Paris, Texas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paris, Texas Reviews

January 31, 2017
Probably the most American movie made by a foreigner.
Consonance of cinematic perfection from the camera trough the direction to the soundrack.
½ December 24, 2016
Cuando anda perdido buscando su lote baldío los colores del desierto son tan intensos que alcanzan tonos infantiles. Su exilio es voluntario, ha logrado matar los recuerdos de una realidad tortuosa y ahora busca el vacío definitivo, ese pedazo de tierra chuta en Paris, Texas, a partir del cual pueda reiniciar. Eventualmente se resigna a que lo lleven de vuelta pero se niega a soltar los pies del suelo para volar o continuar el viaje en otro vehículo que no sea el que lo recogió. Ahora que ha retomado la realidad, mejor no perderle el hilo rompiendo la continuidad. Mejor no dormir siquiera. Cuando escapa con el muchacho de quien ha dejado de ser padre se siente ya en dominio, lo manda despojarse de consideración por quienes sí se han ganado ser sus padres, lo embarca en un inepto aprendizaje. Los sentimientos son intensos cuando habla con la choca, todo es ahora rojo, rojo el suéter, roja la camisa, rojo el teléfono. A la siguiente entrevista se ilumina de azul mientras a sangre fría cuenta su historia, y el parqueo está verde cuando observa desde la distancia el reencuentro. Los abandona en paz consigo mismo por haberlo desterrado del cuidado de la francesa preciosa y el responsable señor de las vallas para lanzarlo a un futuro incierto. 7/10
December 13, 2016
Such an artful classic. Nastassja Kinski = amazing.
November 24, 2016
Should you see this movie? See that tomatometer score?
November 13, 2016
Wim Wenders crafts a powerful story about pain and resilience that reflects the inner struggle of lost souls.
November 7, 2016
Directed by lauded German director, Wim Wenders and emotively scored by Ry Cooder, this winner of Palme d'Or at the 1984 Cannes Film Festival is a long-drawn melancholic ode to the immense sense of loss and loneliness of a man in the vast landscapes of desolateness.
½ November 3, 2016
What a film! A true work of art in every sense.
October 25, 2016
Long, slow and seems to last forever.
September 21, 2016
A work on the mystery of human condition -- why we destroy what we love most dearly in life.
September 11, 2016
5/5 Paris, Texas is a two hour and twenty-five minute emotional gut punch brought to life by a haunting score, a marvellous performance by Harry Dean Stanton and some of the most stunning cinematography I've ever seen in a film.
September 9, 2016
Paris, Texas is a moving depiction of people struggling to reconnect with each other, a drama that challenges us just as much as it satisfies our emotions.
½ August 29, 2016
Supposedly this was both Kurt Cobain and Elliott Smith's favorite movie. As someone who is also an angsty beta male I can see why.

In contrast to its deeply American aesthetic, which is fantastic, the movie's themes are the antithesis of the unbridled American dream. A man on a quest to lose what he has earned and return what he feels he does not deserve. A very surprising story given that it was made in the middle of a decade of hedonistic materialism.

The pacing may put some people off as it takes an exceptionally long time to tell a very simple story, but for the most part it worked for me as it gave the sense that this was a small part of a larger chapter of Travis' life. The cinematography also captures some of the best shots of the Southwest I've ever seen, they almost make Texas not seem like a complete cesspool, until the end of the film.

Very nice movie.
½ July 24, 2016
The sister in law is poorly cast. The indistinguishable accent is distracting. You can see just how influenced by this Barry Levinson was in making Rain Man. I don't get the walking in the beginning.
To be honest, Stanton is slightly miscast. He doesn't show as much emotion as he perhaps could. It loses some of the emotion when it gets into too much detail about the relationship, which has scenarios that are to far-fetched to be relatable. Despite flaws & falling slightly shy of realizing full potential, still one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen.
July 13, 2016
Very charming and strong movie, a rare movie that you would like to have a happy ending.
June 25, 2016
one of the most flims ever to be made!
½ May 28, 2016
Slow burning road film. A quest to get to the root of what went terribly wrong and how to make it right again.
May 14, 2016
I wanted to squeeze the words out of Travis by the last half hour. It's amazing how much this can accomplish emotionally with color and minimalist soundtrack.
April 17, 2016
A strong statement to life, family, and love.
½ April 14, 2016
89%
Paris, Texas deals with domestic drama and American culture through unprecedented gravitas, and Harry Dean Stanton shines in his role.