Perfume: The Story of a Murderer Reviews

• Dec 21, 2019

Left me in a complete awww for a few weeks.

Left me in a complete awww for a few weeks.

• Nov 16, 2019

It is understandable that people have problem with this movie as a murderer being projected as an artist, crime projected as crude art. But it is the other worldly passion, the strongest desire mixed with enormous talent and sheer will that should be considered which pushed the lead character to whatever he's done. I feel sad to read the negatives of this movie, watched it almost 7years ago and went through it again today. The reviews from people who watched this in recent times were great. As most viewers said, this movie absolutely fits for the description "Masterpiece".

• Nov 11, 2019

Albeit it's sad and disgusting in obvious ways, the movie is ultimately a horrific "fairytale" for adults regarding a highly unusual plot: an asexual psychopath with an abnormally intense sense of smell develops an obsessive desire to capture young female scents within a perfume bottle. In longtime, fictional sexist fashion, the scent of a virgin female, is necessary to reach the peak of olfactory pleasure. Yes, it's an eye-roller in many places; suspension of disbelief is generally demanding - NOT a single person in a massive, public orgy (or elsewhere for that matter) had a plugged nose or poor sense of smell. Nonetheless, the dreary, dark visuals and detailed audio are successful at relaying the putrid, dank, acrid places from the streets of mythical Paris, beyond, and back again. You can seemingly smell things thru your screen, and that's mostly icky. Unfortunately, the serial killer's motivations and actions are difficult to comprehend, as he's been written as one-dimensionally as someone lacking conscious can appear, truly apathetic and evil...yet we see glimmers of his humanity, but little more. He must then be defined by his sick and twisted actions, which helps to save the disturbing film in the end, since Grenouille will NOT be missed by his fictional world, or for a sequel. He fooled people into rapid submission and pleasure, inciting animalistic hunger and exaggerated histrionics, based on scented trickery to a place devoid of ethics and morals...to be out of control and to be controlled. Methinks there'd be a military application for such magic. ========== *NOT for kids under aged 18 (at least). ========== Luca Turin: "by a small leap of logic much beloved of bigots through the ages, the deceased virgin's smell represents Innocence...instead of smelling like a Moscow bus at rush hour."

• Aug 27, 2019

Pointless. Utterly pointless and miserable.

Pointless. Utterly pointless and miserable.

• Jul 05, 2019

Love it. Everything is perf

Love it. Everything is perf

• Apr 27, 2019

Very very boring movie I hate it so much. 2 hours of my time wasted for a plot twist that I caught in the first scene, and yet the movie makes you wait more than 2 hours for that twist with zero enthusiasm or interest. I wished it was even a good twist.

• Apr 19, 2019

An odd story with great acting, production values and a true to life depiction of 18th centurt France. It tells the story of a man with a peculiar gift that ultimately overwhelms him and becomes his demise and the people around him suffer. A true hidden gem of a movie that stands toe to toe with similar movies today.

• Mar 12, 2019

I was drawn to this film because of it's unusual subject matter and notorious director. This is the 5th film I've seen from director Tom Twyker, my favorites being Run Lola Run and Heaven. He has a style all his own, and regardless of what you think of his movies, they are always shot perfectly. Perfume is a compelling story that held me in its grasp until the end. Everything revolves around smell, and you'll find yourself attempting to breath it in through your nostrils in addition to your eyes. Perfect casting, set design, lighting, and costumes. I always feel bad when so much has been put into a film that I know hardly anyone will see. Don't let yourself be one of them. Rating: A-

• Jan 01, 2019

Strange movie with magical realism. Every single scene looked like it was out of a renaissance painting and the creators had to deal with the challenge of conveying a story about smells visually.

• Dec 24, 2018

Please, retire your ass right now rotten tomatoes or instead stop smoking pot man!