Paris When It Sizzles Reviews

• May 21, 2020

No real plot, just a another movie about the movie industry, with lots of famous people chucked in, as a lazy attempt to make it more interesting. The sets, costumes and Audrey are stylish, retro fashionistas should enjoy it, otherwise tedious.

• Mar 21, 2020

Great cast in this movie, but, I just didn't enjoy the flow of the movie as it was all over the place.

• Jul 16, 2017

ridiculous storyline, but good scenery

ridiculous storyline, but good scenery

Thomas D Super Reviewer
    May 30, 2017

I had to make sure that my 1000th review was special, and what's more special than a romantic comedy starring Audrey Hepburn and set in the most romantic city in the world, Paris? Well, Paris When it Sizzles isn't the most Hepburn film, nor is it probably her best film set in Paris, but it represents everything that I love about her short lived career, dreamy, innocent, and always fun. More along the lines of a classic spoof than a true romantic comedy, Paris When it Sizzles is a valiant effort in trying to comment on Hollywood filmmaking and all of the frustrating tropes most movies use. I guess in some ways it's like taking Deadpool's style of 4th wall breaking humor, just without all of the blood, violence, and language. It's that innocence and fantastical nature of Paris When it Sizzles that is really appealing, even if all of the jokes and gags don't necessarily hold up. Considering this film was essentially forced upon Audrey Hepburn and William Holden because of a clause in their contracts, it's no wonder that the story feels all over the place. Perhaps adding to the dreamy feel, Gabrielle and Richard fall in love with each other while writing a Hollywood script, and spend the majority of the film acting out scenes from their script which mirrors just how obscure the plot can get. Nowhere near as moving or magical as last year's La La Land, but it certainly captures the essence of how everyone wishes they could fall in love. For that alone, I appreciate Paris When it Sizzles for its carelessness and almost charming irreverence it goes about telling its story. I think where the movie fails is that every time you feel like you're getting invested in Gabrielle and Richard's romance, the movie thrusts back into the adventures of Gaby and Rick on the streets of Paris. Obviously the stories should feel one and the same, but I actually found myself more invested in what was going on in the writer's room (apartment) than I did when the two are spooking their various films of their careers. Even with a plot that wanders like no other and a script that feels like a bunch of sketches thrown together, it's hard not to get behind what Holden and Hepburn are doing here. Especially when you find out how in love Holden was with her at the time, it adds another layer to their relationship on screen. Plus, it's hard to go wrong with anything Audrey Hepburn does, right? I knew it was a good idea to make this my 1000th review. +1000 +Another dreamy and fantastical romance +Spoof of sorts -Get lost in the fake characters 7.0/10

• Sep 27, 2016

Funny movie with Hepburn and Holden doing great performances. Super movie. Funny and clever. Well done. Super film.

• Dec 16, 2015

An oily and commitment-phobic William Holden schmoozes and boozes Audrey Hepburn until she agrees to be his Bastille Day date.

• Jan 20, 2015

Lousy, lousy movie; pretty, pretty Lambretta

Lousy, lousy movie; pretty, pretty Lambretta

• Jan 02, 2015

This story has the cleverness of a door slamming. It's full of nonsense where Hollywood thinks it going to play it cute with the audience by throwing some beautiful people and a bunch of cameos together.

• Dec 13, 2014

what was tony curtis doing here?! :D

what was tony curtis doing here?! :D

• Oct 04, 2014

Not a true classic film, but it is engaging enough due to its charismatic stars, Hepburn and Holden and the Paris setting. Worth a watch on a cloudy weekend afternoon.