Reviews

• Apr 17, 2021

I like most old films, even allowing for Hollywood pinch of salt truth in most. The best that I can say for this is the good looking lead actors and Hepburn's talent lost on a bizzare script. Paris ( the good side, not poverty susurbs ) is alwaYs a draw, I decided not to waste any more time after 10 minutes, as I had better things to do. My rating is a nod to Hepburn, both bothe leads do their best with a daft script. Music not too bad, but not worth the wait for a non-story.

• Feb 24, 2021

A movie ahead of it's time. Witty and cute. A fun ride. Ignore the naysayers.

A movie ahead of it's time. Witty and cute. A fun ride. Ignore the naysayers.

• Sep 20, 2020

This movie missed the biggest 'switch' there was. *spoiler* That Gaby was a mole, sent by the producer to ensure the script was completed on time. Instead, it chose to have two people with no commonality, other than their proximity, fall in love after a day of fanciful procrastination. The plot was redundant & even the script repeated itself several times. The rating of 1.5 stars was very generous, because it wasn't a movie I hated & for Hepburn & Curtis' performances.

• Sep 12, 2020

This is one of my least favorite Audrey Hepburn movies and that's hard for me to say. The movie just doesn't live up to her other films, although this one has an interesting storyline. It's sort of a movie within a movie. Loved the cameo with Tony Curtis and I wish he and Audrey had made one movie together where they were the stars, but I'm glad they were in this one together. Although this isn't a great movie, it's worth watching

• Jul 21, 2020

This female role was subservient to Actor (William Holden} who has made worst attempt as a comedian I have seen in a while. The part should have been cast to an Actor like say Jack Lemon or Phil Silvers. Ms. Hepburn is all coy and treacle sweet and Mr. Holden springs and bounces around the set like an electric eel on heat. Kissing her full on in Scene1 ! No Actress would have tolerated this man beyond scene 1.No writer would have told a stenographer that he lied to his his boss the Film's Director in the same scene. This old has been writer was burnt out and a sexy thing was his torment...Sad

• Jul 18, 2020

Really fun and fairly creative.

Really fun and fairly creative.

• May 21, 2020

No real plot, just a another movie about the movie industry, with lots of famous people chucked in, as a lazy attempt to make it more interesting. The sets, costumes and Audrey are stylish, retro fashionistas should enjoy it, otherwise tedious.

• Mar 21, 2020

Great cast in this movie, but, I just didn't enjoy the flow of the movie as it was all over the place.

• Jul 16, 2017

ridiculous storyline, but good scenery

ridiculous storyline, but good scenery

Thomas D Super Reviewer
    May 30, 2017

I had to make sure that my 1000th review was special, and what's more special than a romantic comedy starring Audrey Hepburn and set in the most romantic city in the world, Paris? Well, Paris When it Sizzles isn't the most Hepburn film, nor is it probably her best film set in Paris, but it represents everything that I love about her short lived career, dreamy, innocent, and always fun. More along the lines of a classic spoof than a true romantic comedy, Paris When it Sizzles is a valiant effort in trying to comment on Hollywood filmmaking and all of the frustrating tropes most movies use. I guess in some ways it's like taking Deadpool's style of 4th wall breaking humor, just without all of the blood, violence, and language. It's that innocence and fantastical nature of Paris When it Sizzles that is really appealing, even if all of the jokes and gags don't necessarily hold up. Considering this film was essentially forced upon Audrey Hepburn and William Holden because of a clause in their contracts, it's no wonder that the story feels all over the place. Perhaps adding to the dreamy feel, Gabrielle and Richard fall in love with each other while writing a Hollywood script, and spend the majority of the film acting out scenes from their script which mirrors just how obscure the plot can get. Nowhere near as moving or magical as last year's La La Land, but it certainly captures the essence of how everyone wishes they could fall in love. For that alone, I appreciate Paris When it Sizzles for its carelessness and almost charming irreverence it goes about telling its story. I think where the movie fails is that every time you feel like you're getting invested in Gabrielle and Richard's romance, the movie thrusts back into the adventures of Gaby and Rick on the streets of Paris. Obviously the stories should feel one and the same, but I actually found myself more invested in what was going on in the writer's room (apartment) than I did when the two are spooking their various films of their careers. Even with a plot that wanders like no other and a script that feels like a bunch of sketches thrown together, it's hard not to get behind what Holden and Hepburn are doing here. Especially when you find out how in love Holden was with her at the time, it adds another layer to their relationship on screen. Plus, it's hard to go wrong with anything Audrey Hepburn does, right? I knew it was a good idea to make this my 1000th review. +1000 +Another dreamy and fantastical romance +Spoof of sorts -Get lost in the fake characters 7.0/10