Paris, Texas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paris, Texas Reviews

October 25, 2016
Long, slow and seems to last forever.
September 21, 2016
A work on the mystery of human condition -- why we destroy what we love most dearly in life.
September 11, 2016
5/5 Paris, Texas is a two hour and twenty-five minute emotional gut punch brought to life by a haunting score, a marvellous performance by Harry Dean Stanton and some of the most stunning cinematography I've ever seen in a film.
September 9, 2016
Paris, Texas is a moving depiction of people struggling to reconnect with each other, a drama that challenges us just as much as it satisfies our emotions.
½ August 29, 2016
Supposedly this was both Kurt Cobain and Elliott Smith's favorite movie. As someone who is also an angsty beta male I can see why.

In contrast to its deeply American aesthetic, which is fantastic, the movie's themes are the antithesis of the unbridled American dream. A man on a quest to lose what he has earned and return what he feels he does not deserve. A very surprising story given that it was made in the middle of a decade of hedonistic materialism.

The pacing may put some people off as it takes an exceptionally long time to tell a very simple story, but for the most part it worked for me as it gave the sense that this was a small part of a larger chapter of Travis' life. The cinematography also captures some of the best shots of the Southwest I've ever seen, they almost make Texas not seem like a complete cesspool, until the end of the film.

Very nice movie.
½ July 24, 2016
The sister in law is poorly cast. The indistinguishable accent is distracting. You can see just how influenced by this Barry Levinson was in making Rain Man. I don't get the walking in the beginning.
To be honest, Stanton is slightly miscast. He doesn't show as much emotion as he perhaps could. It loses some of the emotion when it gets into too much detail about the relationship, which has scenarios that are to far-fetched to be relatable. Despite flaws & falling slightly shy of realizing full potential, still one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen.
July 13, 2016
Very charming and strong movie, a rare movie that you would like to have a happy ending.
June 25, 2016
one of the most flims ever to be made!
½ May 28, 2016
Slow burning road film. A quest to get to the root of what went terribly wrong and how to make it right again.
May 14, 2016
I wanted to squeeze the words out of Travis by the last half hour. It's amazing how much this can accomplish emotionally with color and minimalist soundtrack.
April 17, 2016
A strong statement to life, family, and love.
½ April 14, 2016
Paris, Texas deals with domestic drama and American culture through unprecedented gravitas, and Harry Dean Stanton shines in his role.
½ April 12, 2016
Should you see this movie? See that tomatometer score?
March 29, 2016
It's a slow burner but it also features one of the greatest scenes ever committed to film.
½ March 15, 2016
Ponderous road movie directed by Wim Wenders, veers between moments of intense drama and winsome reflection. Sam Shepard's sparse dialogue, and Ry Cooder's haunting soundtrack create a dreamscape that is both alien and American. All the actors were good, but for me, Nastassia Kinski's performance was the film's highlight. A charismatic actress who is too little seen nowadays.
March 7, 2016
She told him that she dreamed about escaping. That was all she dreamed about - escape.
February 13, 2016
Another brilliant Wim Wenders piece from the 80s. One I had not seen until now. Can a combination of Wenders, Sam Shepard, Harry Dean Stanton and Dean Stockwell fail? No, I don't think so. Add to that a score by Ry Cooder and glorious cinematography by Robby Müller (who among other films shot Repo Man, Breaking the Waves, Dancer in the Dark and Dead Man).
January 26, 2016
A brilliant, searingly emotional examination of relationships and life.

A man stumbles out of the desert in southern Texas. He appears to be mute, and doesn't respond to questions. The hospital he ends up in calls his brother in California, who comes to take him back to LA. His brother hasn't seen him in four years. What caused him to be catatonic and wandering around in the desert?

Directed by Wim Wenders, Paris, Texas is an incredibly emotional journey, with a great deal of mystery attached too. Wenders drip-feeds information, slowly building a picture of the characters and their stories. The dialogue is rich with symbolism and allegories, giving hints to characters' situations...and lessons in life.

The air of mystery and emotion is heightened by hauntingly desolate yet
beautiful scenery and cinematography and a superb soundtrack by Ry

The conclusion is incredibly moving - one of the most emotional passages in any movie I've ever seen, and is a great insight into the pressures on modern relationships.

Might feel slow sometimes but it is never dull, especially if you like character-driven dramas, and the ending is well worth the wait.
January 21, 2016
An elegiac poem of the sad and lonely and the equally lonely landscapes of the American west. This film is refreshingly direct in its focus, fascinated by the singular characters at its center, which always seem to drive the narrative rather than some term paper thesis or contrivance. But belying this narrow focus is a wide-eyed camera that takes in all it sees, which leaves infinite room for quiet contemplation, even as silences are filled by that iconic score.