Patriots Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Patriots Day Reviews

June 23, 2017
Very sad intense powerful film about the Boston marathon bombings .
June 21, 2017
Another great, tense thriller from the double-Berg duo. Lightly skims the surface of the underlying issues, but never in an exploitative manner.
½ June 20, 2017
Patriots Day pays tribute to the victims and heroes of the horrible event, delivering a powerfully tension filled movie that is emotional, yet inspring.
June 19, 2017
started watching and was very happy with the way they portray this incident. prayers to all that were killed or injured in the real attack.
June 19, 2017
Patriots Day: On the heels of such pulse-pounding hits as Hell or High Water and Deepwater Horizon, director Peter Berg's tale about the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing had the potential to be an emotionally-stirring winner, featuring an all-star cast (Mark Wahlberg, JK Simmons, Kevin Bacon) and incorporation of actual footage from the terrorist attack. Unfortunately, the final product is a tasteful yet disappointingly tepid treatment of the horrible attack that galvanized Boston and the nation. The ending, featuring the expected tribute to those killed as well as interviews with survivors, is poignant, it's just a pity the movie as a whole doesn't do them better justice. B-
June 19, 2017
Movie itself is making us feel we shouldn't embrace other races. But when you think everyone needs to be treated equally, you won't think like that, and you will enjoy watching it.
½ June 18, 2017
another mark walberg true life movie failure. god awful story mixed in just dumb and please direct next time Hollywood please find a better lead
½ June 18, 2017
I liked the restrained realism of this movie. It gave a really good sense of what it must have been like to be there. In experiencing it 'along with' the characters I felt gave me more empathy. I loved the direction and the cast was string. My only negative is that I didn't feel Mark Wahlberg had the acting depth to really pull of the more emotional scenes. Although he was generally very convincing in the role.
June 16, 2017
"Peter Berg's "Patriots Day" truly is a Boston Strong movie"
DVD Movie Review: Patriots Day
Date Viewed: April 14 2017
Directed By Peter Berg (Lone Survivor, Deepwater Horizon, Hancock, Friday Night Lights, The Rundown and Battleship)
Screenplay By Peter Berg, Joshua Zetumer and Matt Cook, Story By Peter Berg, Matt Cook, Paul Tamasy and Eric Johnson, Based on the book "Boston Strong" by Casey Sherman and Dave Wedge
Starring: Mark Wahlberg, John Goodman, Kevin Bacon, J.K. Simmons, Michelle Monaghan, Vincent Curatola, Alex Wolff, Themo Melikidze, Michael Beach, James Colby, Jimmy O. Yang, Rachel Brosnahan, Christopher O'Shea and Melissa Benoist.

Peter Berg's "Patriots Day" truly is a Boston Strong movie. The film is about the 2013 Boston Marathon bombings but it's also about the law enforcement and community's overwhelming response to the terrorist attack. "Patriots Day" is the third movie from director Berg and actor and producer Mark Wahlberg and their collaborative teamwork in this film clearly shows. It could've been just another straight-up action thriller with minimal acting and little emotional atmosphere but no Berg and Wahlberg really wanted to make this movie right and they did just that. With strong acting, spectacular action scenes and stellar direction, "Patriots Day" is an excellent action-drama that not only pays tribute to the heroes of the marathon bombings, it also pays tribute to an American city for staying strong after a horrific terrorist attack.

The story revolves around Boston police sergeant Tommy Saunders (Wahlberg), even though his character is not the main fore-front of this story, he does have a key role in the film and that is being a Boston copper who does his job. As everybody knows, two Russian born, half-Chechen brothers named Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev (Alex Wolff and Themo Melikidze) detonated two pressure cooker bombs during the Boston Marathon which left five innocent people killed and dozens injured.

The bombings cause widespread panic and FBI agent Richard DesLauriers (Kevin Bacon) gets assigned to the case along with Boston police commissioner, Ed Davis (John Goodman). While Sergeant Saunders searches for possible evidence and survivors, Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev are already planning their next attack and the target this time is New York City but first they must lay low until the news coverage of the bombing investigation wears off with the public.

When investigators do find out who the bombers are, agent DesLauriers is reluctant to release photos of the Tsarnaev brothers to the public because it might cause them to run off and hide someplace where the authorities can't find them. The Tsarnaevs attempt to lay low but they fail quickly as they kill MIT officer Sean Collier (Jake Picking) and they carjack an Asian student named Dun Meng (Jimmy O. Yang). Meng later escapes from the brothers at a Shell station and he tells officer Saunders what happened to him, what city the brothers are targeting next and he gives him the stolen car's GPS tracker code.

