The Passion of the Christ - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Passion of the Christ Reviews

November 12, 2016
I'm an atheist but this movie still amazed me because it's not about believing in God but about self sacrifice for greater good.
November 5, 2016
The Passion of the Christ is difficult to watch, and revels a bit in its violence, but Mel Gibson's talent as a director, and the power of the story, ultimately shine through.
October 9, 2016
"The Passion of the Christ" was undeniably a moving and emotionally galvanizing experience. To all the ethnic finger pointing, I am immensely persuaded that the deeper meaning of Mel Gibson's message got buried and no one seems to understand where to find it. This is not a film that you enjoy or are entertained by, you're either moved to the point of being more deeply imbued in the faith portrayed or disgusted by it's excessive violence. I've heard all my life Jesus proclaiming from the cross, "it is finished." However, Mel Gibson alters that phrase into "it is accomplished" and the impact of that is the reason why I love this film. This is a masterful piece of art from a masterful director.
October 2, 2016
This movie and my original review from 8 months ago crossed my mind recently. I was contemplating Christianity and the many interpretations of what it means to be a Christian and many interpretations of the right path, the Godly way.

I probably rated this movie fairly low primarily because it's not what I would prefer to see in a movie about Jesus. It doesn't quite fit my perspective on what is the most interesting and relevant contribution of Jesus.

Was his death the most important thing? Or his teachings? People followed him because words gave hope and guidance in a harsh and rigid world where Romans ruled and women were stoned to death for adultery, and punishments for various crimes were harsh. The Romans tortured and crucified a lot of people. Their empire was built on the backs of slaves captured in war. Many wars were fought solely for the purpose of bringing more slaves to the empire. Oops digressing.

Jesus was a Pacifist whose teachings bring to mind the achievements of Ghandi, Mandela, and Martin Luther King.

Love your neighbor as yourself. If someone hits your right cheek, turn and let him hit your left cheek also. Greater love has no man than this, that he would lay down his life for his friends. Do unto others as you would have done to you. It is harder for a rich man to enter the kingdom of Heaven than for a camel to go through the eye of a needle. (To a rich man) Give everything you have to the poor. All Jesus's words, not mine. If he lived in the modern day, what would Jesus probably say? Well, that's open to interpretation isn't it?

My original post from 8 months ago:
Jesus Christ of Nazareth has inspired a lot of movies.The Passion of the Christ is one of them, which happens to be one of the top-grossing movies of all time.

Well, this movie is Mel Gibson's take on the end of Jesus's life. Mel Gibson knows how to make torture and suffering look real.

History tells us the Romans really were that brutal.

I see an attempt to be true to the Biblical account. The three crosses scene, with Jesus and the 2 others to his left and right, seemed surreal and somehow very artistic. The lighting of the skies even made that scene look almost like a painting by one of the Great Masters. Jim Caviezel's classic Latin Jesus look contributes to the artistic effect.

But did I like it overall? No, not really. Unpleasantly brutal to watch.
½ September 11, 2016
It is literally about how much pain the human body can take before collapsing.
September 10, 2016
As a deacon and theologian, and specifically belonging to a tradition which still uses the Aramaic language spoken by Christ and used in this film, I can say that this film is without a doubt the most realistic and respectful to Biblical and Historical facts rendition of the Passion of Christ. Anyone who has read the Bible cannot deny this, and the critics of this movie are politically motivated and want to suppress the real story or sugarcoat it and twist it to their own agendas as the films about Jesus have done in the past. The proof that this film is the best out is displayed in the way Mel Gibson, Jim Caviezel and others have been blacklisted for their work on this film. Shame on Hollywood and their dirty political agendas. This film has not only exposed the true life of Christ but also the truth about Hollywood and the Media and its agendas and how they are not concerned with art, freedom, or truth. Gibson and others deserve to be compensated for their being blacklisted based on religious affiliation! Very excited for the sequel to come out soon about the Resurrection of Christ, and hope it will be handled with the same fidelity as this first installment.

