Paris, Texas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paris, Texas Reviews

August 3, 2017
How folks are mesmerized by this film is truly astonishing - a french-German take on love, loss, & the dry littered effect of human presence in the desert of west Texas. The title should be "The Abomination of Desolation," and then 45-mins cut. Even the deleted scenes run to 25-mins. Eurochick Nastassja Kinski, eminently watchable since "Cat People," as a wayward Texas wild child? Come on ...

This is film at its least & most minimalist to tell a Shepard story probably best left between the covers of the book - which was the reason for watching this on the day of Shepard's passing. Almost as bad is the soundtrack. By the end you'll want to find a dobro & smash it on your DVD player. The Reviews are misleading, and this opinion from a film buff of many types & genres, foreign & domestic. There's nearly nothing here that isn't a waste of time. Slow & almost goofy in places. Let's take the 8mm footage: It has the requisite cliched scratches & zoomy shakiness. But it's not shot & shown at 18-fps. A German director's sophomore mistake & part of what imparts to 8mm its home movie look - as it's supposed to have here.

This production is one of those weird films that acquires some kind of cult following among critics & the moon-eyed Burning Man pod people. It's not good - and why it's appraised as such by so many here is a mystery. Even Dennis Hopper was trotted-out to weigh-in in the extra materials; but he didn't seem that enthusiastic either.
July 21, 2017
A heartfelt character study that is truly unique in where the characters end up and what they've done to get there, a very spontaneous film that will surprise and shock you.
½ July 3, 2017
4.3/5

Im not sure Paris, Texas is a movie Im gonna watch again, not because its bad, but because the first time experiencing the emotionally deep story of Travis and the way the whole production comes together to squeeze the poetic out of the small things, has no point of comparison.
June 2, 2017
Great movie about losing yourself both physically and mentally, and not knowing what to do when times get really tough. It's a movie about the transformation of a particular individual who you think would never get his shit together. It's also a movie about love and friendship and being a loving parent and doing what's right.

All in all, it was a fantastic movie with a slow pace and a telling story. So warning, this is not for those who crave big action sequences - go watch Transformers.
½ May 30, 2017
Visuals of cars on the drylands
May 19, 2017
This is one of those movies, like Being There, where the genuine disconnection of the lead character and loss of love makes me cry over and over.
April 11, 2017
Wim Wenders' beautiful tale of love, loss, and sacrifice is my favourite film to date. Its gorgeous cinematography and soundtrack compliment the wonderful performances from not just Harry Dean Stanton and Nastassja Kinski, but the entirety of the cast.

The film follows Stanton's protagonist, Travis, as he attempts to rebuild his relationship with his son Hunter, and his wife Jane, after mysteriously going missing for years. What ensues is a moving portrait of a man who must ultimately sacrifice his own happiness for that of those he loves.

This film is a contemporary Western, using the genres features and translating it into a modern-day setting. What we get because of this is both a beautiful look at the American South-West and a poetic journey with a mysterious, flawed protagonist, who ultimately redeems himself, a clear play on the Western genre conventions. It mimics films like Shane and The Searchers through the nature of its lead.

This film, despite its 150-minute runtime, is incredibly rewarding even after multiple watches. Because it plays on such well-recognised genre features, we know how this film will end. He will take Hunter to Jane, and due to his jealous and manipulative personality, he will leave so that those he loves can live a happy life. Film to me is less about the destination and more about the journey, and for a road movie like Paris, Texas this is perfect. We experience what Travis experiences, we feel his emotions, see the world with him, and are crushed by the finale despite the inevitable nature of it. What rewards us is not the finale, but the road to it. Just describing this masterpiece cannot do full justice to it, it is a must see for lovers of cinema.
April 9, 2017
Ese monólogo al final... "I knew these people, these two people. They were in love with each other"...
January 31, 2017
Probably the most American movie made by a foreigner.
Consonance of cinematic perfection from the camera trough the direction to the soundrack.
½ December 24, 2016
Cuando anda perdido buscando su lote baldío los colores del desierto son tan intensos que alcanzan tonos infantiles. Su exilio es voluntario, ha logrado matar los recuerdos de una realidad tortuosa y ahora busca el vacío definitivo, ese pedazo de tierra chuta en Paris, Texas, a partir del cual pueda reiniciar. Eventualmente se resigna a que lo lleven de vuelta pero se niega a soltar los pies del suelo para volar o continuar el viaje en otro vehículo que no sea el que lo recogió. Ahora que ha retomado la realidad, mejor no perderle el hilo rompiendo la continuidad. Mejor no dormir siquiera. Cuando escapa con el muchacho de quien ha dejado de ser padre se siente ya en dominio, lo manda despojarse de consideración por quienes sí se han ganado ser sus padres, lo embarca en un inepto aprendizaje. Los sentimientos son intensos cuando habla con la choca, todo es ahora rojo, rojo el suéter, roja la camisa, rojo el teléfono. A la siguiente entrevista se ilumina de azul mientras a sangre fría cuenta su historia, y el parqueo está verde cuando observa desde la distancia el reencuentro. Los abandona en paz consigo mismo por haberlo desterrado del cuidado de la francesa preciosa y el responsable señor de las vallas para lanzarlo a un futuro incierto. 7/10
December 13, 2016
Such an artful classic. Nastassja Kinski = amazing.
November 24, 2016
Should you see this movie? See that tomatometer score?
November 13, 2016
Wim Wenders crafts a powerful story about pain and resilience that reflects the inner struggle of lost souls.
November 7, 2016
Directed by lauded German director, Wim Wenders and emotively scored by Ry Cooder, this winner of Palme d'Or at the 1984 Cannes Film Festival is a long-drawn melancholic ode to the immense sense of loss and loneliness of a man in the vast landscapes of desolateness.
½ November 3, 2016
What a film! A true work of art in every sense.
October 25, 2016
Long, slow and seems to last forever.
September 21, 2016
A work on the mystery of human condition -- why we destroy what we love most dearly in life.
September 11, 2016
5/5 Paris, Texas is a two hour and twenty-five minute emotional gut punch brought to life by a haunting score, a marvellous performance by Harry Dean Stanton and some of the most stunning cinematography I've ever seen in a film.
September 9, 2016
Paris, Texas is a moving depiction of people struggling to reconnect with each other, a drama that challenges us just as much as it satisfies our emotions.
½ August 29, 2016
Supposedly this was both Kurt Cobain and Elliott Smith's favorite movie. As someone who is also an angsty beta male I can see why.

In contrast to its deeply American aesthetic, which is fantastic, the movie's themes are the antithesis of the unbridled American dream. A man on a quest to lose what he has earned and return what he feels he does not deserve. A very surprising story given that it was made in the middle of a decade of hedonistic materialism.

The pacing may put some people off as it takes an exceptionally long time to tell a very simple story, but for the most part it worked for me as it gave the sense that this was a small part of a larger chapter of Travis' life. The cinematography also captures some of the best shots of the Southwest I've ever seen, they almost make Texas not seem like a complete cesspool, until the end of the film.

Very nice movie.