Paul - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paul Reviews

½ August 14, 2017
very funny with a cool story and general premise. very entertaining. clever at times. lots of great characters and casting choices. i liked almost everyone in the movie, except the father. (2 viewings)
August 1, 2017
This movie with both hilarious and action-packed. Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Seth Rogen were all extremely funny in this movie. I will recommend Paul to everyone I know.
½ July 21, 2017
Paul is a movie about 2 geeks who have a passion for sci-fi and aliens that just happen to meet an alien. The comedic timing of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost is stellar as always, and they definitely understand what makes a typical geek tick. In many ways their portrayals are just like British versions of Big Bang Theory characters. Seth Rogen voices the titular alien, and he didn?t annoy me as much as he usually does. He is definitely crass and foul-mouthed, but there?s an endearing quality to his character that I did enjoy. My favorite part were all the references that pervade this entire film. It talks a lot about other great sci-fi movies and even makes fun of some of the tropes in a loving way. You can see the reverence they had for Spielberg and other sci-fi greats.

Sadly, there was a little something missing in Paul. FIrst of all, I probably could have done without the heavy anti-religion bias, but that?s played for comedy so I didn?t take it seriously. The problem is that the movie is humorous, but it rarely seemed as clever as those times that Pegg and Frost collaborate with Edgar Wright. I didn?t get any hearty laughs from this movie, and I also never was wowed by the intelligence or satire. That?s not to say this movie was dumb or unfunny. In fact the movie was written well enough that I was actually surprised in the climax by something I never saw coming. I guess I just have high hopes and expectations when I see Pegg and Frost co-starring in a movie. I think Paul is a good film, it just needed something more in order to make it special or memorable.
June 10, 2017
Utter waste of time and diminishes the careers of everyone involved.
½ March 23, 2017
Simon Pegg and Mike from Spaced make it pretty entertaining. Schmaltz syndrome strikes but I still liked it.
February 27, 2017
An EPIC sci-fi comedy!!
February 12, 2017
Funny jokes and great storyline
½ February 3, 2017
Wow this is fun!!! :)
January 25, 2017
Great fun film. Really funny. Seth Rogen as Paul was amazing!
January 22, 2017
Very funny film. I loved it.
January 17, 2017
Paul is a really good movie, it's funny the acting and writing are good and what makes this movie good is edgar wright who is One of the greatest directors in film history, he pretty much saved us movie I get this film a 7/10
½ January 11, 2017
Nota: 7.2/10 - 3.6/5
½ December 22, 2016
Sci-fi comedy, made unique by very experienced actors in this kind
½ December 5, 2016
Fun enough from the likable leads but it struggles to stay on topic
½ October 31, 2016
Entertaining in some parts. Offensive in others.
½ August 31, 2016
I LOVE Simon Pegg and Nick Frost they are HILARIOUS and so enjoyable to watch. This movie was another big success from them and for the movie itself in my opinion. Seth Rogen did a GREAT job as playing the voice of Paul. I would DEFINITELY recommend it this movie because if you like Sci-FI, aliens and comedy then you will definitely enjoy this film no thought about it. I give this movie a 93%
August 24, 2016
A funny, entertaining comedy from beginning to end. The characters are memorable and well - written, but some jokes do fall flat on their faces. The film also relies too heavily on sci - fi references at times, but not enough to interfere with the enjoyment of the picture.
½ August 5, 2016
No way! I like this Pegg/Frost movie too
August 2, 2016
Maybe not quite to the exceptional standard of Hot Fuzz, the gags still roll in: and the laughs fall out. Probably too raunchy for some people's tastes, but to others - me included - you would seriously struggle not to have a good time with this movie.
Verdict: B
July 19, 2016
Hilarious start, lame finish.
Actually, fresh first 15, stale all the rest.
Even the extended guest list goes flat as if the director kept yelling - ok, be funny...NOW! And it
Didnt work at all.

Not sure where the magic ended exactly, but it delves into an unnecessary f-bomb fest, as if that's funny.
None of the usual funny ppl have an ounce of humor here - a head scratcher.
So much talent somehow completely wasted here - only Kristen Wiig gets a few chuckles about being high and hungry, but still a little stale.

Go see At Worlds End w Simon Pegg, and DO NOT read a thing about it.
I saw it on the big screen without any prior knowledge and it rocked my world.
Warning, lots of f-bombs, but played for laughs - unlike here.

I had big hopes and wanted to just enjoy it, but was confounded by its pedestrian pace and lackluster quote-unquote comedy.

1 nervously sweaty alien out of 5