???? ?? ????? ??? ??? ???? ?????
September 8, 2016
It's weird to think that this movie is basically a torture of a religious icon. Why I liked it was that I believe Jim Caviezel did an excellent job portraying Christ and I liked the choice to shoot the film in Aramic and Latin Hebrew. Most of us have heard this story before but for me, it was enlightening to see it on the big screen. Not that watching Jesus getting tortured was exciting to watch, I loved how through the entire part of it, he never retaliated and kept to his morals. When he was getting nailled, "Forgive them father, for they know not of what they do." Powerful stuff man. For non-christians, I cannot really give a recommendation but for true believers or anybody who is on the fence with their faith, this is surely a movie you need to watch. Is it violent? Oh my goodness. It can be downright brutal to watch at parts. Is it uplifting? For me, it was. I won't spoil anything (although I'm sure everyone knows what happens) but the last shot gave me real chills. Truly epic!
½ August 31, 2016
Se que es una película ambiciosa y arriesgada, pero no me entretuvo en ningún momento, la cámara lenta me pareció exagerada, no sentí conexión con María, nunca vi el dolor que debería sentir una madre.
August 29, 2016
A man confessed to murder after watching this film. Sorry critics, but the "message" wasn't lost.
½ August 24, 2016
The Passion of the Christ is a very polarizing movie. On the one hand, you've got awesome technical aspects from the costumes to the acting to the direction and of course the use of original languages is so commendable. On the other hand, you have a movie that is realistic in its violence, but still too violent to the point of being exploitative. But the biggest problem is its hateful tone, a lack of a strong story and the movie's unwillingness to make a strong statement or to have anything truly spiritual in it as the movie about Jesus needs those things. So in the end, I respect it to some degree as it is authentic, but I also find it to be too problematic in too many areas.
August 21, 2016
I was so excited when I first heard that Mel Gibson would be making a film that would document Jesus's life in something close to the language that Jesus actually spoke. I had grown tired of inauthentic hollywood renditions of Jesus's life. Gibson did not disappoint. Even after so many years this movie is an extremely well made classic. I wish rotten tomatoes would delete the critics ratings from this site because they are so out of touch. Liberal hollywood critics do not like Jesus - what else is new? It amazes me that the critics consensus would say that its too violent and graphic while they give glowing reviews to tarantino's films and many others that have graphic violence.
August 10, 2016
I didn't have a problem with the gore and violence. I did have a problem with the movies historical and biblical inaccuracy, and the fact that some Christians will blindly accept this movie to be a true account of the last 12 hours of Jesus. I did enjoy watching Rosalinda Celentano play Satan, and Hristo Shopov as Pontius Pilate. In the end, I'd say watch it if you can, but don't expect historical truth.
August 8, 2016
this was the best movie ever made that can really tell the story of Jesus during his three years of ministry in a short of time, very realistic as the bible describes Jesus suffering for the sin of the world. the only thing that was exagerated and not real was when one of his arms was pulled to the point that it disclocated his shoulders. the bible in the book of Isaia describes his true suffereing, his body being turtore for three days in a row, his flesh being dismantel by the roman soldiers turture and it specifically states in the bible that none of his bones were broken.
July 30, 2016
One of the most violent films I've ever seen.
½ July 25, 2016
It's just a 2 hour snuff film. Want my $2 back. But I'm afraid Mel Gibson will go cray cray on my ass. Appreciate the effort, but there could have less torture.
July 23, 2016
Strong Christian movie with violence, might not want your kids to see it until they understand certain concepts.
July 22, 2016
The most powerful movie I have ever seen! This film, directed by Mel Gibson, and starring Jim Caviezel as Jesus, graphically depicts the last twelve hours in the life of the Messiah. Almost from the beginning, the viewer is immersed in the brutal suffering that was inflicted upon Him for all of us. If you haven't seen this, I highly recommend it. Warning: The movie is Rated R for a lot of very graphic violence. But, unlike some other, more recent movies, the violence is necessary to tell the story. What a wonderful film this is! And what do they mean that the violence obscures the message? That IS the message...that Jesus loved the world so much, he was willing to go through that!
July 19, 2016
Whether you believe in it or not, this is the most realistic, technically top-notch tale of Christ's crucifixion to ever have the horror of being put on film.
July 11, 2016
This is a look not at the life of Jesus as a whole, nor Christianity as a whole. This is a piece. This piece is crucial as it is the catalyst from what separates Christians from Muslims, and Jews, both of which have similar "background stories." The crucification and subsequent resurrection are not just toppings on some religious salad bar some concoct these days. This event did happen. Is is exact? Probably not. Is it close enough, absolutely.
I am NOT a Mel Gibson fan, but he did the event justice. It is gory, as others have written, but seriously... what did you expect? The tradition of hanging people and shoving a crown of thrones on their head isn't something you can do as a nice children's cartoon.
It is the same amount of blood, gore, and raw violence as the Wolverine movies. If your 13 year old can watch those, they will be fine with the Passion. It makes you uncomfortable because it is convicting to admit that someone literally died on the cross in the name of the sins of humanity. He didn't have to die. He didn't have to be crucified. But Jesus made a choice. He was offered many opportunities to walk away unharmed. As the movie points out graphically, Jesus chose the cross. And that is the point.