Soon, the Tsarnaev brothers engage in an intense firefight with police which results in several officers getting injured and Tamerlan getting shot by Watertown police sergeant, Jeffrey Pugliese (J.K. Simmons) and run over by his brother as he attempted to escape. The authorities later found Dzhokhar hiding under the sheets of a boat and he surrendered peacefully.

After making three "based-on-a-true-story" event films (Lone Survivor, Deepwater Horizon and now Patriots Day) that dominated the news cycle for days on end, I guess you can call Mark Wahlberg and Peter Berg's slate of films their "American Heroes Trilogy". Even though these were real-life news events, Wahlberg and Berg took the news part out of it and made these three films just about the heroes of these events.

The Watertown shootout is not only a great action scene, it's also amazing piece of skillful direction from Berg. The Tsarnaev brothers' motivations are more explained in this film than in the news. We knew about who they were in the news but we didn't know about their backgrounds until weeks or months later. Alex Wolff and Themo Melikidze are terrific as the Tsarnaevs and Melissa Benoist who many of you know as "Supergirl" plays an essential and crucial part of the film as Katherine Russell, the wife of Tamerlan Tsarnaev who gets intensely interrogated by investigators. The performances from Wahlberg, J.K. Simmons, John Goodman and Kevin Bacon are all around terrific but Michelle Monaghan kind of gets nothing to do as Saunders' wife.

Many people can argue that Peter Berg and Wahlberg are making the same movie again but all three of their works "Lone Survivor", "Deepwater Horizon" and "Patriots Day" are more compelling stories than you realize on the page. This third collaboration between director Peter Berg and Mark Wahlberg was one of the most chronically, important films of last year.
½ June 15, 2017
Too Wahlberg. Too Hollywood. Too soon. The film has its moments and uses a lot of real media footage/pictures throughout. But I'm sure those who lived here, lived through, watched, helped & ran will have a completely different take on what it felt like to live through that day & throughout the rest of that week. Wahlberg's amalgam of characters' made the film feel fake & forced throughout making his "emotional" scenes laughable.

