The Passion of the Christ - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Passion of the Christ Reviews

½ March 28, 2017
Good production values can't make up for one of the most boring movies ever made. Might have worked if it was cut down to half an hour and only was the last part of the movie... not the entire movie.
March 24, 2017
Although I think it's actually a great movie in technical form, "The Passion" is not a movie you enjoy watching it, nor reflections on the death of Jesus Christ as Mel Gibson says it was his goal, but in moments, Makes you look away and wonder why you are not seeing anything else instead of two hours of how a guy is tortured by the worst ways for apparently not having committed such a serious crime (proving Gibson's little knowledge or documentation about the Roman law. Bravo, Mel)
Gibson had the elements to give us an excellent movie of the passion of Jesus but gave us a gore show that does not make us think about the sacrifice of Jesus, but to have pity for Jesus.
March 20, 2017
Gibson's got a fetish, he likes bondage in a bad way. More than that, he's like that character from 'DaVinci Code' who keeps whipping himself, only... Gibson whips himself whilst masturbating over images of the crucified Christ. WHO THE HELL GIVES GIBSON MONEY TO MAKE FILMS!!!??
February 21, 2017
It's telling that most of the negative reviews are submitted by people who aren't Christians, or who are unfamiliar with the story. Graphic elements in the film are there because that's precisely how it occurred. While not 100% accurate and relying at times on other sources than the Bible, The Passion of the Christ is an honest and mostly factual account of the Lord's final 12 hours. Amazing and important film. For those put-off by the 'gore', imagine living through that instead of just watching it in a movie.
February 9, 2017
i shouldn't make fun of this movie because it's a movie about the Death of Jesus.... BUT THIS MOVIE WAS SO HORRENDOUS! It's just torture Violence and Nothing else
February 7, 2017
This is a classic biblical movie. It was depressing and a gore fest, but then again, so was the actual death of Jesus. I love how it starts with him deep in prayer in the Garden. The only flaw I can find is the fact that it WAS in a different language, so we did have to read the subtitles to understand it. But everything else about it, to me, makes it the best representation of the actual day of his death.
January 26, 2017
The torturous Passion serves to not only highlight what Jesus was speaking against; hypocrisy, deceit, sin, man-centered life - but to remind Christians the debt they owe which spurs them to follow in the footsteps of the most perfect man ever.
December 22, 2016
Intense and impactful transmitted from history that we want to tell in graphic style hard Gibson
December 15, 2016
To me this is the greatest movie ever made, but because of it's religious consepts allot of people are very critical of this film. But the reason I love this film is not because I am a christian, it is extremely well made, and the acting from the whole cast is amazing. I would give it ten stars if I could.
December 14, 2016
I thought it was well made and it depicts really well what Jesus went through because of his love for humankind
November 12, 2016
I'm an atheist but this movie still amazed me because it's not about believing in God but about self sacrifice for greater good.
November 5, 2016
The Passion of the Christ is difficult to watch, and revels a bit in its violence, but Mel Gibson's talent as a director, and the power of the story, ultimately shine through.
October 9, 2016
"The Passion of the Christ" was undeniably a moving and emotionally galvanizing experience. To all the ethnic finger pointing, I am immensely persuaded that the deeper meaning of Mel Gibson's message got buried and no one seems to understand where to find it. This is not a film that you enjoy or are entertained by, you're either moved to the point of being more deeply imbued in the faith portrayed or disgusted by it's excessive violence. I've heard all my life Jesus proclaiming from the cross, "it is finished." However, Mel Gibson alters that phrase into "it is accomplished" and the impact of that is the reason why I love this film. This is a masterful piece of art from a masterful director.
October 2, 2016
This movie and my original review from 8 months ago crossed my mind recently. I was contemplating Christianity and the many interpretations of what it means to be a Christian and many interpretations of the right path, the Godly way.

I probably rated this movie fairly low primarily because it's not what I would prefer to see in a movie about Jesus. It doesn't quite fit my perspective on what is the most interesting and relevant contribution of Jesus.

