Steve Martin with some genuine laughs and one of the first ever roles for Keanu Reeves too. What I liked most about this was that is was more relatable and believable than other films about dysfunctional families and the characters actually had depth.
May 24, 2016
5/23/2016: More drama than comedy which was disappointing. A great cast and story, but I was hoping for more laughs.
½ February 1, 2016
one roller coaster sound effect away from perfect.
January 2, 2016
Bitter sweet comedy, dysfunctional family and relatives try and cope with what life throws at them. Only film ever to make me feel broody!
½ January 1, 2016
Life is like a roller coaster.
December 17, 2015
An underrated classic. Great ensemble cast featuring Steve Martin at his finest. I've liked this movie since I first watched it on my grandparents Black Box back in the day. Hasn't aged a day.
October 25, 2015
Like some of Ron Howard's work, too sitcom-safe to really be a total home run. Very middle of the road movie, but it's a nice road to travel down the middle of - with an exceptional cast.

As much a drama as a comedy, despite the presence of Martin and Moranis. Both get a couple of broad moments to satisfy their comedy fans (eg Cowboy Gil, the baseball pitch happy dance) but both play more nuanced characters than their earlier screwball stuff. This film is more about dealing with the lows of parenthood (kids with learning/emotional issues, kids getting married or pregnant too young, kids discovering monkeys to be spanked) than it is about celebrating the highs. But the film deals with these challenges in a way that has such affection and empathy for the characters, that the film earns the humour in is comedic moments, and the joy in the uplifting ones. The final scene - especially the wonderful slow pan across (almost) the entire ensemble is beautifully conceived and executed...and an exquisite, wordless evocation of "what it's all about" - as my neighbour said to me after my son was born. Life, really.

But mostly, this film lives up to its title. And yet it's really more about "fatherhood" than "parenthood", with the focus more on Martin, Moranis and Robards than on their respective spouses. The exception to this is Dianne Wiest - who delivers the standout perf in the film (and not for the first time). But the entire ensemble is great. Robards is typically proficient, although his arc from a dad worse than Darth Vader to merely a grumpy old (but loveable) man is a little too Hollywoodised, especially considering his wife is wallpaper here. Hulce is too much a cardboard douche to resonate - perhaps he had some more sympathetic stuff cut. Otherwise, all the subplots and characters work to one degree or another.

Martin does neurotic winner (as opposed to loser) better than anyone, and he certainly portrays a devoted father here, but as a husband...well he comes across as a bit of a bastard, to be honest - spitting out invective at a world-weary (and generally lovely) Steenburgen with an uncomfortable savagery at times. But oddly, I bought their relationship...I accepted that the wife was well used to shrugging off the husband's incensed rants as mere steam-release venting. And the actors sell the softer moments of the marriage nicely too.

Speaking of which, I screened this for Hue recently as we have just become parents ourselves. I never thought she had seen the film before, and I don't think she really HAD ever watched it, with much attention, anyway. But halfway through the movie, she turns to me and says: "I've seen this. She gives him a blowjob in the car while he's driving. And they crash". It's funny what you remember.

I also remember some of the funny dialogue of Parenthood. Some samples:

Keanu: "You know, Mrs. Buckman, you need a license to buy a dog, or drive a car. Hell, you need a license to catch a fish! But they'll let any butt-reaming asshole be a father."

Plimpton: "He said that he loved me."
Wiest: "Men say that. They all say that. Then they cum."

But the quote I've always recalled most from Parenthood is Steve Martin's bitter, resigned Gil spitting out a phrase that he makes sound pretty bad, but isn't, necessarily...something that perfectly encapsulates the experience that this movie gets its title from:

"My whole life is "HAVE TO""

Yep.
September 21, 2015
Though not without its moments of groan-inducing schmaltz, this classic does a good job at capturing a big ol' slice of the parenting experience through relatable emotions and often hilarious situations.

The brilliant cast -- all getting opportunities to flex comedic or dramatic chops that audiences aren't used to seeing -- really elevate the proceedings and provide characters who are enjoyable to watch throughout the emotional highs and lows.

Whether you're a child or parent, were born in the 80s or 90s, or have grown up kids or little ones, there's something really nostalgic about this film, its setting, and its content. While not perfect (many of the more mature moments of comedy seem a bit out of place, for instance), you'll see something of your life in here somewhere, and offer a few well-deserved chuckles.
½ August 4, 2015
This is a fine movie that is full of humor, as well as some real touching moments. It's about how a family interacts not only in society, but with each other. Every person's strengths and faults are on display, and the portrayals by this ensemble cast are right on target. Steve Martin, as Gill, is probably the central character here, & he has to deal not only with the hypocracy in the work force, but with his tempermental and sensitive son. I thought that the storyline was well developed, and that the characters seemed true to life. Ron Howard did an excellent job of directing. The ending is very bittersweet, as even with the multi births and the happiness shown on the faces of the family members, you can also notice them in pensive poses, as though wondering what life will have in store for each of them, as well as the new additions. A good, thought-provoking movie indeed
½ June 15, 2015
A cute depiction of the challenges of parenting.
June 3, 2015
One of my favorite movies and seeing it again was a treat. A wonderful cast and Steve Martin at his very best give great performances that bring to life the warm, funny, touching story of all that is best and worst about family, with the inspiring message that the best wins out in the end, or that there are always ups to balance the downs. This is the kind of film that is a true classic, never dated.
May 15, 2015
This movie is definitely one of Ron Howard's best.
April 16, 2015
Felt forced......a Hollywood contrived version of the family that stays together through thick and thin.