Paris, Texas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paris, Texas Reviews

March 11, 2018
Intense and well crafted. Everything works just fine.
February 17, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
February 2, 2018
One of those movies that draws you into the story and will not let go! I miss movies this good..
January 12, 2018
I'm surprised and pleased to see that so many people liked this movie as well as I did; I'm just a wierdo, not a snob. OK, kind of a snob. You know, part of the elite that composes the "deep state", and has no money, that nobody listens to when he whines, and has absolutely no effect on domestic or foreign policy. It's even better than "My Little Pony: The Movie."
December 28, 2017
An above average road movie following a broken man recovering from a failed romance set against the majestic vistas of the southwestern US. The musical score by Ry Cooder captures the essence of beauty and melancholy perfectly. This is not the America Hollywood would advertise, this is the America inhabited by millions of forgotten people, who now find a voice in a young German filmmaker.
December 9, 2017
One of the best movies of all time.
November 1, 2017
I found this movie a little too slow for my current mood. I sort of lost interest in the middle, but I stuck with it and the the beginning and end of the story are great. Harry Dean Stanton was great. I think another redeeming characteristic is how beautifully this film was shot and the stark landscapes.
October 22, 2017
I give this a 99/A+.
½ October 16, 2017
Very watchable and undeniably sweet.
½ September 20, 2017
After marinating in rage for a solid 2 hours, I feel compelled to write a review to achieve some catharsis completely absent from this bland piece of work. With such high marks across the board, I was expecting to be blown away by this film. Instead, a faux-nostalgic dusty film plodded along the flimsiest of plot lines. The climax, a 45-minute masturbation in the art of pregnant pausing, really only needed 7 minutes to cover the same ground. This film was a complete waste of Stanton's talent.
September 15, 2017
One of the best dramas I've ever watched, period.
August 3, 2017
How folks are mesmerized by this film is truly astonishing - a french-German take on love, loss, & the dry littered effect of human presence in the desert of west Texas. The title should be "The Abomination of Desolation," and then 45-mins cut. Even the deleted scenes run to 25-mins. Eurochick Nastassja Kinski, eminently watchable since "Cat People," as a wayward Texas wild child? Come on ...

This is film at its least & most minimalist to tell a Shepard story probably best left between the covers of the book - which was the reason for watching this on the day of Shepard's passing. Almost as bad is the soundtrack. By the end you'll want to find a dobro & smash it on your DVD player. The Reviews are misleading, and this opinion from a film buff of many types & genres, foreign & domestic. There's nearly nothing here that isn't a waste of time. Slow & almost goofy in places. Let's take the 8mm footage: It has the requisite cliched scratches & zoomy shakiness. But it's not shot & shown at 18-fps. A German director's sophomore mistake & part of what imparts to 8mm its home movie look - as it's supposed to have here.

This production is one of those weird films that acquires some kind of cult following among critics & the moon-eyed Burning Man pod people. It's not good - and why it's appraised as such by so many here is a mystery. Even Dennis Hopper was trotted-out to weigh-in in the extra materials; but he didn't seem that enthusiastic either.
July 21, 2017
A heartfelt character study that is truly unique in where the characters end up and what they've done to get there, a very spontaneous film that will surprise and shock you.
½ July 3, 2017
4.3/5

Im not sure Paris, Texas is a movie Im gonna watch again, not because its bad, but because the first time experiencing the emotionally deep story of Travis and the way the whole production comes together to squeeze the poetic out of the small things, has no point of comparison.
June 2, 2017
Great movie about losing yourself both physically and mentally, and not knowing what to do when times get really tough. It's a movie about the transformation of a particular individual who you think would never get his shit together. It's also a movie about love and friendship and being a loving parent and doing what's right.

All in all, it was a fantastic movie with a slow pace and a telling story. So warning, this is not for those who crave big action sequences - go watch Transformers.
½ May 30, 2017
Visuals of cars on the drylands
May 19, 2017
This is one of those movies, like Being There, where the genuine disconnection of the lead character and loss of love makes me cry over and over.
April 11, 2017
Wim Wenders' beautiful tale of love, loss, and sacrifice is my favourite film to date. Its gorgeous cinematography and soundtrack compliment the wonderful performances from not just Harry Dean Stanton and Nastassja Kinski, but the entirety of the cast.

The film follows Stanton's protagonist, Travis, as he attempts to rebuild his relationship with his son Hunter, and his wife Jane, after mysteriously going missing for years. What ensues is a moving portrait of a man who must ultimately sacrifice his own happiness for that of those he loves.

This film is a contemporary Western, using the genres features and translating it into a modern-day setting. What we get because of this is both a beautiful look at the American South-West and a poetic journey with a mysterious, flawed protagonist, who ultimately redeems himself, a clear play on the Western genre conventions. It mimics films like Shane and The Searchers through the nature of its lead.

This film, despite its 150-minute runtime, is incredibly rewarding even after multiple watches. Because it plays on such well-recognised genre features, we know how this film will end. He will take Hunter to Jane, and due to his jealous and manipulative personality, he will leave so that those he loves can live a happy life. Film to me is less about the destination and more about the journey, and for a road movie like Paris, Texas this is perfect. We experience what Travis experiences, we feel his emotions, see the world with him, and are crushed by the finale despite the inevitable nature of it. What rewards us is not the finale, but the road to it. Just describing this masterpiece cannot do full justice to it, it is a must see for lovers of cinema.
April 9, 2017
Ese monólogo al final... "I knew these people, these two people. They were in love with each other"...
January 31, 2017
Probably the most American movie made by a foreigner.
Consonance of cinematic perfection from the camera trough the direction to the soundrack.