Was his death the most important thing? Or his teachings? People followed him because words gave hope and guidance in a harsh and rigid world where Romans ruled and women were stoned to death for adultery, and punishments for various crimes were harsh. The Romans tortured and crucified a lot of people. Their empire was built on the backs of slaves captured in war. Many wars were fought solely for the purpose of bringing more slaves to the empire. Oops digressing.

Jesus was a Pacifist whose teachings bring to mind the achievements of Ghandi, Mandela, and Martin Luther King.

Love your neighbor as yourself. If someone hits your right cheek, turn and let him hit your left cheek also. Greater love has no man than this, that he would lay down his life for his friends. Do unto others as you would have done to you. It is harder for a rich man to enter the kingdom of Heaven than for a camel to go through the eye of a needle. (To a rich man) Give everything you have to the poor. All Jesus's words, not mine. If he lived in the modern day, what would Jesus probably say? Well, that's open to interpretation isn't it?

My original post from 8 months ago:
Jesus Christ of Nazareth has inspired a lot of movies.The Passion of the Christ is one of them, which happens to be one of the top-grossing movies of all time.

Well, this movie is Mel Gibson's take on the end of Jesus's life. Mel Gibson knows how to make torture and suffering look real.

History tells us the Romans really were that brutal.

I see an attempt to be true to the Biblical account. The three crosses scene, with Jesus and the 2 others to his left and right, seemed surreal and somehow very artistic. The lighting of the skies even made that scene look almost like a painting by one of the Great Masters. Jim Caviezel's classic Latin Jesus look contributes to the artistic effect.

But did I like it overall? No, not really. Unpleasantly brutal to watch.
½ September 11, 2016
It is literally about how much pain the human body can take before collapsing.
September 10, 2016
As a deacon and theologian, and specifically belonging to a tradition which still uses the Aramaic language spoken by Christ and used in this film, I can say that this film is without a doubt the most realistic and respectful to Biblical and Historical facts rendition of the Passion of Christ. Anyone who has read the Bible cannot deny this, and the critics of this movie are politically motivated and want to suppress the real story or sugarcoat it and twist it to their own agendas as the films about Jesus have done in the past. The proof that this film is the best out is displayed in the way Mel Gibson, Jim Caviezel and others have been blacklisted for their work on this film. Shame on Hollywood and their dirty political agendas. This film has not only exposed the true life of Christ but also the truth about Hollywood and the Media and its agendas and how they are not concerned with art, freedom, or truth. Gibson and others deserve to be compensated for their being blacklisted based on religious affiliation! Very excited for the sequel to come out soon about the Resurrection of Christ, and hope it will be handled with the same fidelity as this first installment.

???? ?? ????? ??? ??? ???? ?????
September 8, 2016
It's weird to think that this movie is basically a torture of a religious icon. Why I liked it was that I believe Jim Caviezel did an excellent job portraying Christ and I liked the choice to shoot the film in Aramic and Latin Hebrew. Most of us have heard this story before but for me, it was enlightening to see it on the big screen. Not that watching Jesus getting tortured was exciting to watch, I loved how through the entire part of it, he never retaliated and kept to his morals. When he was getting nailled, "Forgive them father, for they know not of what they do." Powerful stuff man. For non-christians, I cannot really give a recommendation but for true believers or anybody who is on the fence with their faith, this is surely a movie you need to watch. Is it violent? Oh my goodness. It can be downright brutal to watch at parts. Is it uplifting? For me, it was. I won't spoil anything (although I'm sure everyone knows what happens) but the last shot gave me real chills. Truly epic!
½ August 31, 2016
Se que es una película ambiciosa y arriesgada, pero no me entretuvo en ningún momento, la cámara lenta me pareció exagerada, no sentí conexión con María, nunca vi el dolor que debería sentir una madre.
August 29, 2016
A man confessed to murder after watching this film. Sorry critics, but the "message" wasn't lost.