Want realness? Watch the National Geographic doc 'Inside The Hunt For The Boston Bombers' for a far more riveting account. The NOVA doc 'Manhunt: Boston Bombers' was good as well.
June 13, 2017
"Patriots Day" is a more than fitting tribute to those who responded to the bombings, and those who were devastated by them. Another tremendous entry by Peter Berg.
½ June 11, 2017
Earnestly and honestly played...This compelling and sympathetic depiction of real events gets a tad harrowing here and there...it's not gratuitous...but it's factually and shockingly necessary.
June 9, 2017
This trend of historical fiction films based on a history that's only a few years old is kind of a strange trend, but if it means we keep getting movies like this...yeah, let's do it. I loved Deepwater Horizon, and Patriot's Day is probably just as good. It's something of a sister film, with largely the same team behind it both behind and in front of the camera, and it still works. It has a real world quality to it, and not just in the fact that it's a true event. It often uses security cameras for scenes, eerily recreating security camera footage a lot of us saw on the days following the Boston Marathon bombing. That's the funny thing this movie can do to, since it's based on a very recent event, you end up filling in the blanks from the movie with knowledge you have of the actual event. It's been a long time since I really thought about that attack, but as I was watching the movie, it started to come back to me and I remembered little details that enhanced the movie. It's a strange sort of symbiotic relationship to the film that I've never really had with a movie before. The odd thing is there's some scenes in the movie that, in any other movie, I would have called out as a bit excessive and unrealistic, particularly a shootout that occurs in a residential area during the films climax. But because it's based on true events, and because the reality between the film and your memory of the events puts you in such an open state, I never questioned it. I also liked the films human element. It really is a film about the power of the human spirit and how a couple of a**holes full of misguided hate are wildly outnumbered by the love and determination of everyone else. The final moments of the film are genuinely touching, and might even induce a few tears. One final kudos I have to give to the movie is not shying away from the Muslim jihadist aspect of the story, but still making it clear that these were not true Muslims. There's an entire scene dedicated to showing how misguided and, for want of a better term, stupid their take on jihad-ism and being Muslim is. It's positively brutal, a necessary separation of them from true Muslims, and I loved it.
My issues with this film are pretty minor, but I had a couple. As much as I loved giving each character attention before they become relevant when s*** hits the fan, a lot of times making us empathize with them ultimately came down to giving them a love interest, and after they played their part in the main events most of them were largely forgotten about. I see what they were trying to do, and I respect it, but it could have been handled better. Similarly, I'm not sure what to think of Mark Wahlberg's role. He's sort of an amalgamation character of all the cops who played a role in the bombing investigation. I understand why they did this, but it starts to become a little unbelievable that this one low-ranking cop would continuously find himself in the middle of the action. It's the type of thing you're willing to buy in say a Die Hard movie, but in a true story movie, it doesn't quite work. I understand why they did this, and I'm not sure how I would do it better, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't come off as a little weird.
Ultimately my problems with this movie are really little more than slight annoyances, hardly anything that could come close to ruining the experience. Because in the end, I loved this movie. It left a strong impact on me and as soon as I was done watching it I wanted to tell everyone I know about how great it was. It's a fascinating feet-on-the-ground look at a story we all know from the news, and watching these people work so hard to catch these guys is inspiring and fascinating. I loved watching these people work, just seeing them do their job and do it with such determination was riveting. And the heart of the movie and it's message of the power of love over hate is genuinely touching. It's an incredible movie, I loved it.
June 8, 2017
Patriot'a Day is directed and co-written by Peter Berg, and it stars Mark Wahlberg, John Goodman, Kevin Bacon, J. K. Simmons, and Michelle Monaghan in a drama-thriller about the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing that happened, and the characters are going to find a way to find the terrorists that commit this. I was looking forward to this film as it's Peter Berg directing it, which I've really enjoyed Lone Survivor and Deepwater Horizon, but I wasn't quite sure at first about whether there's enough material for the actual event to be a film as I only know about the bombing, which I didn't know afterwards that there was more to it like the manhunt and the process of finding them. Also, whether or not this is too early for this movie to happen, is uncertain to me, but I'm sure there are people who think so. So for the film in general, I actually kind of love this one just as much as Deepwater Horizon. Mark Wahlberg is fantastic in this as at first, you can tell he still want to go back to his job, even though he hates where he's at, and when it's gets to the event, he gets more tired as it progresses to the point that he even had an emotional moment, which is something that I never seen from Mark Wahlberg, and he does it very well for it. The acting from the other cast members are great, and Alex Wolff and Themo Melikidze who portray the terrorists are very intimidating, scary, and they look just like the actual people. I like that it shows actual footage of the bombing, while it still mixes in with the film, which fooled me into thinking that all of it was film footage. The writing by Peter Berg, Matt Cook, and Joshua Zetumer is well-written that manages to create character development out of so many people, while also making the film not anti-Muslim as it shows how the event happened, and the procedure of the search. The action scenes are intense to watch, and there's a scene that is very suspenseful as you care about this person, and you have no idea how he's going to get out of this. The score by Trent Renzor and Atticus Ross is catchy that brings in the horror of the situation, while also showing that it brought out the love of Boston people. I also like what they did with the ending as I thought was a nice touch, and it felt respectful too. Patriot's Day is an amazing film that I'm glad to
June 6, 2017
When the movie first started, I thought I was going to hate it. The dialogue was so cliched and cheesy between most of the characters introduced, early on. I was actually going to turn it off, but stuck with it. And it did get a little better. Mostly because most of the tense scenes do not require a lot of dialogue, and Patriot's Day gets pretty intense, the action is solid. Also, as you can imagine, it's an incredibly emotional film. The cast is fine, I guess....but no one really stands out, no one gives a memorable performance, unfortunately. And this is off topic/random, but why is it that every time I watch a movie with Michelle Monaghan in it, she is literally just playing the wife or girlfriend ....with nothing to do other than support her man? It's frustrating. But back to the movie....it's okay for a watch, but the writing is mediocre and the performances are bland.
½ June 5, 2017
Third collaboration between Peter Berg and Mark Wahlberg. Wahlberg was apparently reluctant to take part before realising his Dorchester upbringing would be the key to bringing his character to life. This is not to say the rest of the cast doesn't create a brilliant collaboration to flesh out the story. The plot encapsulates at once one of Boston's darkest days, and also one of the cities proudest moments in the way it worked to bring terrorists to justice.
½ June 4, 2017
It had it's moments of truth. Needed more facts than fiction.
June 3, 2017
A worthy tribute to Boston's finest and the resilient spirit of Boston.
½ June 3, 2017
First, we must never forget. Second we need to treasure our being an American. Third, good movie
June 1, 2017
The film does a great job of illustrating the mayhem and chaos of the bombings, while also showing the hopeful and heroic features of humanity. It seamlessly incorporates real footage of the events in a very effective manner.